Another "CW" hobby - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 PM

Garage

I'm slightly jealous about missing out on the technology.

The technology advances were exciting. But expensive too.

Since this was a part time "hobby business" and I didn't have to rely on the DJ income to live, I spent a higher percentage of my DJ earnings on equipment, software, vehicles and stage attire. I bought high end equipment from Denon, Electro Voice, JBL, Carver, and other manufactures.
I started out with huge home built wood speaker cabinets that weighed 125 pounds housing JBL drivers in the 70's and ended up with thermoplastic modular speaker system from Electro Voice, which weighed 35 pounds each for a four piece speaker/powered subwoofer setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmf246 View Post
the loooong version of Inna Godda Da Vida is 17+ minutes; enough for you to go out for dinner....
Bill
Reminds me of the guitar solo scene in 'This is Spinal Tap'

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #33 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Garage
My favorite trick for avoiding a request is to tell the requester that there are requests ahead of his. When he comes back later and asks when will I play his song, I respond "I played it a few songs ago". Requester says something like - oh darn I must have gone outside for a cig, bathroom whatever. And when he request I play it again, I respond that I only play each song once per gig. Works every time.

There was a lot of shock songs back in the day. Honky Tonk Women, Let's Spend The Night Together, The Lemon Song, Little Red Corvette, Walk This Way, Aqualung, Tonights The Night, and many many more. The only difference between those old songs and the new shock songs are that I liked all those old songs because I was a kid when they were released. I don't like the new shock songs because the kids listen to it to piss off us old guys. Confession, I might be guilty of playing songs when I was a kid, to piss old people off. What goes around............

The old songs were clever innuendoes instead of the current crop. Tough to understand the, in your face, words on the new songs too. Modern artists, especially rap and hip hop, do not enunciate well either. To be fair, there are a lot of hip hop that I do enjoy listening to.

Last edited by syjos; 02-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #34 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 PM

I traveled to Detroit in March of '73 to see Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" in concert at Cobo Hall. Best concert ever for me. They had 256 Altec Voice of the theater speakers mounted around the walls of the arena. Incredible sound. During teardown of the concert some of the speaker enclosures fell to the ground and got broken. I bought 2 of 'em at a very reasonable price. I had new enclosures made to spec for 'em and brought 'em home. They were fed via a Macintosh preamp thru 2 750 watt RMS heathkit mono amplifiers. Talk about THUMP. Could make your ears bleed.
chickenwire and easyryderca like this.
post #35 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 PM

I haven't heard of a Macintosh pre amp in years & heathkits Fox . That was a lot of power 750 rms per channel not no wimpy peak power. I remember back in the 60s the dude that sold the high end audio equipment were i lived he preferred mono over stereo . I use to have dynaco speakers back in the day but couldn't afford the dynaco pre amp & amp. Glad to hear you got to see Floyd in concert Fox. The light show must have been awesome.
post #36 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

I had a Heathkit radio system for my flying models back in the day. Good system.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #37 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The old songs were clever innuendoes instead of the current crop. Tough to understand the, in your face, words on the new songs too. Modern artists, especially rap and hip hop, do not enunciate well either. To be fair, there are a lot of hip hop that I do enjoy listening to.
Ah yes, inuendo. Not "You're the only one who could take it all in your mouth" kind of stuff. (Actual lyric I heard when surfing internet radio . . )

All this talk makes me think I'm shopping for a new amp for my pole barn.

I also need to buy screws for the sheet metal because I fear I'm going to vibrate the nails out by mid-summer!

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #38 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM

One of the best car forum threads ever!

Excellent work gentlemen, I felt like I was right there with you listening to a wonderful conversation and walking through the memory garden. I thought of one of the early "light shows" where an overhead projector was used, rear scree, with a clear dish of colored oils and water swirled by the operator's fingers. A little like a high speed lava lamp.

Nice to see some of those equipment names in print again. I remember 8-Track tapes being some early road art, cases broken and tape draped upon the roadway. Next, on a smaller scale, it was the cassette tape. I still have some of those late high end cassettes with little reel to reel guts. Used CD's for Christmas decorations at the college when they were sent out promoting every kind of whatever was "new" next. Hard to put your hands on the digital medium.

When Mom's house was torn down a few years back, there were cases of LP's collected by my brother who died in 1977. A time capsule actually. He had an eclectic taste in music that covered the spectrum. Should have kept them. We're all getting to that point where it often seems we're the only ones who care about what we've experienced. I think it must have always been, just our turn now.

Thanks for your good works.

Richard Snipes
easyryderca likes this.

Last edited by 4501 Safari; 02-08-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: type
post #39 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Garage

All this talk makes me think I'm shopping for a new amp for my pole barn.

I own a 52' X 21' X 18' boathouse that is wood framed and sheathed with sheet metal.

I have a 7 channel surround system in it with 8 speakers and a subwoofer driven with a Yamaha surround receiver. I plug my iPod into it. I recently added a powered M&K 12" subwoofer that I purchased at Goodwill for $20. I had two Sony 8" powered subs previously.

The M&K's go an octave lower than the Sonys. When I crank it up, the sheet metal in the whole structure vibrate.

I often wear hearing protectors when working in the boathouse and I like to hear the sound system with them on.
easyryderca likes this.

Last edited by syjos; 02-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #40 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

So you had to upgrade your sound system in order to have it overcome your hearing protection?

The scariest thing about that statement is not only do I understand it, it sounds like something I would do! lol

Several years ago I decided to ditch the ear buds when mowing on the lawn tractor. Sweat in the ear canals made them too uncomfortable. I took my Senheiser "cans" out of my den and started using them. My wife said "I shudder to think of how loud you have your music in those."

"Just the opposite, by blocking out the mower noise I don't have to crank up the tunes to hear them."

Took that a step further a year ago when my kids bought me a set of Senheiser noise cancelling cans. The work on bluetooth but using noise canceling with that connection drains the battery faster. Using the cord works fine, you just have to deal with the cord when getting on and off the mower.
easyryderca likes this.

post #41 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

syjos - I bought a Sony Walkman a few years back and put a 256g sim into it. I have nearly all of my music in full lossless on it. It will connect to the Yamaha surround receiver I was gifted at Christmas via blue tooth and I haven't noticed any loss of range or fidelity with it - haven't investigated into whether I should expect it or not.

I plug it into the Onkyo in my pole barn via aux jack. It's not a big hassle but I might consider blue tooth on the next amp I buy.

Never thought about scouting the local Salvation Army or Goodwill for used higher end stuff. Would make sense that some people will just ditch them without knowing what they truly had.

post #42 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage

One of the best car forum threads ever!
Excellent work gentlemen, I felt like I was right there with you listening to a wonderful conversation and walking through the memory garden.

Thanks Richard,

I am having a great time discussing one of my favorite subjects.

I've been on music, stereo, audiophile and other forums and most of those are pretty contentious. They are still arguing about analog vs digital, expensive speaker wire vs zip wire etc.

This thread has been a friendly reminiscing of the past in regards to music.

Last edited by syjos; 02-25-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #43 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post
I remember 8-Track tapes being some early road art, cases broken and tape draped upon the roadway. Next, on a smaller scale, it was the cassette tape. I still have some of those late high end cassettes with little reel to reel guts.
Richard Snipes
Ah yes! The shimmering ribbons strewn along the interstate! lol

Cleaning out some storage crap I came across a bunch of cassettes. Refused to throw them out because I want to go down memory lane with them. Just have to find something to play them on now . . .

post #44 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Light show? Somebody say light show?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	den10.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	93643   Click image for larger version

Name:	den09.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	93645   Click image for larger version

Name:	den08.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	93647   Click image for larger version

Name:	den11.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	93649   Click image for larger version

Name:	den07.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	93651  

post #45 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage

Cleaning out some storage crap I came across a bunch of cassettes. Refused to throw them out because I want to go down memory lane with them. Just have to find something to play them on now . . .

Goodwill or any thrift shops usually has cassette players for sale for less than $20

I found a Nakamichi LX5 cassette deck at St Vincent DePaul last fall. Bought it for $15 and sold it on eBay for $265! These are legendary studio quality cassette decks with a flat response and minimal noise. I had one in the 80's.

I cruise through all the thrift shops regularly and have picked up vintage audio gear to resell on eBay. There's not a lot of vintage equipment available in thrift stores, but when they have something, it is priced low. The employees at thrift stores probably know nothing about vintage gear and price accordingly.
easyryderca likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode