• 5 Post By YO MUDA
  • 1 Post By The_Ghost
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By Bama
  • 2 Post By Alannn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

profile, about me, location

Maybe its just me being an ole fart, but I wish members would fill out their profile page. The lease you could do is put where you are located, I mean whats it going to hurt? We may be on vacation and like to meet up for lunch or drink, but I guess if yer scared or hiding from the law I understand. Im sorry, I just had to get in my daily rant.
JohnWR, SolCal, pyrofreek and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:21 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
Im at the beach!!! bring lunch and cold drinks( diet for me, I dont do sugar) does that help?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:37 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Most who post regularly make it known where they are located

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
Im at the beach!!! bring lunch and cold drinks( diet for me, I dont do sugar) does that help?
I love the beaches of nw Florida.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:38 PM

I agree, we don't need a street address, but it won't hurt anything to tell us what state you are in.
It's funny that sometimes people will ask a newbie where they are located and they don't have a location in their own sig.

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
Maybe its just me being an ole fart, but I wish members would fill out their profile page. The lease you could do is put where you are located, I mean whats it going to hurt? We may be on vacation and like to meet up for lunch or drink, but I guess if yer scared or hiding from the law I understand. Im sorry, I just had to get in my daily rant.
You have to understand...the median age for this car is about 68. And people that age are afraid of technology and that Big Brother might be watching...when in fact, Big Brother has all their information already. If you have a cell phone with a subscription service (Verizon, Sprint, ATT, etc), they know where you go, what time you go, where you live and who you talk too..... The only way they don't know any of that is if you a "burner" phone...ie pay-as-you-go. And if that scares you, wait till the OEs start selling the data from your car that they are collecting from the car you're driving!! Already here if you own a 2018 or newer car....sorry guys. Let's see how many freak out over that last sentence.....
Fla Tom likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 AM

I was part of the .gov data breach so if knowing I used to live in Boston but was too lazy to change my location when I moved nine miles away hasn't benefited anybody it could have by now, they are amateurs!

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
I am not 68 and not afraid of Big Brother, but I am afraid of companies like the owner of this forum who share the data with many many other companies.

This forum shares and sells the data to over 200 other other companies !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I was part of the .gov data breach so if knowing I used to live in Boston but was too lazy to change my location when I moved nine miles away hasn't benefited anybody it could have by now, they are amateurs!
Too late there RedOne.... If you drive a 2018 car or newer, all of your data is being collected so it can be sold. Sold to places you go, insurance companies, places you drive by, etc... Eventually you will receive advertisements on your radio/GPS screen and in many cases, possibly won't be able to put your car in drive until you watch a 30 second commercial that will be geared toward where you drive, how you drive and when you drive. Your phone company right now is working on this!! They are fighting in court right now as to who owns this data...the OE or the owner of the vehicle...but with what's happened with John Deere, I'm pretty sure the OE is going to win since software is copywrited. Too bad the owner doesn't own it and can sell it...it would be a way for the owners to defer the cost of their vehicle if they so chose....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I like the beaches hear too!!! I get oh somany solicitation calls already how wood I know if this site sold my info.... to whoo? I aint skeered, I pay cash. and I dont answer the home phone when it rings...and the cell gets a ignore if I dont know whoo it is. I get lotsa spam, but I dont eat it..if you send me a email and it go's to spam I loo over the subject quickley and then deleate them or save 1 if needed. not a big deal to me I only get 25-30 a day.....and it takes about 25- 30 seconds to do it. just another part of life, like the crap in the mail box or CNN
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
I dont answer the home phone when it rings...and the cell gets a ignore if I dont know whoo it is......email and it go's to spam I loo
Too late, if you have a home phone, cell phone thats subscription (Sprint, ATT, Verizon) they have all the info they need. Do you own a home? Or like I said, a newer vehicle then a 2018? If you have an android phone, it tracks you, whether or not you have your location on. Google sells that information to advertisers. Back several years ago, there was someone on here that wouldn't buy a cell phone because he was concerned about Big Brother. If you bought a car in the last 5 years, you signed paperwork for the "Freedom of Information Act" that allows the OE to sell your information. It's kind of a "you MUST sign this paperwork, or we can't sell you a car" type of thing.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:45 AM

I really don't think that most people leave their locations blank because of a concern about Big Brother.
I am certain that many don't care about location, and don't know why anyone else would either, so they just don't bother.
The remainder (and maybe the majority) are probably more worried about letting local thieves know where they live and when they might be away from home.
The_Ghost likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I really don't think that most people leave their locations blank because of a concern about Big Brother.
I am certain that many don't care about location, and don't know why anyone else would either, so they just don't bother.
The remainder (and maybe the majority) are probably more worried about letting local thieves know where they live and when they might be away from home.
this!! thats the skeery thing.your local thieves surfing the webb to see when your gone...never post on the std main stream meida when your going where and try to refrain from posting all those awesome pics while your there, instead post when you get back home and reflect on the awesome/horriffic time you had.....( some people will never have a good time no mater where they are at)
the reason I dont answer the home phone....always solicitors. if it rings past 10pm I probably do as it would be one of the kids with a limb dangling by a vein....
people have reason's that make sense to them.and thats ok. but they could get left out of somethen....and thats ok too , but they may not think so......crap the home phone is ringing again....hey it stopped!!! always does.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
I pulled most of the info I had in my profile and garage because I was thinking seriously about leaving here. Like most newbies I was enthusiastic and excited to be here and wanted to participate in the forum. But it got to the point that just about every time I posted anything, I felt that someone would blast me for what I had to say.

I quickly learned that if it had to do with mechanical work - since I'm not a mechanic - to keep my mouth shut and not repeat anything I've been told by a mechanic. Just stay out of the conversation.

It's easy to get offended when you're a new puppy jumping around wanting to talk and doing and saying things that may not be appropriate - and then get snapped at by an old dog whose been around, seen it all before, and doesn't necessarily have the patience to put up with a young pup. Their responses can be a bit too blunt sometimes.

Why post info (or anything) about myself when I don't feel particularly wanted here? So I pulled it.

A few stepped up and made friends; easyryderca, solcoupe171, and yo muda. Rob and Mother were encouraging - and one of the main reasons I've hung around (so blame them).

I've been around computers since before there was an Internet. This is the only forum I've ever joined and participated in. My skin is not as thick as those who've been at this for a long time. We all want to be accepted, particularly at a place we enjoy going to.

So, if people aren't posting info on their profile, perhaps it's because they're more cautious because they do have experience in participating in forums and might be waiting to see how they are received here. Or perhaps, like me, they aren't sure if they want to stay.

And even at that, I'm not going to tell you who I really am, what I've done, or what I do. I don't think you'd believe me if I did. In my original profile I had "Adventurer" as occupation. I'll just leave it at that.

The profile info here, I feel, stays pretty much in-house, for those like you reading this to know about us and the cars we own. The personal info that gets sold is what you provide when you purchase a membership - which is one reason I haven't bought a membership.

I do not own a credit card - and I do not own a cell phone, because I want to limit what Big Brother knows about me. And I agree, he already knows a lot, but that doesn't mean I can't control some of it.

Every phone call (conversation) you make, every text or email you send, every time your cell phone pings a tower, every time you use your credit card is recorded and stored (for future reference) by the NSA. (They even have Hillary's 30,000 emails.) We can't get away from it - we can only limit our exposure when possible.

I made a purchase at a store the other day and the cashier asked for my phone number. I said it's 555-5555 and you should have seen the astonishment on her face! No one had ever given her a (knowingly) false number before and she didn't know how to react.

Sometimes I give them the number to the local police department... that really screws with their head.
YO MUDA likes this.

Just An Ordinary Average Guy

With A Super Cool Car!

Last edited by Bama; 06-03-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
...It's easy to get offended when you're a new puppy jumping around wanting to talk and doing and saying things that may not be appropriate - and then get snapped at by an old dog whose been around, seen it all before, and doesn't necessarily have the patience to put up with a young pup. Their responses can be a bit too blunt sometimes...
I love the way you put that. With that insight I believe you will have plenty to add to help the forum, even without the Solstice experience of the old dogs. Glad you are sticking around. I'm a new pup too still in my first year of Solstice ownership.
YO MUDA and Bama like this.

2007 GXP Pure
Probeam/Backbone/Trifecta Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode