Diode Dynamics Lighting Tech 101: Research Automotive Lighting Technology - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Diode Dynamics Lighting Tech 101: Research Automotive Lighting Technology

Research Automotive Lighting

At Diode Dynamics, we want our fellow Pontiac Solstice enthusiasts to be educated on automotive lighting products, so that they know they are purchasing the best products on the market. We have devoted this portion of our website to doing just that. Here you'll find information on different automotive lighting technologies, how they work and common misconceptions you'll see while shopping for your vehicle. We hope you enjoy learning all about lighting!

Any questions? Email us at [email protected] or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks!
Nick C.

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 07-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM

I didn't go though all these pages, but I did look at the LED page and see you got some of your facts 180 degrees wrong (in red).

Quote:
Flasher Module Replacement.
The turn signal is controlled by a flasher module. Many vehicles use a standard-sized removable flasher module, which can be replaced by an LED flasher module, which is designed to blink at a regular speed with the lower resistance of LEDs. This method is a simple, plug-and-play fix, which should be used whenever possible due to the ease of installation. However, many newer vehicles have the flasher module built into the vehicle's BCM (computer), so it cannot be replaced.

Resistor
Resistors. A universal fix for all vehicles is to add resistors to the circuit. Resistors can be connected to the turn signal power and ground to convert some of the power to heat in order to create resistance on the circuit. This makes the vehicle think a factory bulb is being used again, and will cause the turn signal to blink at a regular speed. Diode Dynamics provide 6 Ohm resistors, which is usually enough resistance to replicate one bulb. So, if you replace front and rear bulbs with LEDs, you will probably need to use a resistor on each bulb, or four total. Since resistors convert power to heat, they get hot during operation, so they should not be mounted onto any soft plastic. Resistors should be installed so that they are hanging freely, or only touching metal surfaces.
The issue with LEDs is that they don't use as MUCH power as filament bulbs. So they actually appear to have a HIGHER resistance - with the emphasis on the "appear" since they are active devices, not passive ones.

The load resistors are placed in parallel with the LED bulbs to DECREASE (NOT create) effective resistance 'on the circuit'. Thus the lighting circuit uses as much power as the original filament bulb and fools the flasher relay/module (or the E/BCM in more modern cars) into thinking the filament is there and present and using the correct power.

If you are putting technical information on your site, it behooves you to put correct info there.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I didn't go though all these pages, but I did look at the LED page and see you got some of your facts 180 degrees wrong (in red).
You're 100% correct, it is just much easier to explain the concept in this way, for those who may not understand the difference between passive and active devices and how resistance relates to power. It's a bit counter-intuitive that adding a resistor actually decreases total resistance. We'll change the wording to focus on power use instead. Thanks!

EDIT: Refresh your page, should be good now. Thanks! http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/r...earch-led.html

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 06-19-2014 at 11:36 AM.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Yep. That works.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
TS
Esplain reluctance to him. Go ahead, I dare you

R

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 PM

Hehehheh. Trying to say I have a 'magnetic' personality, Rob?

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Nick C.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Any thoughts about making the side lights near the front of the car into turning lights that cast a light to the side with the turn signal activated?

What I mean is, if at night I am turning right (I am supposed to have my right turn signal on), it would be nice to cast a light to the right so I can see any people or animals or inanimate objects that might be in my way.

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Any thoughts about making the side lights near the front of the car into turning lights that cast a light to the side with the turn signal activated?

What I mean is, if at night I am turning right (I am supposed to have my right turn signal on), it would be nice to cast a light to the right so I can see any people or animals or inanimate objects that might be in my way.

Are you asking if the side-marker can be made into a turn signal?

Nick C.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Are you asking if the side-marker can be made into a turn signal?

Nick C.
Sorry I'm not clear. Not, into a turning lamp that shines a light in the direction I'm turning so I can any living creatures or objects there and avoid hitting them. Thanks.

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Sorry I'm not clear. Not, into a turning lamp that shines a light in the direction I'm turning so I can any living creatures or objects there and avoid hitting them. Thanks.

We have 194-bulb replacements for the sidemarker location, that will increase the brightness, but aren't really intended for usable output per say.

Give us a call when you get a chance: (314) 205-3033

Nick C.

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to cartmann32
Maybe you could have DD make a relay module that once activated will stay on for a few seconds; then you could install a secondary light on either side of the car up front for side viewing.
The Problem with the turn signal circuit is that it's a pulsed circuit....so it's On/Off/On/Off
If you just hooked up an accent light to it, YES it would light the way to the side for you, but it'd also blink On/Off/On/Off.
That's where the Momentary Power Switch would come in handy.
Once it's triggered, if it could stay on for say 10 secs WITHOUT power (obviously tied to battery power via relay) then it could stay on throughout the turning process.

Did I lose anyone yet??

Trax Customs
www.traxcustoms.com
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 AM

Didn't loose me. I had a 68 Cadillac Coupe Deville with turning lamps.

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmann32 View Post
Maybe you could have DD make a relay module that once activated will stay on for a few seconds; then you could install a secondary light on either side of the car up front for side viewing.
The Problem with the turn signal circuit is that it's a pulsed circuit....so it's On/Off/On/Off
If you just hooked up an accent light to it, YES it would light the way to the side for you, but it'd also blink On/Off/On/Off.
That's where the Momentary Power Switch would come in handy.
Once it's triggered, if it could stay on for say 10 secs WITHOUT power (obviously tied to battery power via relay) then it could stay on throughout the turning process.

Did I lose anyone yet??
I'm sure you've seen some of our R&D team's work on the HJ Facebook page. We can design just about anything you need

Nick C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: