Forum roundtable - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Supporting Dealer

Helping find cars.

Ever since I have been a member on the forum, the single most repeated issue seemed to be waiting on a dealer's wait list (ie; Number 1, 3rd, or even 8th) for a Solstice order. GXP's now seem to be the model everyone is having the most difficult time getting. How do you allow members who have access to information about available cars, to post that info without having to become a supporting dealer? The site only has two dealer members at this point and to have to sign up as a supporting dealer to get this needed information out ot the membership seems counter productive when the dealer will sell it, probably very easily, to a non forum member who has yet to see this site.

Of course, I realize someone (the posting member) may get chastized for possibly having too much markup for what they are asking on a particlar car, but is not having the info available depriving a much needed benefit to others?

N2MY SOL - 2007 Aggressive w/ Ebony leather. VIN# 106661, loaded with all but Onstar. Delivered 8-17-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Member FDIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3M1315 View Post
I would add new sections for various modifications. An engine/performance section (cat-backs, chips, turbos, etc.), an ICE section (or whatever you want to name the In Car Entertainment), wheels & tires, interior modifications (door unlock buttons, new seats, painted dashboards, etc.), and exterior modifications (vertical lift doors, body kits, paint, vinyl, etc.).

And I would love to see articles/threads in those sections. That's why I'm a member on this site is so that I can learn (and hopefully share) a few things.
I've been getting depressed about learning very little and seeing no news on the GXPs (not like anyone can help that). It feels like this site is filled with middle-aged folks who love to drive the car. I want more folks to share the uniqueness of their car; I want ideas, pictures, how-tos...I can put my foot on the gas pedal the same as everyone else on this forum, but I don't want to just drive the car.

I do like that there's sections for general tech, autocross, supporting vendors, for sale, and regional posts. It's a great start, now let's add to it so more of us can learn from it. Otherwise we're just going to repeat threads for years: "I love how this car feels/handles/accelerates/looks ... I know ... me too ... hooray ... party ... still waiting ... $30,000?! ... "
I mentioned this on another thread as well:

I was just thinking that maybe the forum could organize a mods section broken down into categories of systems or parts such as brakes, wheels, stereo, exhaust, exterior panels, etc. That way anyone who has modified their car will have it listed as to what they modified and give subjective and/or objective information about how it improved or worsened the car. For instance if I was thinking about upgrading my brake system, I could go to "modifications/brakes" and read about 5 members who have already done brake modifications. I know there is a performance section and also a "how to" section already, but this would be something a little different.

Keep in mind that this is probably one of, if not thee, finest car forums on the web. I have looked at forums for other cars and none seem to compare to this one, it's very familiar and just feels right. Although improvements can always be made, the forum can never seem perfect to every single member at any given time because we are all different, so some will have more gripes with the forum than others. Also, as the moderators have mentioned, there is a site owner, and the moderators may not be able to just do whatever they want so easily. Keep that in mind when thinking of improvements. Perhaps the best system would be to decide by majority vote. Of course some improvements might be obviously needed (like the red x image when clicking on "more" smilies), but others are more subjective. I'm not saying this is a bad thread, many good ideas have been posted here, I just want to express my opinion. This is a high quality forum.

GXP Mysterious darkside l ebony leather with red
headliner l sport pedals l A/C l single disc Monsoon XM l chrome l no spoiler, onstar, smokers

Exhaust Depot charge pipes/intake, HKS BOV, Solo Street Race exhaust, EDAL, Eibach Pro Kit, Gravana 19" J2 stagg wheels, Eagle GS D3 rubber, HIDs, Optima batt, debadged, tint, Carolina Custom interior with Italian leather and Alcantara and suede backsplash with logo pop outs, Norm's fenders, Trifecta tune

banner courtesy of: crundell

post #33 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
I would like to see a "commission" formed.....

Purpose would be to sit around ........or conference call with the super mod's to air their bitches and gripes.

We have them at work.....they are called "360's" and it means 360 degrees of feedback from the grunts to the management.

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #34 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
OH yeah...how about an ombudsman.Someone that ANYONE can go to with a gripe...and he will have the ability to get it not only heard.......but considered by upper levels.

In a sense he - or she- filters the wheat from the chaff- and moves it on down the line.

NEOKAPPA's

Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #35 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
OH yeah...how about an ombudsman.Someone that ANYONE can go to with a gripe...and he will have the ability to get it not only heard.......but considered by upper levels.

In a sense he - or she- filters the wheat from the chaff- and moves it on down the line.
D2 - isn't that really the role you are playing? I get very little in the way of PM suggestions. I scan the site help/info forum every time, and this is the only active topic here.

I am all for it - maybe people think I am a close minded butthead, but it sure seems like you have a better "inside" line.

BTW - this roundtable was an excellent idea.
post #36 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

If i am nominated I will run

If elected I will serve

NEOKAPPA's

post #37 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 AM

Since it's common for new members to go straight to posting, rather than pore over all existing threads to see if their question has already been answered, how about (...and this sounds like probably more than a full-time job...) inserting a link to the original thread, or PM'ing it to the poster and closing the new post? We get way too many occurrences of:

Quote:
New Guy: Hey! Is it just me, or is there this clunking sound when I shift gears?

Old Dog: This was posted long ago, dude.

Older Dog: Use the search function before posting something like this, man!

New Guy: I tried the search and nothing came up. Can you provide a link?

Old Dog: I don't remember where it is, but we've discussed it many times before.

Older Dog: Look harder. It's out there.

Brentil:

JaxSolMates.com - JaxSols Yahoo! Group - Join JaxSols eMail List (for info about North Florida rides and meets)

Last edited by ScottJSmith; 09-14-2006 at 06:54 AM.
post #38 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM

1. Be more consistent with combining threads. Not sure how the mod's break down which threads they review, but often (especially when the latest TV show, movie trailer, comic book or commercial featuring the Sol is broadcast) we get multiple threads about the exact same thing in different categories, each one taking on a life of its own.

Not really a feature...more of a management thing. Not that I don't appreciate all the hard work the mods do to keep us in line, already.

2. Have a Calendar view that shows all posts, regardless of which calendar the item was posted to.

3. Combine the Sol and Sky forums. I know we had a major discussion about the course of action to take way back when (whether to have one big forum, or a separate one for each Kappa), but looking at both, there's really very little "Make"-specific posts out there, and many of our members are posting the same thread (or a link to the other forum) on both. Keep both URLs, with the respective photo in the header, but put all threads into one forum. Possibly make a "Sol Specific" and "Sky Specific" category.

4. Quote:
    Originally Posted by puresolstice06 View Post
    how about a "solstice spotting" section so people stop cluttering the general solstice discussion with "ohhh i spotted a (insert color of sol) sol on (insert interstate) in (insert town).
    Ditto for a "Track My Sol" and an "I Got Mine" section. Possibly reorganize the Forums into sections and sub-sections (i.e. click on "Regional Discussion" for a page that lists NE, SE, NC, SC, etc.)

5. I've seen another forum (hunted for it, so I could share the design here, but maybe someone else has seen it) that looks like vBulletin, but has a much cleaner look, instead of the boxy table that most forums use.

JaxSolMates.com - JaxSols Yahoo! Group - Join JaxSols eMail List (for info about North Florida rides and meets)

Last edited by ScottJSmith; 09-14-2006 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Combining other posts.
post #39 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

search engine needs a lot of work.

I was lucky i remembered it was Crimson when I needed to look up double-clutching back in July...otherwise my search would not have worked.

NEOKAPPA's

post #40 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs Sly View Post
Get rid of tallies on posts. That will stop some of the aforementioned Post Pigs. Who cares who has the most posts?
I doubt there are too many members looking at their tally and thinking, "damn I only have a thousand and pigknuckle has one thousand and twenty-eight. I'd better start posting smileys everywhere". These are just talkative people trying to get a word in, IMO. If some people choose to communicate in that fashion so what. I find some are way too freakin cheery for me but this is a community at it take all kinds to make it interesting.

Along these same lines, I am sometimes annoyed by threads that start with, "just got my Solstice", and there are a hundred replies of "congrats" or something similar. You can skip through page after page to see if anything of substance has been added like, "how to stop the clunk with a penny", or you can just ignore the rest of the thread and move on. I can live with that, I'd rather not be too critical of how all of us different people choose to express ourselves here.

Also, no offense to our Canadian members but the Solstice is an American car (and one of the few to get this kind of attention) and I don't see why the stars and stripes should be deemed inappropriate or objectionable in the logo. I can see why you wouldn't want it stuck on the backside of your car in Ontario but certainly it can be tolerated on the forum.

That being said, I wouldn't object if the logo was changed at some point to make it cooler or something but not because some people don't want to see the American flag.

BTY I've been to a number of other forums and we have nothing to be ashamed of. Some of the changes mentioned would be nice but overall this is one of the best I've been to.

Elvis has left the soapbox.

GXP
Ordered 06/24/06, built 01/04/07, delivered 01/20/07.

DEEP, AC, ebony cloth, Monsoon, XM, headliner, power seat adjuster...

Mods: J-type Shorty antenna, Red Pontiac decal on wheel hubs...
post #41 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeHigh View Post
I doubt there are too many members looking at their tally and thinking, "damn I only have a thousand and pigknuckle has one thousand and twenty-eight. I'd better start posting smileys everywhere". These are just talkative people trying to get a word in, IMO.

Elvis has left the soapbox.

Elvis......the places i've been...the stories I could tell.
Trust me...they're out there.....

NEOKAPPA's

post #42 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJSmith View Post
[*]Be more consistent with combining threads.
Even we mods find ourselves posting what we may think is brand-new hot off the press info to find it is already here and discussed in detail. We have as much trouble as you determining what is inside a thread from the title. A quick PM to us (my box is empty, hint, hint) or use report a post and an email goes out to all mods at once. Sometimes if the new thread is short and has no new info we just let it fade away, rather than combine.

[/quote][*]Have a Calendar view that shows all posts, regardless of which calendar the item was posted to.[/quote] Are you referring to the calendat calendar or a different view for all posts? Here we will be limited by cpabilities of the software.

Quote:
[*]Combine the Sol and Sky forums.
I think if you asked you might be surprised by the answer. We try to be non-exclusive and it appears all the regional clubs are doing the same. We might welcome a merging back into one, but at skyroadster they might reject the idea. If there were a way to post a news or performance item just once at it magically appeared on both site that would be fantastic.

Quote:
[*]

Ditto for a "Track My Sol" and an "I Got Mine" section. Possibly reorganize the Forums into sections and sub-sections (i.e. click on "Regional Discussion" for a page that lists NE, SE, NC, SC, etc.)
We have been reluctant to organize too many sub and sub-sub forums because of the potential of getting completely lost and the site looking too busy. That's why there are not specific subs for audio mods and rear-end issues and tracking and got mine threads. The members that post that they got their car are looking for the largest audience to receive congrats and kudos, if they had to post that only in a regional area they might lose that big warm fuzzy. And tracking vehicles makes more sense on a collective basis, rather than creating a nightmare of posting tracking info in several areas at once. We do have the regional groups on board and that's the primary place for items that are of just a regional nature.

Quote:
[*]I've seen another forum (hunted for it, so I could share the design here, but maybe someone else has seen it) that looks like vBulletin, but has a much cleaner look, instead of the boxy table that most forums use.
The "look" of the site can be modified ro an extent I would presume. But doubtful that Troy would switch one site and not all at once to different software. That decision is his alone.

Quote:
search engine needs a lot of work.
No argument with you here. The default is time limited, many don;t realize that. To go back farther you need to use advanced search. Even then certain words are excluded,such as solstice, and some are too short, such as GXP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJSmith View Post
Since it's common for new members to go straight to posting,
That's a habit that can't be broken. Re-directing them to the proper location for their answers, etc can be done by any member. Closing the thread does not mean it closes the discussion as now the poster will wonder why they cannot edit their previous post (which happens when a thread is closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeHigh View Post
I doubt there are too many members looking at their tally and thinking,......

Along these same lines, I am sometimes annoyed by threads that start with, "just got my Solstice", and there are a hundred replies of "congrats" or something similar. .......

Also, no offense to our Canadian members but ......

BTY I've been to a number of other forums and we have nothing to be ashamed of. ....
*D2 is right, some watch their count and yours like a hawk. Keeping it off the postings pages and only in the profile has helped and that is tyeh reason it is somewhat hidden. For purposes of new members and privileges it doe s have to be tracked somewhere. If it could be hidden from your view of D2's profile (or mine) would you still want to be able to see your own?
*They are looking, again, for that warm fizzy of being part of the group, being accepted.
*Troy got some flack from up north when the flag went up in 2005. I know there was some discussion at one time on possibiilities of offering choices of banners that you could select as your defaullt view. I know of some sites that offer choices in background color. Don't know how much bandwidth that would consume.
*I think it is one of the best around, as well. But improvement will keep us on top and that is what this thread is all about.

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #43 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

jOHN...DON'T YOU HAVE GRAPES THAT NEED TO BE PICKED?

Wow...what a comprehensive answer

NEOKAPPA's

post #44 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeMan View Post
D2 - isn't that really the role you are playing? I get very little in the way of PM suggestions. I scan the site help/info forum every time, and this is the only active topic here.

I am all for it - maybe people think I am a close minded butthead, but it sure seems like you have a better "inside" line.

BTW - this roundtable was an excellent idea.
I just wanted to add that we also have a special forum that works sort of as a committee. Only the gold supporting members have access to that forum, and are invited to provide insight, suggestions, etc at any time in that section. Yet, even that section has seen limited use by the members who are contributing financially. So in a way, they are the committee for making suggestions, recommendations, etc. We just need them to make them! (as aluded to, anyone else can too. By PM, site help, etc).

This thread was an excellent idea!

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
post #45 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
jOHN...DON'T YOU HAVE GRAPES THAT NEED TO BE PICKED?

Wow...what a comprehensive answer
Can you shut off the rain so they finish getting ripe?

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode