Questions and Comments about Update - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Ok, I became a premium member, removed the ads, used skin #2, collapsed a bunch of menus and now it looks very similar to the old look.

Check out my list of Mods

2008 GXP picked-up 9/30/08
Cool with Ebony/red stitching, manual, loaded - everything except 6 changer CD.

Last edited by PubliusE; 01-28-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Founding Member

It is not my nature to be pessimistic.

I don't prefer the changes that came with the upgrade.

I'll learn to live with them.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #48 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
I feel like I'm standing in the middle of Timesquare NewYork with all the flashing AD's , the forum was easier on the eyes before, and a lot less annoying with the advertising.
yeah, you won't see me back here. this site sucks now.

post #49 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochargedsol View Post

It seems like a shock, I know, but we also heard this when we went to the jazzy but slow/graphics-intensive star-trekkey skin back in the old days...

The colors can be changed over time, the easiest one to go back to is the original turquoise - and it makes upgrading the software version much easier without the super-custom graphics that the old/new skin had.

Personally - and I doubt this is any secret - I wasn't much of a fan of the graphics-intensive skin (aka the 'Star Trek' skin). Some people are STILL partially on dial up (yes, ol' SolsticeMan still has a dialup account because he is too cheap to get intermittent satellite, cable doesn't come to his house, and his area is not served by DSL...). It was EXCRUCIATING to load that stuff up... and it also happened when using satellite when you've been popped for going past download limits and you're no better than an old ISDN line...

If you hop into the wayback machine, you'll see posts exactly like yours when we switched - prolly in the past history archives in the help section. Also, we did have a poll last year, somewhere.

Fact of the matter - custom skins can slow down or complicate software upgrades. Regular software upgrades are now a necessary evil to continually plug holes in the security of the system. Complicated software upgrades cost more if you have a bunch of special functions and graphics that are custom made...

I could use a color change, but I SO MUCH prefer this to the super-eyecandy and overly dark old theme... to each their own, I guess.

JM
post #50 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Administrator

The thing I like about the old (now new) skin is the improved quote visibility. The previous quote boxes were really crappy.

www.solsticeforum.com

the other better thing is the links are easier (for me) to see. they are underlined, rather than just a slightly different color.

Questions and Comments about Update - Pontiac Solstice Forum

I have always (personally) had a much better time reading content and working on SkyRoadster rather than here with the jazzSkin. Maybe that's jus' my personality...
post #51 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Garage
Ahhh no matter what you do someone always gets their cheese moved.

Once some of the small issues are worked out things will be running smoother.

This is actually a skin based off of the original skin before the previous one we had. It loads faster, is less intensive, and works better on phones/PDAs. The perceived slowness at first page load is in actuallity the system hitting back to the google analytics system because their system can be slow on rare occasions.

I'm sorry but threatening to leave a community because the skin changed is kind of childish in my opinion. Hey if you can voice a negative opinion I can voice mine too. You leave a community because of the community itself, not because they wear different clothes.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #52 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
If you disable the intellisense adds as well which is in the same place as the sidebar adds it helps significantly as well since it has to take and render all of those on the fly.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #53 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM

People are so funny with being annoyed with these ads. This site now is more friendly for sponsors which is VERY good for the board. Why?

Lets see...

1.) It cost MONEY to run this board. The more bandwidth that runs through here, the more it costs.

2.) Sponsors and Ads help PAY to run the board. If the board has more sponsors / ad room, the more income the board can make, and the board will improve from it.

If you are going to leave this board because of them trying to improve the site that is pretty sad. There is a LOT of information for free here. Go to a GM dealer and see if they give you the same kind of no BS advice for free.

2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe - 37k - Manual, big brakes, limited slip, etc.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 70k - Paid for, Trifecta tune, DDM Extreme BB/Clamps, Dejon Intake

1998 Civic EX - 5-Speed - 213k - Hey, it is cheap.
post #54 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM

"Change is good Donkey" Shrek

'07 Solstice WOW WII Mysterious, Darkside loaded, no smoker package,(how does one smoke doing 140km with the roof down)

MODS:
Hahn's Stage II Turbo
Solo SQR-2
Solo High Flo Cat
DDM BackBone
DDM ProBeam
Norm's Rear Valance
Wester's Tune
Tinted
NEXT:

'09 G8 GT Liquid Red WOW WEE
post #55 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochargedsol View Post

Remember folks, it could be worse... some people might return...

Is that "good" or "bad" if they're trolls

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler

You can find me at the lake -- RODEOSOLSTICE @ YAHOO.COM

Last edited by RODEO; 01-29-2009 at 08:49 AM.
post #56 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODEO View Post

Is that "good" or "bad" if they're trolls
True... tru dat...

WhazzAAAHHHHhhhh! (oldie but a goodie. Some things never get old, but that one prolly does - tho I did like the superhero re-dubbed version of all the superheroes yelling WhasssAHHHhhhh at each other.... still gets me to chuckle)
post #57 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODEO View Post
Aw, geez! Am I gonna have to swing by your old place and bang on the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

NASSOA Officially Recognized by GM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #58 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 PM
pep

Send a message via AIM to pep
I'm not planning to go anywhere, I enjoy this forum and have made many new friends here, and I also know the AD's pay for the forum.But couldn't the AD's be placed on a vendor page like before, with only limited AD's up top with your best supporting vendors taking the front line.The upgrades to the forum are great but the AD's are very annoying...Sorry!!!!I wouldn't want anybody to put a huge bulletin board in front of my house to stare at 24/7, so why would I want to see all the AD's in front of my computer screen. I guess I just have to shut up... and go with the majority, but I'm glad I voiced my opinion....

2008 MEAN GXP..... Mods... 3" Magnaflow dual exhaust,5 matching yellow engine caps,fuse cover stainless.
post #59 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
pep

Send a message via AIM to pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
People are so funny with being annoyed with these ads. This site now is more friendly for sponsors which is VERY good for the board. Why?

Lets see...

1.) It cost MONEY to run this board. The more bandwidth that runs through here, the more it costs.

2.) Sponsors and Ads help PAY to run the board. If the board has more sponsors / ad room, the more income the board can make, and the board will improve from it.

If you are going to leave this board because of them trying to improve the site that is pretty sad. There is a LOT of information for free here. Go to a GM dealer and see if they give you the same kind of no BS advice for free.
Everything you have said is true and I agree, but if I want to purchase something, I would much rather go to a vendor page and pick or research the vendor, and then buy something, maybe I'm just oldschool.I don't need thier AD flashed in my face, when I'm surfing the forum.

2008 MEAN GXP..... Mods... 3" Magnaflow dual exhaust,5 matching yellow engine caps,fuse cover stainless.
post #60 of 148 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Founding Member

Yeah... um... well, it's different, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
It is not my nature to be pessimistic.

I don't prefer the changes that came with the upgrade.

I'll learn to live with them.

I must, unfortunately, agree with Chemist.

I don't like it... maybe I'll learn to live with it. I kept my mouth shut when more and more ads started showing up. Now they seem to have taken over.

Same issue I had with Discount Tire (no bashing, I promise)... took away a *very* valuable resource and gave the tire section over to someone only interested in selling tires... not helping the community & selling tires.

Without a doubt the culture of the site has changed... it's become an advertising website with Solstice information. It started out the other way, I know.. I was here when it started. It's bound to happen... as the site grows, costs grow... as costs grow ads grow to cover costs. It's a result of the popularity of the site.

I do find the layout and graphics much more unpleasant... the graphics within a post (quote, etc.) are plain ugly. Also, this site actually loads slower... maybe because the graphics were in my cache prior and this is my first visit to the new site.

I also feel like I'm being over run by ads. I thought one of the perks of being a founding member was that of an upgraded member... I feel like a guest in what I used to consider my house (which I enjoyed & shared with my friends).

Oh well... time will tell how much I visit the site... it's different, and just wondering if I'll get used to it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode