I need computer help!! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I need computer help!!

I'm trying to salvage an older computer for my children's school work. How can I remove a partition on a hard drive running Windows XP Home. I can only get it to run from the system part of the hard drive? Do I need to change the way it boots?

I'll have to gome back to this. I'm leaving for work right now. Thank you for any help.

COOL MAGGIE. 2006 Polished wheels. Steel /Sand. #3458 Premium, Power, and Convenience. Monsoon.
Her Name is Maggie. Her personalized plates are MAGNIFY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedup
I'm trying to salvage an older computer for my children's school work. How can I remove a partition on a hard drive running Windows XP Home. I can only get it to run from the system part of the hard drive? Do I need to change the way it boots?

I'll have to gome back to this. I'm leaving for work right now. Thank you for any help.
It would help if we knew what brand computer you have.

Many, such as HP, make it virtually impossible to remove their "restore" partition.

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It would help if we knew what brand computer you have.

Many, such as HP, make it virtually impossible to remove their "restore" partition.

It is HP. I'll probably buy a new hard drive and reload windows

COOL MAGGIE. 2006 Polished wheels. Steel /Sand. #3458 Premium, Power, and Convenience. Monsoon.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Quote:
It is HP
OK, I'm not the computer pro here, but I've learned you can't mess with the partitions on an XP from HP.

What exactly do you want to wind up with? Do you want to remove everything, reformat, and reload the operating system?

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Buy a new hard drive and install Linux!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
OK, I'm not the computer pro here, but I've learned you can't mess with the partitions on an XP from HP.

What exactly do you want to wind up with? Do you want to remove everything, reformat, and reload the operating system?

YES. The computer now will not recognize the storage section of the drive. It is storing onto the partitioned sectioned.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 PM

First you need a bootable floppy disk. Create the bootdisk on your good system but DO NOT use it on your good system. You can get a bootdisk image from here. Insert a blank floppy disk, double-click on the boot98sc file and it will create the disk for you. Download delpart, copy the file to a bootable floppy disk, turn your OLD computer off, insert the floppy disk into the OLD computer, make sure the computer boots from the floppy disk, when you get to the "DOS" prompt type delpart.exe, delete all partitions you see, exit delpart, and reboot the computer. All partitions should be gone.

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 PM

I'd say get a new hard drive, you can probably try to save the existing partition, but most likely too time consuming.

If it were me, I'd find out what type of HD it is, manufacturer and size. Then go to that manufacturers website, download their particular drive formatting utility for dos, and format it. I doubt you have the restore disk from the manufacturer, since you said it's older, and may be long gone by now. You'll need an OS to run on it after the format. If the HD size is anything less than 20gb, I'd get a new one. They aren't very expensive anymore, just saw a 300gb for 80. You could probably get a new 160gb for about 40-50. If you're going to spend the money on a brand spanking new OS, you might as well put it on a drive you can use for a while. Just my 2 cents.

Solstice #1 - 2007 Solstice GXP 12/06 - 10/09 (Sold)
Solstice #2 - 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe 10/09
License Plate - CHGO SOL

Mod List:
DDM - Aeroforce Gauges, Pro Beam, Backbone, Pipes, Coil Cover
JPM - Console/Visor Covers, Doorpads, Handle, Loops
Solo - Solo Mach Shorty
Hahn - Intercooler
Werks - Polished Turbo Cover
GM - USB Radio, GMPP Tune & Intake, GXP Z0K Sways
Other - Kuda Phone & Ram Laptop Mount, Backup Cam
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 PM

The computer may not recognize a large hard drive (>137GB) depending on how old it is.

2007 Cool GXP with Darkside Top, 5 spd, Ebony Cloth, Monsoon with Single CD, Sport Pedals, XM, A/C
Mods:Trifecta Budget Tune, Solo Performance Street/Race Exhaust, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Tires, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:42 AM

Chances are, if its running XP, its good to go with any size hard drive. Problem is, if you start messing around with partitions, you're going to nuke the whole hard drive and will end up reloading everything. So, safest easiest thing to do would be to just replace the hard drive. You can buy software that will change the partition info safely, but only do that if you're willing to reload everything if necessary. I rarely trust that kind of software.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 AM

we use a tool called "Partition Magic" lets you resize partitions, change primary etc
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Retired Free Range Sols

Quote:
Which model of theirs? I have two of them, one older model which I'm planning to do the same to, I've blown it away several times over the years, and reloaded/upgraded the OS without an issue. It came with 98, ran 2000 for several years, and the next install will be XP, or 2000, depends. Right now it's waiting for me to get it a new hard drive. It's a 9600 Pavilion. The one I use is an a450y, and adding a second large drive is looming large in it's future. But I've reinstalled it already twice, not pretty, and it's a 2-3 day process to get all the software reinstalled, and up & running again.

Feel free to PM me, I've been using HP computers for eons, even before I worked for them!

06 NA...was 106k miles, do-over at 12k
06 NA...56k miles...Black today, black tomorrow?
01 Aztek GT...102k miles...Black and loaded. Best non-Solstice ever!

Team Solstice 2006 & 2006

Life is good with a pair of Sols in the garage.

Runs/Meets in '06:13 '07:13 '08:7 '09:9 '10:9 '11:6 '12:4 '13:3 '14:2 '15:3
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:27 AM

Fired, first why would you want teh computer to run from anywhere but the partition where the system is stored. That is a given, also one of teh reasons it is difficult to store an operating system on a zipdrive, for example (it can be done, changing boot order, making teh drive bootable, etc) If the OS is on drive C you have to boot from drive C

One of teh things with computers even only a few years old, they do not come with a MS Windows disk. Each mfg has it customized, they install at teh factory, XP many times partitions to keep a mirror of the system on the second part for recovery purposes. The original rescue and restore disk(s) from HP will allow you to restore the computer to its original configuration and some even allow you to set partitions differently then. The downside is you lose all data on the computer. THat can also be good. Assume you have backed up and removed all critical data of your own a ful restore might be the best solution.

If your C is too small compared to D it could be that the original intent of this computer was for graphics and audio/video. In that type of application you store all teh data, the byte hungry files on D, away from the OS.

I have never tried removing a partition with other software as I was under the (mistaken?) assumption that you could not change partitions without losing data.

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help. I have some thing to try now!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM

If you know anything about dos. Use a boot disk from WIN 98 and use the fdisk program on there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode