Military: tell us your story - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Military: tell us your story

We have all enjoyed communicating with MSG McKee. He hasn't posted since 1:46 AM October 23. Must be very busy on something important.

Anyway, it occured to me that there are many, many military people here on the Forum. Probably most of them have some interesting stories to tell us, perhaps some action they saw, perhaps some sacrifice they made for our country.

I, for one, would like to hear from these American heroes. May I offer this thread to you guys and gals to share some part of your service with us. On behalf of everyone, my famous

SGhS (Seven Grouphug Salute)

(introduction continued below, could not include all the images I wanted to)

I borrowed this beautiful flag from RidgeRunner 02/17/06:

Attached Images

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
(continuation of introduction to include the other images)

And of course, my highest honor, the

SFS (Seven Flag Salute)

I now yield the microphone to y'all. Thank you.

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/

Last edited by Gizmo; 11-29-2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: 5:07 PM added the Edit PS:, 3:38 AM added a space in otherwords
post #3 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Sol Driving Member

Thanks Gizmo.

I have to be one of the luckiest Master Sergeants in the Army. In 24 plus years of service I have never been deployed in harms way. Many of the units I had just left got deployed and some that I waw assigned to just returned from deployments.

My hat is off to those that have endured back-to-back deployments or had short turn around times between deployments. I really feel for their families since they bear a great burden. As Soldiers (service people of all services too) we have a job to do on deployments so that time passes, the family on the other hand has to do everything that was done before in addition to worrying about us and not know what is happening.

All together I spent more than 9 years in Germany and loved the country. I have also sent plenty of time away from my family in training exercises or providing training to other units. I have volunteered for deployments, but someone determined I was needed more where I was at the time as disapproved my reequests. (Must have been answering my wife's prayers.)

I have what I consider to be one of the best jobs in the Army and that is being an Army Career Counselor. My job is to keep Soldiers in the Army and to assist the Army by keeping the right Soldiers in the right jobs to meet the congressionally mandated end-strength. The best part of this job is being able to get a Soldier what they want as an option, such as being close to home or going overseas or maybe even some money. In over 19 years of doing this particular job I am proud of the fact that I have never once run across a Soldier that thought that I screwed them over in the process of keeping them in the Army.

Wicked 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe on order 24 October 2008 Produced 7 April 2009 Delivered 6 May 2009 VIN 1G2MT25X59Y000038 (Watched her come off the truck)

Original 2006 NA Ordered: 8 Sep 2005 Delivered to dealer 15 Dec 2005 (Watched her come off the truck) Traded 6 May 2009 #5357
post #4 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:36 PM

I guess I don't have any real stories to tell. Been an Air Force Firefighter for the past 7yrs or so. Now I'm teaching fire students down at Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo Tx. Spent a total of about 9 months of my career over in the desert in Oman, Afghanistan, and the United Arab Emirates. Nothing too big to tell, but wanted to take the opportunity to thank Gizmo and everyone else who supports us. It means a lot more than you think.
post #5 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to jerzkid Send a message via Yahoo to jerzkid
I've got a story, oh boy do I have a story. I had to open a second window to the forum because I've been writing for an hour. Almost done now though. be posting it soon

Her Name is NESSA....
Conceived October 27th, 2005
Born ???
My two Quotes with the help of Gizmo:

In the Solstice there is only one direction, straight ahead.

You're never lost in a Solstice, you're simply taking the long way

Ah Nessa, mi corozone es perdido en ti.
post #6 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Founding Member

9th SOS RVN

Nothing but old tales here...I was in Nam 70-71 for 366 days and 4 hours, not that I was counting or anything. I was the flying crew chief on a 02-B in the 9th SOS out of Bien Hoa & Phang Rang. We were a Psy-Ops outfit that dropped paper (leaf-lets) and sound on the VC & NVA. We were known in-country as the BS bombers. We had huge speakers built into the side of the aircraft so that we could "encourage" the VC to lay down their arms after a tough battle. We also have dropped "paper" on more than one US Army firebase and a few naval ships with rather humorous results. We were also known to play Purple Haze & We Gotta Get Out Of This Place at high decible levels to the grunts in the field while awaiting new targets. You really can't make this stuff up!
post #7 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 PM

This may be quite long, so I apologize if you don't make it all the way through.

My story begins from the day I was born. If you ask anyone in my family, they will tell you that I was born to be a Marine. I idolize my grandfather more than anyone in the world. He was a Korean War Veteran (SSgt, 1bn, 2nd Marines, Charlie Co.) and also fellow Purple Heart Recipient. When I get to the part about how I got wounded I will tell you the irony of my grandfather's experience.

I graduated from Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, VA in May of 2000. From there I attended Virginia Military Institute with a Major in Physics and a Minor in astronomy. After my short stay there (I left right after the ratline, my grades in everything but physics and Calc were dwindling) I went home to Winchester, Va and worked in the medical field. When May of 2001 came around, I decided that my time had come to do what I was born to do. I called my recruiter and signed up, five days later I was on a plane headed to Parris Island, SC.

My boot camp experience was a very trying one for me. I was assigned to Plt 3070, Kilo Co, 3d Bn, MCRD. During first phase I had my first kidney stone in my life. I dealt with it and went on with my training. I made it through training all the way to our A-line (field) training when I awoke on a Sunday morning in a pain I had could not even begin to describe. I went to the doctor that Monday and they told me that they though I may have appendicitis. After several days of diagnosis, it was determined that surgery was the only option. Thursday night I had my surgery and was told that I would be placed into Medical Rehabilitation Platoon for no less than three months. Saturday morning I was released on no duty status back to my platoon. I can't really describe the feeling you get when you are told that you have to stay on Parris Island longer than intended, but let me say it is not a good one. My gut and the spirit of my grandfather instilled in me, I managed to do 17 pullups and 100 crunches in a minute and a half. Monday morning, the deciding factor on whether I would be allowed to stay with my platoon and graduate on schedule came. I had to run my final Physical Fitness Test. If I didn't pass, I was to be dropped to another platoon. I got my 100 crunches, and I managed 16 pullups (my Senior Drill Instructor made me stop), I ran 3 miles in 20 minutes and 49 seconds (once again my SDI would not allow me to go faster). After my PFT I went to the doctor for my final evaluation for training. The doctor said I was the fastest known recovery to my surgery ever recorded on PI, with a complete recovery time of 4 days. Needless to say I stayed with my platoon, went through the crucible (which really sucks) and graduated from PI as a Private first class on August 31, 2001. I had no idea what I was about to happen to my life.

I was originally scheduled to fly out of Dulles Airport to Jacksonville, NC on September 11, 2001. Thankfully that didn't happen, as I got my leave extended to perform Recruiter's Assistance. What happened that day never really hit me until I was here in New Jersey on September 11th, 2005. In order to save time I went through all my job training as a combat engineer, and was assigned to Bravo Company, 8th Engineer Support Battalion, Camp Lejeune, NC.

January 7th, 2002: We recieved a callback on Saturday morning to return to base, we were to deploy to an undisclosed location, for an undisclosed ammount of time. I returned to base and less than 12 hours after being recalled, my platoon was on a plane headed for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. When we arrived in GTMO, we were told that it was to be the site of a prison for high-level, Al-qaida and Taliban Terrorists. These were the ring leaders, not the minions. Our mission was to build a prison to house 200-500 prisoners, code-named Camp X-ray (now a household name). Over the next 4 months we built the prison, guard housing, interrogation huts, and laid over 27 and ahalf miles of concertina (razor) wire. I saw things on that base I never thought I would see in my life. I saw prisoners that were literally just the shell of the men they once were curled in balls in a dirty prison cell with the tarantulas and scorpions that inhabited the area the prison was built. I saw prisoners attempt suicide, because they got unruly and were "broken" by the riot control. These men didn't think they were ever going to see the outside of a prison ever again, and they deserved it for their crimes. We returned home to Camp Lejeune on April 12th of that same year.

January 29th, 2003:
We had been on lockdown (standby) for 2 months. I was now working in the Armory fixing my Battalions weapons. We get the word that it is finally time to deploy again. Once again we did not find out to where until we were on the plane, but we all knew, and we knew that this time some of us wouldn't come home. We arrived in Camp Coyote, Kuwait the next day. The next month and a half we did nothing but prepare to give our lives for our country.

March 19th, 2003

It's cold, windy and we've been sitting in a hole behind a gun for the past week. We get the signal to load up on the trucks, we were moving foward. All of a sudden the sky was one gigantic fireball, scuds and patriots were the only things we could see. Surprisingly we were met with minimal resistance crossing the border. Safwan Hill was very lightly guarded and most of those troops surrendered immediately. We started to have high hopes that we would make it to Bagdhad with little to no resistance. We had no idea how wrong we were.

2 days later, approx. 2:45 AM

We had been in the back of the humvee for days, literally. We stopped for nothing, and no one seemed to remember what sleep felt like. We had just rolled into the town of Al Basra, and trhe British were engaging in a heavy battle to our east. All of a sudden, we recieve a call on the radio to shut down all vehicles, get out and pull security, and don't say a word. I comply. I am laying behind my gun with my Night vision goggles on and I feel the ground start to shake, I hear a rumbling in the distance. After a few seconds I finally see what is causing the commotion. An Iraqi tank has just stopped about 100 yards in front of me. The thoughts that ran through my head as I saw that turret start to turn my way are too obscene for this forum, but lets say I knew that I wasn't ever going to see the sun rise again. Out of nowhere, the tank explodes and molten steel rains down around us. Being a bridge battalion, we didn't have any armored vehicles, and only 4 anti tank missles in a 109 vehicle convoy. The Brits had noticed what was happening to us and and brought in heavy equipment to defend us. That was it, or so we thought.

The next day still came, no one had even fired a shot in Basra, and we recieve a new mission. Rescue Jessica Lynch. The Marines job was simple, stage a firefight on the south side of An Nasyria, and pull all the enemy troops away from the hospital. I won't go into detail with that, it's a memory I choose not to unearth even in my own mind.

Finally we move to Numiniah, which was supposed to be our final stop in our advanced, as 2d tanks had taken Bagdhad. By this point we had slept once in a week, and still have not had a hot meal, or a shower. A day after we were told that we would sit at SA chesty, we were back on the road.

Now to Al Kut and the worst part of my first tour. We sit in Al kut for about a month. Still no hot food or showers. Finally a hot meal arrives. Then a shower. After 2 and an half months without those things, hot shoe leather would have tasted good. Showers came just in time, we had just gotten out of our chemical suits, and dysentary was spreading like wildfire. We all eventually got it. Sleep was still lacking. My post was from 6 PM to 6AM on the city side of our camp. By 6:30 AM it was too hot to sleep. I hadn't slept in about 2 weeks (time becomes a blur when that happens) and I am on post, just me and my assistant gunner. 3:00 in the morning, a platoon of 25-30 Iraqis decide to open fire on our post. 15 minutes and 400 rounds later, they are all eliminated. The sun begins to rise and I see the sandbags that were my cover are beginning to empty. I have never valued my life more than that day.

Thats the exciting stuff of OIF I. Now the only thing that really happened on OIF II.

August 26th, 2004 Karbala, Iraq 3:00 AM

I am with a new unit. The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit. We are in the heart of the Sunni Triangle and have been taking a hefty ammount of Mortars and Rockets for about a month. Attached to us is 1bn, 2d Marines (remember my grandfather?). I am now the chief weapons custodian for MSSG-24. We had a mission that morning. A simple, and very straight foward mission. Go to Fallujah, pick up these 8 trucks and get the H back. Nothing new, we did this all the time. Little did we know how very wrong it would go.

I was in the lead vehicle, an up-armored MTVR (medium tactical vehicle replacment, aka a really big truck), along with 13 others. To my left was my friend J.R., from Boston, Mass. And to my right was my buddy Bart, from Havertown, PA. Both were MP's and were simply on the convoy to drive vehicles back from Fallujah. We leave FOB Kalsu and head on the road, our eyes peeled for anything suspicious on the roads, as IED's (more commonly known as roadside bombs) were becoming very hazardous. It is dark and cold. We drive for about an hour and stop at a small base just outside of Bagdhad to drop some people off and get some chow. Myself and J.R. decide to take a whole box of muffins for ourself, as eating was our favorite pasttime. We begin to leave the base. That's the last thing I remember before it happened.

August 26th, 2004 somewhere near Abu Gharib Prison, Iraq

All I remember is hearing a "THWACK". I awake and I am being placed on a helicopter. I am on a stretcher, and I can't move my legs. There is blood everywhere and my mouth is filled with rocks. I hear someone yell " oh my God! Pontiff (my last name) is alive!". I had been called in as Killed in action, and there were 2 Marines that were seriously wounded, J.R. and Bart. We get to Bagdhad hospital and I get the worst news of my life. I was told I would never walk again. J.R. and Bart were in Surgery, we had all sustained signifigant shrapnel wounds. As I am coming down off the Morphine I was given on the Helo, I ask the doctor how the guys are. J.R. had very massive surgery, but is now in recovery. That's all he said. I reiterated that there were two others, and, reluctantly, he told me that Bart had died in Surgery. The shrap had hit an artery and they could not stop the bleeding. I broke. I cried for hours, between puffs of cigarette after cigarette (I smoked 3 packs in 6 hours). I went to O.R. recovery and told J.R. that Bert had died, it didn't register with him until he got to Germany.

When I got to Germany I decided I was sick of being in a hospital and sick of being in a wheelchair. I was going to walk, I was going to be an outpatient. I did just that. I grabbed my cane, walked to the charge nurse's desk and said send me to Kleber (the outpatient facility). Never was I to be in a wheelchair on American soil.

I arrived home in mid September, to the tears of My mom, sister, and wife (fiance at the time, ex-wife now). I spent the rest of my time in the Marines recovering from having broken every vertebrae in my Lumbar Spine. J.R. made a full recovery, and after a shoulder replacement and replacement of the humerus bone in his arm, is still serving on active duty. I have some, but little contact with him. Barts family still lives in Havertown, Pa, and I plan to make a visit soon. The only physical scars I have are a small entry wound behind my right ear, some small scars on my back and a complete lack of an ear drum in my right ear. I was awarded the Purple Heart on March 1, 2005.

I will never forget my good friend Barton R. Humlhanz and I pray he rests in peace. As for me, I am now fully recovered and plan to pursue a career in Law Enforcement.

Gizmo, thanks for asking me to tell my story. While it is a story I do not like to tell, it helps me to talk about it.

Her Name is NESSA....
Born ???

post #8 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Founding Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzkid
This may be quite long, so I apologize if you don't make it all the way through.
Holy wow.

You have my everlasting gratitute for your service.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
post #9 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to ARKTEK
Jerzkid! Unbelievable! Forget the the celebrity status I mentioned the otherday. HERO is more fitting! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your sacrifice.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Sly/Black Leather with all the bells and whistles.
Vin #1773

Words of wisdom: if it doesn't fit use a bigger hammer!
post #10 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Thank you ArkTek. I just thought of something though, I have a shirt that says "Operation Iraqi Freedom, Mission Accomplished, 2003". If that was true, the why did I get hit in 2004?

Her Name is NESSA....
Born ???

post #11 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Founding Member

Thank you for sharing. Helps to give us all perspective. Thank you thank, you, thank you for your service.

Semper Fi!

Thanks again Bob, for building my car! Envious/Ebony VIN #0051
post #12 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Founding Member

jerzkid,

My words of thanks will be insufficient to express my gratitude. Regardless of how tomorrow may turn out (if indeed the Lord gives me tomorrow), you have helped make my today one of freedom and pleasure. God bless you.

--Chemist
post #13 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks a million guys. I have never been one to expect anything though. I personally see no reason, while I do appreciate it, for praise on my behalf. I did what I was supposed to do with my life, nothing less. I never did it for praise and gratitude. I do thank all my brothers in arms for thier sacrifice as well, even if it was not as great as mine, I know there are worse too though.

Semper Fidelis
OOH-RAH!
YUT!
and all that jazz.....

Her Name is NESSA....
Born ???

post #14 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Someone got the CliffsNotes for that post.

All kidding aside, that is a great story. Why isn't that in the MSM? Oh right, they are rooting for the terrorists.

Thank God for our Military! I know you hate to hear this, but you are all heroes in my book. It takes courage and sacrifice to do the things you are asked to do for our country. Something by the way, you volunteered to do! I hope you go on to do great things in life and from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Semper Fi and welcome home!

Serene will be a color! Even if only on one car.
post #15 of 263 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:55 PM

That is one touching story.....thanks for sharing it and thanks for your service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode