Military Thread Vol 2 (New 08/30/09) - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Military Thread Vol 2 (New 08/30/09)

Well, the original Military Thread has so many posts, it has become cumbersome. So I thought I would start a new one. Here is most of the introduction from the previous thread:

It occured to me that there are many, many military people here on the Forum. Probably most of them have some interesting stories to tell us, perhaps some action they saw, perhaps some sacrifice they made for our country.

I, for one, would like to hear from these American heroes. May I offer this thread to you guys and gals to share some part of your service with us. On behalf of everyone, my famous

SGhS (Seven Grouphug Salute)

PS: For those who have not yet done so, I highly recommend that you read the old Military Thread, some VERY interesting stories and posts. Here's a link to the original thread:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ur-story-7277/

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
First round NBA choice goes to war in Iraq

I'd like to get this thread off to a good start with an interesting story on today's MSN.com.

In 1999 Mr. Tim James of Miami was selected for the NBA in the first round (#25 overall). OK, he wasn't a star, but he made big money and played overseas.

He ended his career in 2008 and joined the Army. He is now a star in Iraq, here's a link to the whole story:

Ex-NBA 1st-round pick James now serving in Iraq - NBA News - FOX Sports on MSN

My very special seven salute to this man of courage:

SPS (Seven Patriot Salute)

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

I suggest that everyone take a look at this video, it is very inspiring, especially at the end. God Bless Our Troops!!!!

nr_j0199_landing

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ASETech67
Amen Brother!!

2008 Aggressive GXP (VIN 8Y113718) Premium package, CD/w USB, Monsoon Sound, XM Radio, Onstar/Bluetooth, Turbo Center Brake Light Cover, Engine Bay Fusebox Cover, Race Backbone, ProBeam, T-bolt Clamps, High Polished Engine Cover, GMPP Tune, Standard Splash Guards (Front/Rear), High Polished IC Charge Pipes, High Polished Turbo Cover, Mach Shorty Exhaust, WindRestrictor Version 2 w/Red LED's, Illuminated Door Sills (GXP/Red), GXP Leather Center Console.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

A Vietnam War hero gets promoted out of Texas

Colonel Robert L. Howard, of Waco, Texas, left his residence in a hospice with orders to report to Heaven. This man was nominated THREE times during one tour of duty in Vietnam. Two were downgraded to avoid details of his heroism, due to his actions being Top Secret, or whatever. President Nixon presented him the Big Blue in person in 1971.

Read about this man:

A Warrior Passes in Texas

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Berlin Airlift and the Candy Bomber

Travis Air Museum has an incredible website, but I direct your attention to its salute to the Berlin Airlift and particularly to the Candy Bomber (below the main story):

Travis Air Museum

The museum is located about halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento. I hope to visit during my next trip to California.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Garage
Gizmo,

Thanks for this (and the original thread). I was looking forward to meeting you (Aug 22), now I'm really looking forward to it.

When I came home from Iraq in March 2004 (after 13 months over there) our first stop back on US soil was Bangor, ME. We were met by the local VFW with applause, tears, cell phones (so we could call family) handshakes and slaps on the back. (it's giving me goosebumps now) These were Vietnam Vets and even a couple of WWII Vets and they were thanking ME for my service. No no gentlemen, I thank you for yours! WE got the welcome home that the Vietnam guys deserved. So, from one veteran to another, Thank You, Welcome Home ad Job Well Done!

I may post some of my "war stories" sometime but I had to thank those guys and as one poster said before, thank you all for your support. You don't truly understand how much it means to us. Thank you.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog4 View Post
Gizmo,

Thanks for this (and the original thread). I was looking forward to meeting you (Aug 22), now I'm really looking forward to it.

When I came home from Iraq in March 2004 (after 13 months over there) our first stop back on US soil was Bangor, ME. We were met by the local VFW with applause, tears, cell phones (so we could call family) handshakes and slaps on the back. (it's giving me goosebumps now) These were Vietnam Vets and even a couple of WWII Vets and they were thanking ME for my service. No no gentlemen, I thank you for yours! WE got the welcome home that the Vietnam guys deserved. So, from one veteran to another, Thank You, Welcome Home ad Job Well Done!

I may post some of my "war stories" sometime but I had to thank those guys and as one poster said before, thank you all for your support. You don't truly understand how much it means to us. Thank you.
What a great salute to those who served, maddog4, thank you. Yes, the Vietnam Vets deserved the same welcome.

When there was talk of building the World War II Memorial to the veterans, I actually went up to many vets I would see at the Houston VA Hospital. I would say to them:

"I don't think they need to build a memorial to you WWII vets."

He would look at me kinda strange, then I would say:

"We already have a memorial to the WWII vets. It's called the United States of America. Without those vets, our way of life would have come to an end. And you can't build a better memorial to them than the entire USA."

Just three more weeks to the Aug 22 meet. I can't wait!!!! See you there, good buddy.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Well just like some of the other people on these posts It took me a while to decide to post anything just for the fact that I try not to gloat or show off that im in the military. I dont have any spectacular stories or anything. To be honest my career is only really starting and I've only been in the air force about 4 years as a f-16 mechanic. I have been to Iraq but being in my career field I never leave the base where the real danger is. Dont get me wrong I still have morters and random gunfire shot at you on the base that is still dangerous but its not like Im staring it in the face. Im all set up to go to korea at the end of november and from what I hear its not bad at all. As far as im conserned I still try my best to do everything I can to support everybody in every branch in this war to get people home safe including myself. Believe it or not our f-16's definitly do some major damage over seas to to help or people on the ground. Our biggest things is blowing up weapon storage facilities, and believe me i.ve seen some videos and their not storing squirt guns over there. So thats just my 2 cents thought I would chime in.

2008 N/A Mysterious and Wicked (SPEED DEMON)

Current mods:
RK Sports front bumper, side skirts and hood
SOLO street race exhuast and high flow cat
Norms diffuser type dual rear facia (black with red solstice)
DDM VDI doors
DDM works custom turbo set up for 300 whp
DDM backbone
DDM probeam
DDM stage 3 clutch
DDM A pillar gauge pod with Aem gauges
DDM valve and coil cover
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Thank you for your service to our country, brownleka. You don't have to put yourself in harm's way to be a hero, what you are doing is outSTANDing, keeping those F-16s flying.

On the radio waves over the Persian Gulf:
Quote:
Iranian Air Traffic Controller: "Unidentified aircraft, you have entered Iranian airspace. You must exit immediately. Over."

Unidentified Aircraft: "I am over international waters and I have not entered Iranian airspace. Over."

Iranian Air Traffic Controller: "Unidentified aircraft, you ARE in Iranian airspace. If you do not leave immediately, we will launch four jet fighters to attack you. Over."

Unidentified Aircraft: "Iranian Air Traffic Controller, I am Major Smith of the United States Air Force. I am flying a fully-loaded F-16 aircraft. Go ahead and launch your four jet fighters. I can wait for them. Over."

Nothing but silence on the airwaves after that.
And brownleka, good luck on selling your brown convertible top. I can see why you prefer a black top, with that black Solstice.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Kudos to you brownleka! I'm a retired F-16 crew "Dog." Like you i always wanted to be deep into the action but our jobs as great and important as they were always kept us away. I was stationed at Kunsan Korea my last year in with the "Headhunters" great squadron lot's of history. Is that where your headed? Anyway,good luck to you and all the guys in your unit were all proud of you guys. I miss the action of the flightline everyday! God Bless the troops, active, reserve and retired and especially those who gave all! Amen!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 AM

Garage
Smokescreen,

Amen! And thank you for your service to our great Nation. Brownleka, good luck in Korea. I've never been stationed there but I hear good things but pack warmly, I hear the winters are brutal. Being from Fort Worth, the summers shouldn't be too bad for you. I hear it's like TX, hot and humid. And thanks for what you do. A couple of your Falcons backed us up by letting loose with a couple of danger close JADAMs (sp?) back in Aug '03. They really pulled our collective butts out of the fire on that one. Those guys wouldn't have been there, were it not for peolpe like you who keep those birds flying. So, thank you and all the best.

-Jason
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM

Garage
I was watching the news last night and there were some "people" protesting something about the wars. I'm not really sure why or what they were protesting but everytime I see this, a very special event comes to mind that always puts me at peace.

Before Iraq kicked off (Feb '03), we were on our way over and had to stop in Atlanta for fuel before we jumped across the ocean. We were allowed to get off the plane and take care of whatever business (bathroom, smoke, etc) we needed to take care of. In order to do so we had to walk through the terminal. As we walked through the terminal everyone stopped and began to applaude as we walked by. People shook our hands, little kids hugged us and there were very few dry eyes (to incude those of a few Soldiers). I get goosebumps even now (7 1/2 years later) because of that show of support from my fellow citizens. It's things like this that dwarf the few naysayers. For all of you that support our troops, I say thank you.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog4 View Post
I was watching the news last night and there were some "people" protesting something about the wars. I'm not really sure why or what they were protesting but everytime I see this, a very special event comes to mind that always puts me at peace.

Before Iraq kicked off (Feb '03), we were on our way over and had to stop in Atlanta for fuel before we jumped across the ocean. We were allowed to get off the plane and take care of whatever business (bathroom, smoke, etc) we needed to take care of. In order to do so we had to walk through the terminal. As we walked through the terminal everyone stopped and began to applaude as we walked by. People shook our hands, little kids hugged us and there were very few dry eyes (to incude those of a few Soldiers). I get goosebumps even now (7 1/2 years later) because of that show of support from my fellow citizens. It's things like this that dwarf the few naysayers. For all of you that support our troops, I say thank you.
WOW, that story really touches me. Did you really see that? I saw a video of that happening and I always wondered if it was just something created to make us feel good or was it for real. Thanks for sharing, maddog4.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM

Garage
This video has made the email circuit but it is errily similar to what I described above.

I'm sure this the video you are referring to Gizmo. And yes, I did see this first hand. At first we were like "what's that noise?" (I was toward to back of the plane and was one of the last ones off) This video makes my eyes all leaky because I know that this kind of stuff really happens and it truly does fill my heart with pride for my country and the great people in it.

Last edited by maddog4; 09-02-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Updating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode