Forum roundtable - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
just to set the record straight.

Ombudsman on this forum has NO POWER...so there is no glory...no throne of kings to sit upon....and no velvet cape to wear

A lot of people do not approach the mods as easily as they would a grunt in the trenches to air a beef...ask a question or lodge a complaint.

The ombudsman is a MESSENGER. accepted by the MOD SQUAD de facto.

people can vent and unload on an ombudsman who can then edit and encapsulate the issue and pass it on to the mods for review and resolution.

No one said it had to be me.

Call for nominations and a vote...won't bother me a bit.
I'm no empire builder...read my avatar...
I just want to help fix what is broken or been damaged over the past year.

peace in the valley

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
just to set the record straight.

Ombudsman on this forum has NO POWER...so there is no glory...no throne of kings to sit upon....and no velvet cape to wear

A lot of people do not approach the mods as easily as they would a grunt in the trenches to air a beef...ask a question or lodge a complaint.

The ombudsman is a MESSENGER. accepted by the MOD SQUAD de facto.

people can vent and unload on an ombudsman who can then edit and encapsulate the issue and pass it on to the mods for review and resolution.

No one said it had to be me.

Call for nominations and a vote...won't bother me a bit.
I'm no empire builder...read my avatar...
I just want to help fix what is broken or been damaged over the past year.

peace in the valley
Let us all know your input - think it's a good idea? Not so good? Suggestions? Nominations if you think this ombudsman thing is a good idea?

I think this thread has helped quite a bit so far. I think the main thing is to start opening lines of communication and constantly improving. I think we've been lax there, and anything that gets information flowing and ideas moving is a good idea...

...but those are only MY thoughts. What're all yours?
post #63 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5907 View Post
No velvet cape?!? If nominated I will NOT run, If elected I will NOT serve.
---5907---
..no cape but there is an ombudsman hat

just stay back from the xxrossers

Phoenix Sky & Solstice Club NASSM2013 Event
2006 Red Solstice - parked
2007 Blue Solstice - Debbie's replacement for totaled 06
2006 White Solstice - Son's DD...needs work
2009 Sky Redline LTD - long distance, top down
2009 Sly Coupe - Car Shows
post #64 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to birdliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeMan View Post
Let us all know your input - think it's a good idea? Not so good? Suggestions? Nominations if you think this ombudsman thing is a good idea?

I think this thread has helped quite a bit so far. I think the main thing is to start opening lines of communication and constantly improving. I think we've been lax there, and anything that gets information flowing and ideas moving is a good idea...

...but those are only MY thoughts. What're all yours?
Since he's willing, please consider my earlier post as a nomination of Druid 2 for Ombudsman or as a candidate for same if it comes to such a process leading to a vote. And good luck to all who are willing to serve.
post #65 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denette View Post
..no cape but there is an ombudsman hat

just stay back from the xxrossers
D2, don't wear that hat anywhere near XMM when he's blindfolded.

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #66 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
John

please invoke Robert's Rules of Order

as senior mod on line right now ( Ithink) and per Bird's post

do this proper...

Invoke RR o R....ask for nominations...seconds and the nominee must accept.
suggest you run it for 72 hours and then close it
and then put the names on a poll...and run it for a pre-determined length of time.

NEOKAPPA's

Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #67 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achieftain View Post
D2, don't wear that hat anywhere near XMM when he's blindfolded.
I remember...never hit a cone ...did he?

NEOKAPPA's

post #68 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Sol Driving Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeMan View Post
Personally I don't see the need for an Ombudsman on the forum, but maybe that is just because I do not have a problem addressing an issue to a person that is in a position of authority directly or to an individual in question. I realize that some people may not do things the same as I do.

The Moderators and Administrators of this forum are very accessible and will (have) explain(ed) their actions when asked. I am also sure that they talk behind the scenes before they take an action that may come across as heavy handed or cause a controversy. What they don't put up with, and shouldn't, is a direct challenge or putdown of the Mod Team in an open discussion. It is my understanding that they are much more likely to listen to a polite query in a PM than a demand in an open discussion.

I have not seen them go overboard to an extent that would require a third party intervention from someone with no authority. To me that just adds another layer of bureaucracy to a forum that is a community.

In my former life I had many occasions to work with people that were adamant in their point of view and did not want to see or hear anything that did not fit with their view. In these cases it did not matter how many other folks tried to explain or interpret what was happening they refused to change, I don't see how adding an Ombudsman will overcome that nature.

If there is an Ombudsman will direct contact to Moderators and Admins be cut off? If not, what is the point of the Ombudsman? If so, why do we need Moderators?

This thread proves that any member can bring forward an issue for discussion and be taken seriously by the Moderation and Adminstrator Team.

Wicked 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe on order 24 October 2008 Produced 7 April 2009 Delivered 6 May 2009 VIN 1G2MT25X59Y000038 (Watched her come off the truck)

Original 2006 NA Ordered: 8 Sep 2005 Delivered to dealer 15 Dec 2005 (Watched her come off the truck) Traded 6 May 2009 #5357
post #69 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_DRVN View Post
Personally I don't see the need for an Ombudsman on the forum, but maybe that is just because I do not have a problem addressing an issue to a person that is in a position of authority directly or to an individual in question. I realize that some people may not do things the same as I do.

The Moderators and Administrators of this forum are very accessible and will (have) explain(ed) their actions when asked. I am also sure that they talk behind the scenes before they take an action that may come across as heavy handed or cause a controversy. What they don't put up with, and shouldn't, is a direct challenge or putdown of the Mod Team in an open discussion. It is my understanding that they are much more likely to listen to a polite query in a PM than a demand in an open discussion.

I have not seen them go overboard to an extent that would require a third party intervention from someone with no authority. To me that just adds another layer of bureaucracy to a forum that is a community.

In my former life I had many occasions to work with people that were adamant in their point of view and did not want to see or hear anything that did not fit with their view. In these cases it did not matter how many other folks tried to explain or interpret what was happening they refused to change, I don't see how adding an Ombudsman will overcome that nature.

If there is an Ombudsman will direct contact to Moderators and Admins be cut off? If not, what is the point of the Ombudsman? If so, why do we need Moderators?

This thread proves that any member can bring forward an issue for discussion and be taken seriously by the Moderation and Adminstrator Team.
Very well put and I tend to agree with all you said.

I believe (and correct me if I am wrong D2) that the reason this has come up is because there is are some individuals on the forum who do not feel they can bring issues to the mods, either in public or in private, without fear of reprisals.

It is really unfortunate that they feel this way, because anything could be farther from the truth. However, in situations like this, perception is reality. So even if having a go-thru contact that they do trust is the right way to go, then that wouldn't be so bad.

If that were to happen, IMO it would not be the only way of contact between the forum and the mod team. In fact, if that were the setup, I would be completely opposed to the idea. Anyone, at anytime, could contact any moderator they felt comfortable with.

Let me add, we all do get contacted often by the forum too. So we do know this is not a universal feeling among the membership as a whole.

I think I speak for everyone on the team when I say that we are all very approachable and willing to listen to someone's thoughts or feelings. As you said, we are not very receptive to public forum comments that read more like attacks, or make issues personal. However, we have no problem with issues brought to us in PM, or even polite threads in public (such as this roundtable).

So I would urge people not to be afraid of us either. We carry a title of moderator, but we are really just members of this forum as all of you are, and our interest is for the betterment of the forum. Everyone is open to ideas, and willing to listen and discuss. Nobody is going to hold a grudge, or make reprisals because of it. In fact, we would often like to hear more from the forum on how we are doing, what they would like to see, etc. It is everyone's forum, and things work best when the membership at large assumes more ownership!

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
post #70 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
John

please invoke Robert's Rules of Order

as senior mod on line right now ( Ithink) and per Bird's post

do this proper...

Invoke RR o R....ask for nominations...seconds and the nominee must accept.
suggest you run it for 72 hours and then close it
and then put the names on a poll...and run it for a pre-determined length of time.
Don't put him on the spot. Thats unfair to him and the rest of the mod team. Besides, there does not appear to be a critical hurry to just rush into this either. Plus, the weekend is never a good time for this sort of thing as a lot of members spend far less time on the forum over the weekend.

If you have issues already you would like to address with the mod team, you may go ahead and do so even though your not an official ombudsman. Nobody needs an appointment or title to send us a message.

Solstice and Sky Fan

post #71 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_DRVN View Post

Good post

2008 AGGRESSIVE SOLSTICE GXP
SMARTIN's SOLSTICE
QUEEN
"THE RED ROCKET"
Custom Tune

2006 Deep Solstice
"O Sol O Mio"
11/15/05 - 02/25/12
RE-TIRED
post #72 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Supporting Dealer

I agree as well .. excellent post!

N2MY SOL - 2007 Aggressive w/ Ebony leather. VIN# 106661, loaded with all but Onstar. Delivered 8-17-06
post #73 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Wasn't trying to hurry things...was concerned about protocol

NEOKAPPA's

post #74 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Wasn't trying to hurry things...was concerned about protocol
Gotcha!

Solstice and Sky Fan

post #75 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'd like to HAVE BACK...the ability to PM more than one person at a time...without paying a " fee"

as a run co-ordinator i often have to send the same PM 5 separate times...
WOFT in my mind

Life is short, so play hard!

Member of the WCKCC: West Coast Kappa Car Club

http://westcoast.kappacarclub.org/

http://lsphotographybymikethompson.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode