Suggestions on Reorganizing Solsticeforum? Comments? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
One other suggestion for a little later on. Once we all transition from solstice owner wannabes to actual owners, maybe we should have a sub-forum dedicated to common problems. Every time someone experiences a SNAFU of some sort, POST IT. That way, we can track trends. I like to know when I go to the dealer with a lazy power window, for example, that I should expect there to be a TSB in the system for it already if we've discussed it at legnth and determined that a certain percentage of us are experiencing the same issues. That way, when they tell me "we've never heard of that problem," I know they're full of it.

The way I see it, this tracking would most easily be done in its own forum... so long as it's not just loaded with random troll posts about how small the trunk is, etc.
:agree I think a faults and fixes sub-forum is a good idea. There is something else I would ask you all to think about. All the car forums I've ever been involved with seemed to suffer from people posting comments that imply that they are owners, yet after a few posts it became clear they were not. They turned out in each case to be trolls just dishing out BS. At one point the S2K site talked about registration using some part of an owners VIN to prove ownership. As far as I know this idea did did not find favor with members as they feared their comments on Mods, Kills and the like would impact a warranty claim judgement by "Big Brother". I for one would like to know that if someone claimed a problem it was real and not misinformation. As a side note I would like to think that we here can be objective about our cars and call things as we see them. By this I mean that we get so fiercely protective of these cars that we foster an attitude of "perfection" when it's not the case. In my view many car sites suffer this problem, I just hope it won't happen here. Just my 02. Thoughts?

Last edited by Chip; 01-20-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Founding Member

I tend to believe that camaraderie can be very infectious. I think there might be some cause for concern for those that are trolls, but I do believe also that they'll weed themselves out easily enough. Everyone here has been decidely helpful to one another, if a certain person proves themselves to be taking advantage of that generosity I think they'll find quickly that assistance will be lacking at a point when they might need it most or at all. I'm thinking that either Troy or Solsticeman would see to it that those sorts of people were taken care quickly.
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

I tidied up a bit more of the language - and reworded some parts of the site-related areas.

Figured the Site Forum was a great place not only for newbies, but a place to intro yourself if you're new and want to post such a thread.

For now, I'm moving "introductions" and "I'm new to this site" to the "Off Topics" area.

In general, I get the feeling that folks like this structure and it may be a good one - I know I'm prolly signing up for a bunch of work (sorting all the historical threads and moving them) but it will be worth it in the end.

Any other concerns or suggestions? Any massaging? Anything that might be worded better? Do almost any subject discussions have a "place" or are we missing? Is the "newbie" issues covered, or do we need a specific place?

Have the questions brought up so far been addressed in this thread?

What's your feeling, Troy?
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticeman
...I know I'm prolly signing up for a bunch of work (sorting all the historical threads and moving them) but it will be worth it in the end.
Could always put all the older stuff in an archive section. Would save you the trouble of going back through all the really old posts.

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Founding Member

It all looks good, but it's starting to look like we're going to need a Fiero section! :crazy :lol

Thanks again Bob, for building my car! Envious/Ebony VIN #0051
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What's your feeling, Troy?
My feeling is that I picked the right person for our first moderator! :cheers

I'll look it over a bit more. Overall I think it looks great. I might want to make a minor tweak or two but give me a bit to think on it.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:53 PM

I see all the Sky stuff in the new proposed outline...what's the latest on breaking Sky out into it's own forum or is it staying here? Just curious.

-2006 VIN #30, First 1000 Series

Pontiac RIP 1926-2009
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

It's going to it's own forum. We may have some shared info/sections though.
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Founding Member

Forum comment

Is there anyway you can mark a thread as being read so it doesn't come up the next time you search for New Posts?
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth
Is there anyway you can mark a thread as being read so it doesn't come up the next time you search for New Posts?
When you've looked at all the threads you are going to look at from "new posts", to go "Quick Links", "mark forums read". That will set your new posts to that moment forward.
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Added a section called "The Compost Pile...".

Have a look and let me know what y'all think.

"Every act of creation is at first an act of destruction"
-Pablo Picasso
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Added a section called "The Compost Pile...".

Have a look and let me know what y'all think.

"Every act of creation is at first an act of destruction"
-Pablo Picasso
Looks good, it'll help stop repeat posts from turning into massive off topic/tangent posts like they do a lot now because they wont be around for people to read all day and start posting in.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hmm, I typed out a response earlier and its not here. :crazy I must have done something wrong! :eek

Anyway, What I had said was that I thought overall the categories were looking good. I like the Compost Pile forum. My suggestion, however, would be to maybe combine a couple of the suggested forums to try and avoid some overlap, and make it easier to decide where to post.

I would consider combining all the news forums into one. Posts would still be easily searched using the car's name as a search topic (Solsitce, Sky, etc) and I cannot imagine there being so many news articles that it would become too cumbersome to handle it all under one forum.

I would also maybe make some alterations to tech. First I would add a dedicated Audio tech forum for both stock and aftermarket systems. There is bound to be a lot of audio specific related questions. I might think about dropping accessories and options from tech to accomodate an audio forum too, as those items could be discussed in the other tech sections. Power options in electrical, covers in exterior, etc. I might also think about doing in with the aftermarket section, since a lot of that discussion is likely to be linked to modifications, which could also be posted under the specific sections, engine, suspension, etc. Thats also partly based on having a help forum. With a seperate help section for do it yourselfers on normal repair and maintenance items, I would think the engine tech, suspension tech, etc would be more intended for modifications and upgrade information.

My final change might be to remove the rumors forum. Solstice/Kappa rumors and speculation will subside some when we get final specs, and it could go to Solstice general, Sky general on the sky forum, etc.

One other suggestion... possibly add a competition/autoX forum for legal racing only (no kill stories or such). Just a place where people who autoX their Sol's can discuss their sport.

I apologize because I feel like this sounds too critical, and I don't intend it to be. I think it looks great so far! Keep up the good work!! :thumbs

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fformula88
...I apologize because I feel like this sounds too critical, and I don't intend it to be. I think it looks great so far! Keep up the good work!! :thumbs
No need to apologize. Good suggestions. I was trying different combos in my head to see if I could do something like your suggestions. With your input, maybe I can re-org it a bit clearer.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
No need to apologize. Good suggestions. I was trying different combos in my head to see if I could do something like your suggestions. With your input, maybe I can re-org it a bit clearer.
Cool. After thinking about it, I certainly understand that there is some difficulty in breaking this thing down to suit our needs. Were not entirely sure yet what will really interest people, and how they will go about posting everything once the car is out.

In a way, this is like GM designing the Solstice. Try to come up with what they feel people will really like and be able to use as efficiently as possible with the least amount of confusion, while keeping it fun, entertaining, and in the case of the car looking like the original. Not an easy task by any means.

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode