Tires - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Tires

What kind of Tires for smooth and quiet ride? Suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:03 PM

Some more info would be helpful : Do you have a budget ,are you looking for OEM size ,summer performance tire or all season , are you located in a part of the country where it snows and if so do you drive in it ? I have Dunlop Sport Maxxs on my car and when I need new tires I will replace them with the same they perform well , are quiet , and the few times I got caught in the rain I had no problems but they are a summer only performance tire and my car is stored from November till May I live in Northeast Ohio .
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Michelin Premier is the successor to the MXV4, which is a quiet, smooth running touring tire. I have the MXV4 on my NA and really like them, so I will probably go to the Premier when they are due for replacement.

That said, Sting Ya asks good questions.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Stingya for the questions. Yes due to living in the Northeast, Pittsburgh, car only driven April to October. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:10 AM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Do some research on tirerack.com.
I selected Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my AZ car but selected Continental ExtremeContact Sports for OH because of higher wet performance.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH

Last edited by stevebot39; 09-08-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: more complete description.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebot39 View Post
I selected Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my AZ car but selected Continental ExtremeContact Sports for OH because of higher wet performance.
Either of those are excellent, although I think you'll find the Tire Rack ratings identical for wet performance. The OP has yet to indicate if he is a sporting driver (the type that would buy this sort of tire) or a regular touring driver that just wants smooth ride and quiet tires.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Looking further, RIKEN RAPTOR ZR A/S looks like a great buy. $97 for an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Either of those are excellent, although I think you'll find the Tire Rack ratings identical for wet performance. The OP has yet to indicate if he is a sporting driver (the type that would buy this sort of tire) or a regular touring driver that just wants smooth ride and quiet tires.
The OP also has not indicated whether the car is NA or Turbo. PSS are overkill for an NA.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
PSS are overkill for an NA.
An NA can still corner and brake hard. But as you say, WO has not said what type of driving he does. Smooth and quiet sounds like he needs a touring tire.

SteveBot39

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
An NA can still corner and brake hard. But as you say, WO has not said what type of driving he does. Smooth and quiet sounds like he needs a touring tire.
Yes, it can (check my signature). The NA wears the XMV4 and the RL PSS AS3+ both seem appropriate to the available engine power.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

the car is NA, used for touring only in warm weather and barely in the rain. OEM tires are good but as on other vehicles I got did not go the distance and wore early and according to a dealer they're not the same as if you bought them to replace the originals. So thanks for all for the questions, suggestions and advice. Sorry didn't get back to the post sooner. But a great discussion.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisowls View Post
the car is NA, used for touring only in warm weather and barely in the rain. OEM tires are good but as on other vehicles I got did not go the distance and wore early and according to a dealer they're not the same as if you bought them to replace the originals. So thanks for all for the questions, suggestions and advice. Sorry didn't get back to the post sooner. But a great discussion.
The RS-As that came on the NAs were fun dry-road tires. I really enjoyed the very stable drift that I could get with them at reasonably fun speeds. Unfortunately they were really really bad in the wet.

Do not replace your tires with the OEM RS-As (assuming they are even still available). You may "barely" drive in the rain, but it only takes getting caught out once.

Honestly, with your criterion, I expect you will be happy with just about any tire you choose. I think it would take an awfully awful tire to overcome the chassis for fair-weather touring.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM

I agree with JohnWR. The Michelin MXV4s are a good touring tire. I have them on my N/A too. I have over 30k miles on them and there's still a lot of tread left. I'll probably wind up replacing them due to age rather than wear.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

So what is the opinion for age of a tire? normal touring and car driven low miles? say 2-3000 /year.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Garage
It's not a mileage thing, it is an age thing. Your tires can 'age out' just sitting on the car outside (I believe they last a bit longer in dark, dry storage).

I think 10 years is the usual guideline, so by the end of next year every Solstice should be on newer tires (the OEM tires hardened in only 5 years to the point where I noticed it and I replaced mine with only 12,000 miles on them).

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode