Forum roundtable - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:16 AM

To expand on the single emoticon responses, I seem to remember a time when a single emoticon did not constitute enough of a post and the software would not allow it. But that was way back several versions ago. And my memory may not be correct, either. There is the freepost version D2 refers to, but then there is the okay, I agree with what you said and to show my support in a thread without taking up so much time as to rewrite all over again exactly what you just said so I will <insert smilie of choice> instead, type as well

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedup View Post
I'd also like to see members post without the mods chiming in about how thats already been covered. Yes, give them the link but don't chastise them for making the post!!
Agree. Personally I try very hard not to be nasty in any way when a new person's request for info that's been covered a thousand times. I provide a link and nicely refer them to search if they want more information. Most people here do the same from what I've seen. On the flip side I've also seen people complain about why are the same questions being asked over and over but that's the nature of forums We try to provide FAQs, bookmark threads for popular subjects, indexes etc. It's tough with so many posts to keep up sometimes but I think in general we try to do as much as we can on the organization front but always willing to try more ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzybil View Post
PART# section all in one place
On part #s recently member VIN2020 started one that's in the tech forum (referenced in bookmark thread - see my signature) - https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...9&postcount=31

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009

Last edited by mceb; 09-13-2006 at 10:54 AM.
post #18 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fformula88 View Post

If you or anyone can think of another good angle that can be tried, or a wrinkle to what we have already tried, we would certainly give it a shot!
well how about a "Control" that will not accept just an emoticon or a single word...

that would force person "X" to actually type something in.

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #19 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
well how about a "Control" that will not accept just an emoticon or a single word...

that would force person "X" to actually type something in.
I can check, but I don't recall such a setting. There are minimum character settings, I could increase them but may result in the double or triple emoticon freepost...
post #20 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Non-Competitive vendor??

"The Forum does not prohibit occasional and casual mention of non-supporting vendors. But those mentions cannot be so specific that they include addresses, phone numbers, sales contact names, e-mail addresses, URLs or links. And if the "casual" references become frequent, they will be considered as marketing and promotion."

For example: Lawrence that sells the brake light pulsar. As far as I know this is a non-competitive item. Why can't we list his email address or phone number, or show a link to his site within the forum without having to revert to emails and PMs???

fred

Aggressive/ebony - Loaded (all but Onstar, polished)
Vin: 9289
RK Sport Magnaflow duals w/GXP rear fascia
$500 Deposit 1-27-06, Delivered 2-3-06
Objects in my rearview mirror, keep getting smaller and smaller, really quick!!
"Be Careful out there", Sgt. Phil Esterhaus, HSB
post #21 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM

Fred, I assure you and everyone that the way non-supporting vendors is handled is not because of what the supporting vendors tell us is allowed or not. Our guidelines come from the site's owner and all of his site's try to operate the same. Coming to the forum to find information is paramount in many minds. And there are certainly products that would be such a short production run that it may not make economic sense for that vendor to pony up to full scale supporting vendor. Maybe we can achieve a happy medium, offering a more open market while still giving the paid supporters a return on their investment.

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

post #22 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredinVa View Post
For example: Lawrence that sells the brake light pulsar. As far as I know this is a non-competitive item. Why can't we list his email address or phone number, or show a link to his site within the forum without having to revert to emails and PMs???

fred
It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they would be in competition with a supporting vendor.

If people were allowed to post this sort of contact information on the forum for free, no vendor would be motivated to pay the fee to become a supporting member.

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
post #23 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they would be in competition with a supporting vendor.

If people were allowed to post this sort of contact information on the forum for free, no vendor would be motivated to pay the fee to become a supporting member.
she's perfectly right....go to forums(plural) and you will see spam and stuff all over the place- totally unregulated

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #24 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:13 PM

Garage
We will take the non-supporting vendor questions under advisement and try to discuss with forum ownership and vendors to get their take to see if any changes can be formulated. As achief mentioned our policies were molded on several other much larger forums owned by the same group. The fact is when vendors are paying good money to support this forum's operating costs this gets into a touchy area.

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #25 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
I have another one....
and after carefully selecting the synonym.......

one of the most annoying things to me...that maybe could be handled via a programming change or via moderation is

I'm tired of seeing "POST PIGS" {plural} (use your own word) who feel the need to post to every thread all the time...even if it is just an emoticon.

how can that be controlled?
It seems to me that the programming could be altered to give us the choice to see or not to see emoticons. We already have the option to ignore some of the things that display.
For example: Click on [UserCP] at the top of the page on the tool bar. Then click [Edit Options] on the left. Scroll down to...

Thread Display Options:

Visible Post ElementsYou have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

Would it be possible to add emoticons to this list of things to ignore? I think they are fun sometimes, but often over used.
post #26 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Get rid of tallies on posts. That will stop some of the aforementioned Post Pigs. Who cares who has the most posts?

Ohio Plate (rear only): BOBS SLY
Sly/Ebony -- 107796
- Everything except OnStar Purchase date: 28 Jan 06
- Currently 18766 Miles - 10 Oct 08
Mods - Painted rotors & calipers, whip antenna, Custom Windrestrictor w/switch, GM CAI, floormats, door lock/unlock buttons, mud flaps, GXP door sills. New differential at 10882 miles.
post #27 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
SOS

Send a message via Yahoo to SOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs Sly View Post
Get rid of tallies on posts. That will stop some of the aforementioned Post Pigs. Who cares who has the most posts?

Oooops....

SOS
Sol Owner Squid

OLD IS WHEN:
Getting lucky means you find your car in the parking lot.

Honey, I'm home!

"Midnight" Drove her home 28 Feb 2006.
Deep/109726/sand and grey interior/silver & blue pinstripping.
post #28 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM

just venting, it gets really annoying when people try to be funny and post off the wall CRAP in the performance section.

picked up sol on 5.19.06 pure 5 speed with abs, monsoon, lsd, power, convenience, polished wheels
post #29 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs Sly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post

Oooops....
That's why we don't display it on every page and every post. There may be valid uses of the numbers in the member list and if any privileges are tied to post count then it needs to show to at least the admins so they can verify proper application of the software.

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

post #30 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM

how about a "solstice spotting" section so people stop cluttering the general solstice discussion with "ohhh i spotted a (insert color of sol) sol on (insert interstate) in (insert town).

picked up sol on 5.19.06 pure 5 speed with abs, monsoon, lsd, power, convenience, polished wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode