Questions and Comments about Update - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Questions and Comments about Update

This is the ONLY place to ask any questions or post any comments about the update. Please check the FAQ first.. If you have any bugs/errors to report, you can do it in the Bugs Thread. Thanks for your patience and support!

Nadeem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks Nadeem!

Although the 'Old' skin was pretty with all those fancy graphics .. it did bog things down, especially for those who often checked in on their smartphones/Iphones/Blackberries. This newer trimmed down graphic will load faster for many.

Also looking forward to delving into some of the upgrades we've missed over the past year or so.

As in any change .. its going to take some time getting use to the new digs!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM

I would like to suggest some thing, maybe instead of just life time member in gold (which I just paid for) I wish it were like the sky forums with GXP or some thing incorporated into it?
post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Not really a bug or error, but display the forum in a window less than 800 pixels wide and watch what happens to the gray Solstice coupe up there on the top right. Decapitation.

1st 1K - #741
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Also, now can I put an image in my signature?
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM

First, Congrats on new server upgrade.

Secondly, this new format is awkward... old one looked more professional, and friendly. I'm sure it's light and loads faster, but really... I never had much problem loading an old format either (who as dial-up nowadays?). This one feels as if it was from a pre-made template, and it feels cold and dry.

It's not because I haven't gotten used to the new format either. Couple of my local sports car forums changed their format to this layout and many people stopped using that forum, and now I don't go there anymore because I got flustered with it as well.

I'm sorry that I'm just putting negativity out there, but that's my two cents.

MKC
[SIZE="1"]
2008 Brazen Solstice GXP
Ordered: 08/01/07
Delivered: 09/18/07

-PCM4LESS TUNE!!!!
-Solo Street Race exhaust
-Dejon CAI, IC Pipes
-Greddy RS BOV
-Boost Gauge, Interceptor Gauge
-Billeted engine caps
-Kappa Windshield
-Blacked-out headlight

Last edited by Solid; 01-28-2009 at 03:49 PM.
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM

My first impression

Well first off, thank god the update is complete. It was causing me to have to come up with actual work to do at the office

On the serious note.

I haven't run across an error as of yet. Right off the bat, I really like the top line photo/forum identifier and the overall color scheme is easy on the eyes.

However, I am not fond of the fact that the actual forum/pertinant informational area feels so cramped/condensed. On a national standard of reading right to left, looking towards the right side of the screen to see the thread info is awkward. Having the advertisements down the left side (I'm sure) is a benefit to the supporting vendors but it comes across as thoguh the advertisments have taken over the priority of what this site is truly about. Sharing information between fellow owners. I know they are a major contributor of keeping the site running and I did not mind them at all before with the old set up, but I rarely come here just to see what add's are popping up, and (as I am sure was done intentionaly), is now distracting as the users eyes return to the left. I find myself having to pay more attention to focus on the next line of a thread without locking onto an add and losing sight of which line was next in the post.

So far the other feature that appears to have gone away that I will miss is when hitting the user CP link for subscribed threads, Any unread PM's would also show at the top of the screen. Now it is an added step for the user that was not needed before. Other than that navigation appears at this point to be the same as before. Thank goodness for that.

Time will tell but I feel the site is becoming more industrial than personal.

DEEP, GT KIT,RK RAM AIR HOOD, DUAL WING, UP-SHIELD, EIB SPRNGS, DEJON CAI & I/C PIPES, CSTM EXHAUST,CSTM PAINT AND GRAPHICS, RMR STYLE BAR, LED AND ACCENT LIGHTS, CSTM GAUGE FACE, DASHHAWK, LAMBO DOORS, AVIC F700BT NAV, BONUS SUB & AMP, Prem. pkg w/leather, A/C, Auto, 18" chrome wheels, sport pedals, Backbone, Probeam, WERKS Tune.

"BLUE DEMON"

"For those who fight for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know"

Former WCKCC member. Now MKC member.
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnys GXP View Post
...Time will tell but I feel the site is becoming more industrial than personal.
I agree 100% with you on everything you said above. Like I said before, this format pushed many people away from many local forums. Hopefully this won't happen to our beloved solsticeforum.com

MKC
[SIZE="1"]
2008 Brazen Solstice GXP
Ordered: 08/01/07
Delivered: 09/18/07

-PCM4LESS TUNE!!!!
-Solo Street Race exhaust
-Dejon CAI, IC Pipes
-Greddy RS BOV
-Boost Gauge, Interceptor Gauge
-Billeted engine caps
-Kappa Windshield
-Blacked-out headlight
post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnys GXP View Post
Well first off, thank god the update is complete. It was causing me to have to come up with actual work to do at the office

On the serious note.

I haven't run across an error as of yet. Right off the bat, I really like the top line photo/forum identifier and the overall color scheme is easy on the eyes.

However, I am not fond of the fact that the actual forum/pertinant informational area feels so cramped/condensed. On a national standard of reading right to left, looking towards the right side of the screen to see the thread info is awkward. Having the advertisements down the left side (I'm sure) is a benefit to the supporting vendors but it comes across as thoguh the advertisments have taken over the priority of what this site is truly about. Sharing information between fellow owners. I know they are a major contributor of keeping the site running and I did not mind them at all before with the old set up, but I rarely come here just to see what add's are popping up, and (as I am sure was done intentionaly), is now distracting as the users eyes return to the left. I find myself having to pay more attention to focus on the next line of a thread without locking onto an add and losing sight of which line was next in the post.

So far the other feature that appears to have gone away that I will miss is when hitting the user CP link for subscribed threads, Any unread PM's would also show at the top of the screen. Now it is an added step for the user that was not needed before. Other than that navigation appears at this point to be the same as before. Thank goodness for that.

Time will tell but I feel the site is becoming more industrial than personal.
Here's your fix for that Gunny:

Quote:
Left hand column - The left navigation bar was only on the main page before, and it has now been enabled on all pages. The left nav contains advertisements, which in turn generate revenues to help support this community. If you do not like the left column, for your convenience, all registered members can turn-off the left-column in your User CP as follows:

Step 1: Click on your “User CP” (on the top “nav bar”)

Step 2: Click on “Edit Your Details” (in left menu)

Step 3: Click “Disable” on Sidebar option (under “Additional Information”)

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Founding Member

All I can say is holy batman what happened to this place?! Colors are nice but wow I feel like a stranger at the moment not at home. Might take getting used to.

Team Solstice 2008

Ordered 11/12/05
Black, manual trans, Premium package, power package, convenience package, floor mats, AC, XM radio, LSD, and Polished Wheels Produced 6/1! VIN:18718

Mods: Fujita CAI, Stubbie Attenna, Lil Chromies, Third Brake Overlay, 35% Tint. Solo Headers, Solo Exhaust.
post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
Here's your fix for that Gunny:
Quote:
Left hand column - The left navigation bar was only on the main page before, and it has now been enabled on all pages. The left nav contains advertisements, which in turn generate revenues to help support this community. If you do not like the left column, for your convenience, all registered members can turn-off the left-column in your User CP as follows:

Step 1: Click on your “User CP” (on the top “nav bar”)

Step 2: Click on “Edit Your Details” (in left menu)

Step 3: Click “Disable” on Sidebar option (under “Additional Information”)
In Step 2 there is no "Edit your details" in the left menu, you will find the appropriate check box under "Edit Profile"

1st 1K - #741
post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolWhat? View Post
In Step 2 there is no "Edit your details" in the left menu, you will find the appropriate check box under "Edit Profile"
Thanks Dave ... I just copied the info posted here:

Pontiac Solstice Forum - FAQ: Update FAQ

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Is there somewhere I can click to change back to the old layout? lol.
I thought I had everything figured out and now this.
Not sure about you guys, but these colors just dont do it for my eyes........it's kind of harder for me to read.
Changing the whole layout was a big move. I didnt even see it coming. Was it discussed anywhere that it was going to change?
I hope not too many people leave these forums because of this.

2008 Deep GXP Manual.
post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
Thanks Dave ... I just copied the info posted here:

Pontiac Solstice Forum - FAQ: Update FAQ
Ok, Dave beat me to it but I found it also. I assume that option has always been there but I never felt the need to use it with the old layout so I didn't know it was there. For the areas that a non payed member can have it removed from it made a world of improvement. I guess now I'll have to pay money to view "everything" more comfortably. Was going to upgrade my status here anyway after I do on the new KP site, so in my case it's no big deal. I'm just glad (and I figured there would be) an answer to fixing it.

Thanks for the direction

DEEP, GT KIT,RK RAM AIR HOOD, DUAL WING, UP-SHIELD, EIB SPRNGS, DEJON CAI & I/C PIPES, CSTM EXHAUST,CSTM PAINT AND GRAPHICS, RMR STYLE BAR, LED AND ACCENT LIGHTS, CSTM GAUGE FACE, DASHHAWK, LAMBO DOORS, AVIC F700BT NAV, BONUS SUB & AMP, Prem. pkg w/leather, A/C, Auto, 18" chrome wheels, sport pedals, Backbone, Probeam, WERKS Tune.

"BLUE DEMON"

"For those who fight for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know"

Former WCKCC member. Now MKC member.

Last edited by Gunnys GXP; 01-28-2009 at 04:19 PM.
post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM

Love the look. This is much more sleek and on par with the rest of the forums out there. Not saying the old format was bad, but this one is much better.

2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe - 37k - Manual, big brakes, limited slip, etc.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 70k - Paid for, Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme BB/Clamps, Dejon Intake

1998 Civic EX - 5-Speed - 213k - Hey, it is cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode