New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for SolsticeForum.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join SolsticeForum.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "SolsticeForum.com Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Solstice, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/g...?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your SolsticeForum.com Team.

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Congratulations on the make over.

Of course several people, including me, will do the usual complaining.

But it looks slick & new and in the end we will all get used to it.
AG Jeff likes this.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:04 PM

I like it.
AG Jeff likes this.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Congratulations on the make over.

Of course several people, including me, will do the usual complaining.

But it looks slick & new and in the end we will all get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
I like it.
Heya guys, Thanks for the feedback.

Ping me here with any questions.

Jeff M

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 02:47 PM

When I look at the site, on my MAC, I am not seeing any cars at the top. I think you need to make sure you show a GXP, and a coupe. Admittedly, my motives maybe suspect.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:12 PM

I logged out, and logged back in, and I now see the two base models, on the site banner. My coupe, and the other GXP are cut off. Am I viewing this wrong, or, is this just the way it is?

Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catlles ext. Dejon Ic and Piping, AME w-m, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 5th injector E42, CCW Werks rims 285 front-305 rear Pirelli P zero corsa. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-N-F'n View Post
I logged out, and logged back in, and I now see the two base models, on the site banner. My coupe, and the other GXP are cut off. Am I viewing this wrong, or, is this just the way it is?
It depends on the resolution and monitor size. The site is meant to auto adjust based upon the device.

Jeff M

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:29 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
I have the same objections I had on SkyRoadster, so I won't bother to repeat them here. The colors used here are a bit different, kind of unusual, at least to me, but I'm color blind to several colors, and I'll get used to it.

Having previewed the changes at Skyroadster, this didn't take me as much of a surprise.

Thanks for the effort.

:so-so:

1st 1K - #741
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Jeff View Post
It depends on the resolution and monitor size. The site is meant to auto adjust based upon the device.

Jeff M
My new MacBook air doesn't have enough resolution? I just looked. It has 1440x900. What resolution do you have to have to see the whole banner?

Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catlles ext. Dejon Ic and Piping, AME w-m, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 5th injector E42, CCW Werks rims 285 front-305 rear Pirelli P zero corsa. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 04:00 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
My new MacBook air doesn't have enough resolution? I just looked. It has 1440x900. What resolution do you have to have to see the whole banner?
I just measured after shrinking my window until the two cars on the right side went away (disappeared) . . . ~1500 pixels.

Your MacBook doesn't have enough resolution
AG Jeff likes this.

1st 1K - #741
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:57 PM

Mac here, and also only see two cars, I didn't realize there was an issue until reading LNF comment. But I do see under the New Post tab there is the option to display 2,3,4,5, Last Week, Last Two Weeks, which is cool, thanks for that.
AG Jeff likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 03-24-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks Dave. That sucks, I can't see my car featured on the forum.

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Dave. That sucks, I can't see my car featured on the forum.
I'll be darned, that is your car all the way over there on the right. For what it's worth, my Dell laptop can't display the right side either, I have less resolution than you, and that was one of my complaints over on the Sky site when they implemented to new software over there.

I look at these forums on three different devices, desktop with a 24" screen, the laptop and a 1st Gen iPad. These have a 'look and feel" that is different on each of those devices, and it is disconcerting to say the least.

We'll have to make the best of it.

1st 1K - #741
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM

Same main issue as the Sky site - WAY TOO MUCH WHITESPACE!

Why?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Garage
I agree with TS.

At first I thought someone hacked the site when I opened it up. I dont mind the header change but being a long timer and still user here, it doesn't make it look easier than what we had. If anything I now have to look around more to find what I'm used too. Ah well not like my point will matter.

_

She's an 09 Brazen GXP, Trifecta tune, DDM Race Bckbne,OCC,fndr trim,center console,coilcover and LVKFCB, WERKS tank covers, Hahn IC, KS reBar, Dejon lwr intake,IC and TBE pipes, Solo HF cat with Magnaflow 3" exh, VDI doors, B&G coilovers, ASAP mesh covers, Norms f430 bumper,fenders,side skirts, GTO CAI hood and rear diffuser, Gravana J2's, ZOK bars, custom projector LED Halo headlights and taillights, custom WR & "Madmods" CF dash, pillar & door sills, JPM shifter
Next, making a hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode