Passenger Restraint system - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Passenger Restraint system

Finally followed up with the recall on the passenger restraint system in May. Barely anyone rides with me. Now the passenger airbag light will not light and the seatbelt on the display will not go off. Looked for disconnections, everything connected around seat. Seat belt buckled. Any clues out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Are you saying you have already had the Passenger Presence Seat (PPS) RECALL work done at a dealer?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

yes it was done by a certified GMC dealer.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

yes done by a certified GM dealer
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:26 AM

I would be back on the dealers door step letting them get it right.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:00 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
I would be back on the dealers door step letting them get it right.
What 44thSKY said above. The recall has a 12 month warranty on it, take it back and have it done correctly. (Perhaps take it to a different "certified" GM dealer, I never knew GM dealers were "certified".)

1st 1K - #741
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisowls View Post
Finally followed up with the recall on the passenger restraint system in May. Barely anyone rides with me. Now the passenger airbag light will not light and the seatbelt on the display will not go off. Looked for disconnections, everything connected around seat. Seat belt buckled. Any clues out there?
Did the problem exist from the time it left the dealer, or did it start later?
There are two airbag lights, one for ON and one for OFF. Do either of them work? What about when you power on the car?
What happens when you unlatch the seatbelt?
Do you have a SERVICE AIRBAG message in the DIC or and airbag warning light in the center of the gauge cluster?

There are two connectors associated with the Passenger Presence Sensor. One is on the harness that comes out of the floor, connects to the seat harness, and includes wiring for the seatbelt latch. It lays on the floor and is relatively accessible. The other is clipped to the seat frame and is solely for the PPS. It is only really accessible with the seat unbolted from the floor.

From the description it appears to me that one of the connectors may be disconnected. The airbag on/off lights are controlled directly by the PPS, so if neither is on is likely that a connection is not made. Failure of the PPS has always (to my knowledge) resulted in the airbag OFF light being lit.

If unlatching the seatbelt makes a change it is the second connector, otherwise it could be either.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 02:45 PM

JohnWR, I agree with your analysis, probably something unplugged. My SKY had no lights at all on the PPS from the time I bought the car. My local shop did a Tech 2 (I believe) analysis and told me my airbag was working fine that I just needed a new status light indicator strip. Being new to the car, I took their recommendation under advisement at a repair cost quote of $103. Later, I decided I'll forget the lights. There was NOT a DIC error light, so forget it. Later in a different thread a suggestion was made about the lamp strip possibly being unplugged. And, if my memory is even close, I believe it was you that gave me a detailed explanation of how to remove the light status strip. I did that and found the status light connecting wire laying in behind the lamp UNPLUGGED. I plugged it in and the status lamps still work A-OK today. I've called for an appointment at a dealership on the RECALL, but for whatever reason haven't heard back so will have to follow-up this Fall. Thanks John (and kudos to this forum)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 AM

My thoughts: why not just short the pps to make sure the airbag is always active?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjelle69 View Post
My thoughts: why not just short the pps to make sure the airbag is always active?
Because it is much, much more complicated than that. The PPS actually communicates on the GMLAN, for what it's worth.

1st 1K - #741
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM

But the 'butt sensor' is of on/off type or?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
But the 'butt sensor' is of on/off type or?
You have much reading to do, so get started.

1st 1K - #741
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM

Yes, sigh. I guess you are right... Just checked with my local dealer and apparently my car is not affected of that recall. Opel GT 2007
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Yes, sigh. I guess you are right... Just checked with my local dealer and apparently my car is not affected of that recall. Opel GT 2007
OK, if Opel had still been a GM brand when the recall was announced, it most likely would have been included in the recall, however, since Opel is now owned by Groupe PSA, it isn't included in the recall. Yet you have the same PPS as the rest of the Kappas, which have been recalled.

It appears there is an Irish company that is making a bypass switch that works: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/2152541-post11.html AIRBAG360

Good luck!

1st 1K - #741
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanks,
I found the emulator here: https://airbag360.com/opel-gt-passen...ator-587-p.asp

Very good to have the day that the PPS dies, no reason to do anything before that. :-)

I guess it is like you say, the recall is not active on the Opel yet. I contacted the reseller and they could see on my registration that the keys and ignition lock should be changed so I will do that anyway, who knows the PPS recall might show up here in Europe too in the future.

//Kjelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
OK, if Opel had still been a GM brand when the recall was announced, it most likely would have been included in the recall, however, since Opel is now owned by Groupe PSA, it isn't included in the recall. Yet you have the same PPS as the rest of the Kappas, which have been recalled.

It appears there is an Irish company that is making a bypass switch that works: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/2152541-post11.html AIRBAG360

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode