Suggestions on Reorganizing Solsticeforum? Comments? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Suggestions on Reorganizing Solsticeforum? Comments?

Here's my first attempt at something that might make sense for the Solsticeforum. Just struggling with what to do about the Solstice/Sky/ upcoming other Kappa stuff (is there going to be a EuropeanKappa.com? What about maybeNomad.com?).

This is going to be a boatload of work for Troy, and I know it looks complicated. However, I think in the end it will help, and the work we do here I'd imagine would translate to skyroadster.com as well.

Comments? Suggestions? I'm all ears. Obviously, I'm sure Troy won't be doing anything until we're all sure it will improve the place here.

Anyways:

SOLSTICE FAQ, SPECIFICATIONS, PERFORMANCE DATA
THE place to go for all your specification, options, equipment, pricing needs. In here, there are no discussions, only moderators and administrators can edit the threads, but your one stop shopping to browse known information that is accurate and up-to-date. If you are a newbie and have a question - CHECK HERE FIRST. It's likely someone's already asked it and your answers may be at your fingertips without waiting for a posted answer.

SOLSTICE DISCUSSION
General Solstice Discussion
For discussing general Solstice-related topics, non-technical related
Technical-General Solstice Discussion
General technical discussion that does not fit in one of the following categories, or general aspects of the Solstice (like size, weight, touchy-feelies, or other aspects of your Solstice
Technical-Engine/Trans/Exhaust/Acceleration
Technical discussion on areas related to powertrain performance or technical aspects
Technical-Steering/Suspension/Chassis/Tires/Brakes/Handling & Braking
Discussion and information related to how your Solstice handles, steers, rides, or brakes.
Technical-Accessories & Options
Discussion of factory-equipped optional equipment technical aspects, accessories, OnStar, gloveboxes, cupholders, etc.
Technical-Aftermarket
Anything and everything related to what's available and what might be available for your Solstice on the aftermarket scene. Engine upgrades? That small-block? Car Covers? You'll find 'em here
Technical-Electrical
Discussion on the finer points of your Solstice's electrical systems
Technical-Interior Technical/Seats/Trim/Fabrics/Carpet/etc.
Discussion related to the interior side of things
Technical-Exterior Technical/Top/Windows/Closures/Trunk
Exterior item discussion, like the top, windows, paint, body panels, hood/decklid/doors, etc.
Technical-Future Technical Discussion
Discussion of the finer points of technical merit on upcoming technology, technological speculation, improvements, or features that will or might be found on your Solstice in the future
Technical HELP!!!
Need help with your Solstice? Backyard mechanic that's in over your head? Or just wondering how to fix something that broke? Check here for some free advice - you're sure to get it, but no guarantees it will always be correct
SOLSTICE/SKY/KAPPA RUMORS, GOSSIP, SCUTTLEBUTT, AND HEARSAY
the place to discuss rumors, upcoming info leaks, spy photos, unconfirmed tidbits, and be a general "net-detective"

SKY DISCUSSION
In general, Sky-related discussion will be routed to www.skyroadster.com. Some convenient FAQ's will remain in this forum

ROADSTER/SMALL RWD MARKET GENERAL DISCUSSION
Discussion related specifically about owning, loving, lusting, or coveting roadsters and other small RWD'rs that is not specifically Kappa/Solstice/Sky related. Also discussion on competitive vehicles can be found here, as well as "cool drives" and other asundry discussion related to the ownership experience.

...In The News
Latest news and articles by category are found in here
Solstice
Sky
Kappa Platform
Roadster/Small RWD Market Competition
General Automotive Industry
Off Topic
Anything and everything under the sun that is unrelated to Kappa, Solstice, Sky or the categories described above

Site Help and/or Discussion

Test Forum
Here you can test out how to post pics, whether smilies work, what your new avatar or signature looks like, figure out how to format your posts, or create polls... just refrain from offensive language, please
Site-Related Forum
Site-related announcements, FAQ's on the site, tips about posting etiquette, and other help is found here. Have a suggestion to make this place better? Post it here. Want to introduce yourself? Here is a great place. This is a great place to look if you are new to Solsticeforum.
The Compost Pile...
Duplicate threads, closed threads, the umpteenth thread asking a question that is answered in the FAQ's or Specs sheet... they will end up here. If you posted a question, or a common thread subject and are wondering where it went... look here. Like all good compost piles, the threads will "compost" here - sometimes, if they start a good discussion they'll be moved out to the appropriate Forum and more fertile ground, but if not, they'll get tilled under (DELETED) to streamline the Forum and keep this place tidy.

Last edited by solsticeman; 01-26-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:20 PM

First glance I like it but people would have to be very careful to post to the correct forum. Some times the more choices you give the more chance it ends up in wrong place (and more work for mods to move threads). Seems like a very large breakdown of technical? Is all that stuff really tech? I like the news breakdown.

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Garage
I think Solsticemans layout looks good. It's very forward thinking. The Elise forums I frequent were setup in a similar way prior to teh car coming out in production in USA. By the time the car had everyone had gotten very used to the more complex layout/format so that when the deluge of new information started arrive when the cars did it was much easier to find. Because otherwise when this car comes out for real, having one technical section will become swamped with thousands of posts about say spark plugs making it impossible to find control arm questions.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Founding Member

I like this setup, it doesn't seem all so daunting. The detail of the different sections ensures that if you're looking for a particular thread in an area it'll be easier to find. And maybe, possibly, hopefully encourage those (myself included) to stay on track where a particular subject is concerned. :thumbs
Um, by 'this setup', I should've been perhaps more clear in my statement. I meant the proposal by Solsticeman. I like it a lot.

Last edited by Michael; 01-19-2005 at 02:48 PM.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Looking good! :cheers

We should consider the beginners/newbie section we discussed earlier also.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Founding Member

I like it, it makes posting and finding things more easy, since the subject is clearly spelled out for you.:cheers
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Roberts
Looking good! :cheers

We should consider the beginners/newbie section we discussed earlier also.

I guess I had envisioned beginners might be directed to both "site help" and the first section "Solstice FAQ"

Perhaps a bit more description... I know the first time I checked in, I looked at the subsection descriptions.

Take a look at my description edits...

Last edited by solsticeman; 01-19-2005 at 03:19 PM.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Founding Member

Looks pretty good to me... so long as we police ourselves to post in the right sub-forums and to stay on-topic within the threads.

I'm as guilty as the rest of the regulars that have been around for awhile as to going off-topic. But with the way this forum is growing, and the number of new posts that are piling up every day, we really need to start paying attention to this. Maybe we should start new threads when we start getting too far off. I've already found myself wondering what thread I just posted in, and where discussion X was. Usually the best threads wind up being about something entirely tangent to the original post.

One other suggestion for a little later on. Once we all transition from solstice owner wannabes to actual owners, maybe we should have a sub-forum dedicated to common problems. Every time someone experiences a SNAFU of some sort, POST IT. That way, we can track trends. I like to know when I go to the dealer with a lazy power window, for example, that I should expect there to be a TSB in the system for it already if we've discussed it at legnth and determined that a certain percentage of us are experiencing the same issues. That way, when they tell me "we've never heard of that problem," I know they're full of it.

The way I see it, this tracking would most easily be done in its own forum... so long as it's not just loaded with random troll posts about how small the trunk is, etc.

Last edited by 2KWK4U; 01-19-2005 at 03:24 PM.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
...One other suggestion for a little later on. Once we all transition from solstice owner wannabes to actual owners, maybe we should have a sub-forum dedicated to common problems. Every time someone experiences a SNAFU of some sort, POST IT. That way, we can track trends. I like to know when I go to the dealer with a lazy power window, for example, that I should expect there to be a TSB in the system for it already if we've discussed it at legnth and determined that a certain percentage of us are experiencing the same issues. That way, when they tell me "we've never heard of that problem," I know they're full of it....
I thought of adding it, but then again discussion on each of the tech sub-forums should cover the technical aspects.

A single thread in the SOLSTICE FAQ, SPECS... etc. sub-forum could deal specifically with "common known issues" with the Solstice, a link to the thread discussion and a simple 50 word description. Since the first sub-forum consists mainly of "closed" threads, that is the one place that won't get really mucked up.

Just a thought...
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticeman
I thought of adding it, but then again discussion on each of the tech sub-forums should cover the technical aspects.

A single thread in the SOLSTICE FAQ, SPECS... etc. sub-forum could deal specifically with "common known issues" with the Solstice, a link to the thread discussion and a simple 50 word description. Since the first sub-forum consists mainly of "closed" threads, that is the one place that won't get really mucked up.

Just a thought...
That ought to do just as well. Especially if the moderators are all as vigilant as our current mod, and update the locked threads. We just need to consolidate all the info into a "one source" location for the eventual archive.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Don't forget, we'll likely reach stasis on the information - and the FAQ section won't be changing dramatically over time...
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:37 PM

Would be easier to find stuff that's for sure :thumbs

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Founding Member

Can we attach a chat room to this forum? (Here I go... taking the thread off-topic)
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
Can we attach a chat room to this forum? (Here I go... taking the thread off-topic)
Not at this time. I prefer the information to be in a form where everyone can participate at their own time. You also have a good record for future reference in a forum format.

We might do some special occasion/topic chats on occasion.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Roberts
Not at this time. I prefer the information to be in a form where everyone can participate at their own time. You also have a good record for future reference in a forum format.

We might do some special occasion/topic chats on occasion.

Special occasion chats would be cool... like if we could get Maximum Bob himself to block out an hour of time for a guided discussion (as if he's not a moderator on this forum already!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode