Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 AM

AKA "FasFac"--fast forward air controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 263 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 AM

"War Stories"

This is a little long, disjointed, and not that well thought out, but here it is anyway.

I don't know, I am always hesitant to talk about my military service. Seems to me that it is somewhat self-serving to talk about the things I've done, as if they are exceptional. I have been blessed to have the physical ability (rapidly diminishing with age), and intellect (barely) to serve in the US Army my entire adult life. I can't, in even the slightest way, begin to tell you all how proud I am to have done so - or how truly blessed by God that I am able to continue to serve.

I think the act of service itself, is what is commendable. There is nothing any one of us will ever do, that can be any MORE honorable than serving. But, those who have not served, through either their lack of qualifications (8 of 10 HS graduates today cannot enter the US Army due to physical/mental/conduct issues) or because of other life choices, don't necessarily have any less honor than those of us who serve in the military. I have as much respect for the folks who work, with either little pay, or as volunteers - with the physically or mentally disabled, or who work for the betterment of others at physical, financial, or personal risk in marginal places in the world. Those of us who serve could not do so without the support of those of you who do not - so, who should be commended? All of us? I think so.

While serving as an advisor with the Iraqi Army, I saw many heroic Iraqis who lived, served, and many who died - with no honor, praise, or monuments to their sacrifice. Yet their service and sacrifice is just as honorable as any of us being praised for our service on this forum. I don't know, maybe I'm still PTSDing it a little..

I'm very blessed to have a family, with the support of my best friend, my wife, for the past 19 years. The fact that they think I'm a pretty neat guy, in part because of my service, makes it all worth it. The greatest day of my entire life, the finest moment, was when I ran up the jet-way when I arrived home from Iraq - and I saw my beautiful wife and my three kids (all dressed up, with balloons in their hands, and jumping up and down)[I can barely read as I type as my eyes still well up thinking about it], hollering my name. How blessed am I to have a memory like this?

I told my son (who is in Army ROTC now), "how lucky can you be? To have a job your whole life that can make you cry, give you goosebumps, make you so proud that you quickly and clearly tell anyone what it is that you do? I'm a Soldier in the United States Army... God how I love it.

As of 18 Nov 2009 I will have 29 years, active, reserve, enlisted, commissioned. Currently a Brigade Commander in the Army Reserve. Been shot at, mortared, rocketed, VBIED'd - but only knocked down, never hit. Germany, US, Iraq, Kuwait - so far. Platoon Leader, Co Commander, Bn S3, Bn Commander, advisor, Bde Commander - so far. Thank all of YOU, all you Americans, for giving me the PRIVILEDGE to serve.

I'm stayin' until they make me leave..

"A knuckle draggin', prominent brow ridge, Combat Arms type.."

EnviousSolstice, Monsoon,6 CD changer, cruise, chrome wheels,XM,two-tone leather - and an Army logo sticker on the back..
post #258 of 263 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
That was a very inspiring post, CavOfficer. Thank you so much for your words and for your service!!!!

Here's a wonderful tribute to 17 of our Marines killed on Makin Atoll in World War II. There bodies were recovered and brought to the US ten years ago. Have your box of tissue paper handy!

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #259 of 263 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Here is a wonderful salute to a fallen soldier being returned to Georgia in June 2009:

A Hero's Salute - Staff Sgt. John Beale

I would be proud if I could call Georgia home. They really did this right!!!!

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #260 of 263 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 PM

Semper Fi!
post #261 of 263 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM

My daughter and her husband who are stationed at Fort Campbell were featured on the front page of the local newspaper last week. This photo was taken at the Farewell Ceremony for the 252nd MP Detachment. His unit left on Wednesday to do 3 weeks of training at Fort Dix, then on to Iraq for 12 months.

Daniel and Brittany Wadham with Baby Lillian

I'm baaaaaaack!
post #262 of 263 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsno1fan View Post
My daughter and her husband who are stationed at Fort Campbell were featured on the front page of the local newspaper last week. This photo was taken at the Farewell Ceremony for the 252nd MP Detachment. His unit left on Wednesday to do 3 weeks of training at Fort Dix, then on to Iraq for 12 months.

Daniel and Brittany Wadham with Baby Lillian
Please pass on to Daniel that he has the love and respect of over 5,000 active Solstice Forum members.

My most respectful seven salute to Daniel and his wonderful family:

post #263 of 263 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Well, this thread has grown large and cumbersome.

Please join me at the MILITARY THREAD- NEW, here's an easy link:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...30-09-a-59034/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode