Site keeps locking up in IE - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Site keeps locking up in IE

I've been fighting this since the forum was updated. And it's been growing worse as the advertisements have been growing around the boarders of the site. IE has become completely useless to surf the forums anymore. I can't use Chrome because I have programs that are IE specific and I must restart my computer after I use Chrome or those programs crash. So, unless this gets fixed soon, I will be saying CYA to the forums in the near future.....(some of you wouldn't have too much of an issue with that!!)

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 PM

I use Firefox with an Ad-block add-in (uBlock). Works fine for me.

I don't have any issues between FF and IE, and the latter's my default browser (for work reasons).

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:28 PM

I also use Mozilla FireFox with Ad-Block and don't have any of the problems I had with IE. I think IE support is slowly slipping away!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I've been fighting this since the forum was updated. And it's been growing worse as the advertisements have been growing around the boarders of the site. IE has become completely useless to surf the forums anymore. I can't use Chrome because I have programs that are IE specific and I must restart my computer after I use Chrome or those programs crash. So, unless this gets fixed soon, I will be saying CYA to the forums in the near future.....(some of you wouldn't have too much of an issue with that!!)

I also use FireFox and ad blocker with no Issues, wait did I say that out loud?

Bert

$$$The Madness Never Ends$$$
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboborino View Post
I also use FireFox and ad blocker with no Issues, wait did I say that out loud?

Bert
Yes, you did! But your experiece echoes mine, for what it is worth!

1st 1K - #741
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage
I use IE and don't seem to have any problems on these two sites. None on the FJ site either.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If you aren't doing so already, can you try switching your forum layout to the "Classic" skin? The quick way to try this is using the drop menu located at the very bottom left corner of the page. As IE is only getting partial support from Microsoft these days, some aspects of the new layout just aren't very compatible anymore.

I'd also suggest checking to see if Microsoft's new browser, Edge, can support those programs you mentioned. The feel of it is pretty similar to IE 11, and has the benefit of full support from MS.

Kevin
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Garage
Ghost...don't leave! I use Google Chrome most of the time BUT I also use MS Edge. I haven't used MS IE since moving to Windows 10. I can have both browsers open at the same time with no interference. I don't like that MS decides to abandon their products and force users to a new product but I do understand why...so I go along. I haven't had any problems with this forum. All I can suggest is that you check your settings, try to make the conversions and stay with us.
MacInMo likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
I must restart my computer after I use Chrome or those programs crash.
Wait - what?? That makes no sense. They're completely separate processes.

I believe you, I'm just very surprised. And, IE sucks, and has for a long time. Edge is nice, Firefox has recently gone to crap, and I now use Chrome on a regular basis since Firefox has gone down hill.

Could be worse. Try running a Vive and a Rift on the same machine at the same time. Not good.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Wait - what?? That makes no sense. They're completely separate processes.

I believe you, I'm just very surprised. And, IE sucks, and has for a long time. Edge is nice, Firefox has recently gone to crap, and I now use Chrome on a regular basis since Firefox has gone down hill.
While they might be completely separate processes, almost all programs (browsers) use specifics that stay within the RAM and can cause issues for other programs/browsers. We used to call these TSRs (terminate and stay residents) when I was in college, that was 18 years ago. It's a lot more common with programs than what you think it would be. Almost all of the auto OEs we deal with have this issue with one browser or another. Jaguar dealers require IE for their programs to work and if you start or even install Chrome, their programs won't work and then you have to wipe the HD and reinstall their programs. This happened on one of my very first installs for our product. Kia uses IE but their programs aren't quite as volatile as Jags, unless you're using tablets, then you can't use anything but the Android browser. 2 of our programs require flash so we have to use Android or IE as they don't work properly on Chrome. The other program that we have has to use Chrome or the frames are all jacked up.... Soooo believe it or not, browser issues are real!!! And certain browsers will make other programs quit working if you open the browser, close it, then start or open the program or have the program running already. It's my

PS - Edge is the worst!!!! It's horrible. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking!!! None of our programs run on Edge! LOL....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Hey The_Ghost,

Have you tried switching the layout to the Classic skin? At the very bottom left corner of every page, there is a Quick Style Chooser with a drop down menu which gives you options to choose from. As Kevin mentioned, IE is only getting partial support from MS these days so some aspects of the new layout aren't compatible anymore but with the Classic skin, you may have better luck.

Site keeps locking up in IE-solsticeskin.jpg

Sorry to hear Edge doesn't work out for you -- maybe soon it'll be made compatible, here's hoping! *fingers crossed*

Let us know how the classic skin works out for you
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I did go back to the classic and it's much more stable. Thanks. It's funny because Microsoft Dynamics only runs in IE and you would think Microsoft would support a product that supports another of their products. We've all been having issues with Dynamics for the last 2 weeks as well....so I'm thinking IE was updated or they did something to it.
Administrator likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Administrator

it could be that Microsoft Dynamics was updated and IE is failing to support the application. Anyhow, I'm not sure how long IE will continue to supported and updated but they are trying to push Edge by installing them all on new PCs.

Lee
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
but they are trying to push Edge by installing them all on new PCs.

Lee

And that was the first program on my 2 new computers at home that I deleted!!! And then I installed IE and Chrome. I use a website called ninite.com for all of my tools software.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:50 AM

IE = Internet Exploder

I worked for startup launching an automotive industry web application, guess which browser gave us the most compatibility issues?

Microsoft use to say publicly that IE was the most popular internet browser [based on the amount installed on peoples computers]...the only reason for this is because IE comes standard with the OS Windows, and you can't uninstall IE; so that is pretty shady marketing when customers can't uninstall it and the statistics dont reflect actual usage. FF and Chrome have surpassed IE lately.

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode