2007 GXP Fan Running after turning off engine - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By skersfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

2007 GXP Fan Running after turning off engine

Hi! I just bought a 2007 with 39,000 on it. I noticed that at times when I shut off the car that a fan is still running.
Should I be alarmed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 AM

Im a word, no.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
You should not be worried about the fan running, it is supposed to if the engine is shut off running warmer than usual. I believe the temp is 220 where the fan runs full speed, and if you shut it off with the temp near 214 and up, it will run to cool the car down. Try to stay out of the Turbo the last few miles before shut down will help also.

Be sure the coolant is fresh, most likely has been changed, but if you don't know, it would be wise to flush and put new antifreeze in. If the color of the anti freeze is pink, I would suggest you just put new Delco fluid in. Mixing anti freeze can cause real problems. Most seem to change it to the green stuff. My mechanic will not use the Delco stuff for any reason, but GM has for years.

If your car is a Redline/GXP you are at the magical mileage for the water pump to fail. Check under the car on the passenger side, right at the back of the front tire. If you have water dripping from there, you are on your way to an exciting new water pump. Some never fail, but watch that area for as long as you have the car. They can cause real problems if they go. Not a cheap fix either way.

Most likely though, it is just the cooling system trying to cool the car down.
sirwm likes this.

Last edited by skersfan; 04-25-2019 at 12:02 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:22 PM

... happens to me once or twice a year on really hot days...

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM

I've only had it happen once. I was using AC that day. If it is running, chances are, as stated earlier, it's WP time or thermostat change. Your at the mileage and age for both....WP will run you about $1500 at the dealer, and thermo about $600 IMSMC. Neither can be done by a backyard mechanic that's only changed oil their entire life.... My thermo took me about 12 hours total.... And that's because I couldn't get the [email protected]&* hose clamp out of the way....and then 3 hours of refilling the coolant because mine was bit more stubborn then most. There are special fill instructions for coolant....so if you try to do it yourself. The turbo cars get an air bubble in the system that's a bear to get out....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 PM

my sol cooling fan will run sometimes with the engine off in hot weather. My two nissans do the same thing. It is a normal function for most cars now. as already mentioned, check coolant level, look for coolant leaks, look for unusually high spikes in temps. If they are OK, not to worry.

Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: