• 1 Post By je4wheeler
  • 1 Post By mjpxd
  • 1 Post By RedOne07
  • 2 Post By Saveaux
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Turn Signals in NC

Here in North Carolina, there are no laws regarding the use of turn signals. The State Driver’s Handbook has guidelines for turn signal use but that is all. There are a great many drivers who take advantage of this lack of direction to confuse as many other drivers as possible. For one example, two drivers at an intersection in opposing lanes of traffic waiting to make left turns. Both have lack of judgment to signal, neither will go waiting for the other to proceed through all the while holding up traffic behind them.

I attribute this lack of judgment to the fact that not every driver can be expected to operate a motor vehicle AND figure out how turn signals work AT THE SAME TIME.

A little more than a week ago, while hunting a parking space in a lot, I located one and made my intention clear I was going for that space using my turn signal. In the lot, not far from the space sat a minivan just sitting there, a lady driver and a couple kids in the back.

As I climbed up and out of my Solstice, the lady called to me, “I was waiting for that spot!”

I walked over to her van and told her if she had signaled her intention, I would have gladly passed it up for her to have. As it was, I figured she was waiting for someone.

She quite sternly informed me that signals are not required in this state.

I countered with, “Lady, with kids in your van I should think you would use every safety device available to. . . . .” There I stopped, looking at her kids and said, “Never mind, with kids that ugly, I don’t blame you.”

I went on my way. I looked back and saw her yelling at her kids who were gleefully laughing.
sirwm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:24 AM

turn signals seem to be an option many drivers are not getting on their vehicles.
Sting Ya likes this.

2008 NA, factory chrome wheels, power windows, wind deflector, OnStar.

Midland, GA
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:31 AM

G.S .20-154 a driver " before starting ,stopping ,or turning from a direct line shall see that such a move can be made safely ... and whenever the operation of any other vehicle maybe affected by such movement ,shall give a signal as required "
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:00 AM

Perhaps just be nice next time 4 wheeler.
Sting Ya likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
Last fall I was sitting in a turn lane with my turn signal on, waiting to turn left into a gas station that had 2 entrances, there were 3 pumps in a row between both entrances. There was only one car approaching so I sat and waited. At the last second the car turned into the gas station entrance (without using a signal) that was closest to them. I then pulled in the the entrance that was closest to me. As we both were pulling in towards each other I opted for the very first pump that was closest to me, as I assumed this driver would do the same. Nope. The driver pulled past the first, then the second and continued right towards me. Since I hadn't stopped yet I quickly swung wide and they pulled up to the pump I was approaching, I continued on to the last pump from my direction (or the first pump from their direction). I parked and got out of the car. A young woman was already out of her car and says to me, quite sternly as well, "you saw me pulling into this pump". I was very taken aback as here she pulled into a gas station without using her signal and then pulled through two gas pumps to get to a third while a car was approaching it. I was literally stunned for a moment before saying that had she of used her signal to show that she was pulling into the gas station I would have most likely already been parked and that I really didn't understand because she had already past two other pumps? I then made the mistake of saying that with children in her car she should really be more safe. This sent her into a literal rage and she proceeded to call me names and how dare I tell her how to raise children. One of her young kids got out of the car and yelled "YAH!!". I stopped pumping (very early, I maybe only put a quarter tank in) and left, all the while she was screaming at me.

I immediately told my wife exactly what had happened when I got home and the only thing we could come up with is that fact that people have things going on in their lives that we don't know about. For all I know her favorite cat just died and she lashed out on me. All of it could have been avoided had she used her signal....or had I not of responded to her. For the future I'll ignore people that decide to yell at me.
raygun and Rphillips66 like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 PM

Garage
I attribute today's lack of using turn signals to the 'me first' mentality... or the high price of replacement blubs!

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgab View Post
I attribute today's lack of using turn signals to the 'me first' mentality... or the high price of replacement blubs!
"Me first" is the cause of most of the driving behavior that you see, although I think that there are also a lot of drivers that aren't smart enough to figure out how they work, or what they are for.
Greatgab likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 AM

It's all about me:

https://soundcloud.com/seanmorey/its...-by-sean-morey

Got my phone in my ear, adjusting my mirror, so I can see ME!

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 AM

The other day I had a guy change lanes in front of me and he did use his blinker. It was on for the next 20 miles. It was a newer truck with the added blinker lights in the side view mirrors. That means this guy hadn't bothered to check his mirrors in the last 20 miles of driving.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:03 AM

I currently live in TX and bought a house in NC this past fall. The couple times I've been up there I've noticed that people in NC seem to wait until the last possible moment or when you are closest before abruptly changing lanes and no they don't use signals! I haven't seen it that bad anywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode