Complete and Total Newbie - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Complete and Total Newbie

I have had a moment and purchased a used 2008 GXP- 5 speed! Black on Black in Alabama for the summer!

I need any and all advice! Specifically how to get started/where to start! Starting to find little issues, like door locks don't work- at times, the stereo acts like a CD is trapped, fog lights won't come on, seat height doesn't work.

Never thought I'd be a "car" girl but want to learn how to do most of the work myself and have a baby to be proud of!

I bought the manuals, something my Dad told me to always do- so he could work on my cars! Never imagined I would be attempting to do this for myself.

Is there a book or YouTube series on how to start troubleshooting these little bugs? Or who knows they might be huge issues! I don't know!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:18 PM

For electrical gremlins one of the things you should do is to open the covers of both fuse blocks: the one under the hood and the one on the Body Control Module (BCM) that is under the passenger side carpet.
First check for blown fuses, of course, but then push on every fuse and every relay. They have been know to vibrate loose.

There is a thread on the forum that details everything to check on and a lot of dos and donts. RobtheElder will probably post a link to it.

And, welcome to the forum and the family.
Sting Ya and easyryderca like this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum - and welcome to Alabama!

Just An Ordinary Average Guy

With A Super Cool Car!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Way back in the day we'd say "Welcome to Permagrin" to a new Sol owner.

Your Dad is a wise man!

First tip:

Many of these cars were given unnecessary cosmetic damage by techs- even trained GM techs- by improper lifting. These cars are supposed to be lifted somewhat similar to a Corvette. Many times a tech thought he knew what he was doing, didn't pay attention, and crushed the bottom of the fenders with the lift. My first Sol GXP even had some slight damage right behind the driver's door at the rocker panel by a dope that lifted it wrong. back then it was merely a fight with the dealership to get it corrected. Today...well we try to avoid any and all body damage, let me put it that way. Improper lifting can sometimes be spotted by looking at the side of the car at the fender bottoms, which might display slight 'Fender Frown' instead of being flat across the bottom. For lucky owners the damage is not noticeable. My present Solstice GXP has extremely light fender damage from improper lifting but no 'frown'.

Lifting:
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-points-19139/
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-garage-86825/

Related- if the car needs to be towed....stop. It is supposed to never be towed. Flatbed only, per General Motors.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 05-30-2019 at 01:57 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:07 PM

well...

The best thing you did just join this forum.
This is THE place to find answers to your concerns.
One of the best things about this forum is that all the history back to 2005 exists and is searchable!

Google is your friend; search like this:
'your problem' site:solsticeforum.com
and google will just search this site for the answers.

You need to divide and conquer so that you do not get overwhelmed.

Make a list, and tackle one by one.

Review this thread too in case you missed something -> https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...4/#post2083690

Do the obvious:
change oil
change coolant
change brake fluid
change diff fluid
inspect tires and buy new if required
check the date on your battery, and replace if greater than 5 years ( lots of varying opinions on this item ) because a bad/weak battery can cause all sorts of false problems

THEN start working on your list.

Somewhere in the list is wash & wax the car ( or 'detail' as desired )

have fun !

and post pictures - we love pictures!
Sting Ya and easyryderca like this.

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it

Last edited by sirwm; 05-30-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:12 PM

Welcome Turtle. As the others have said, you'll find probably everything you need right here on this forum. Don't hesitate to post questions in older threads, especially if you're not finding what you need in them. Some members will squawk about opening an old thread but personally I prefer to have all the knowledge and questions in a single thread.

Have fun - you'll meet a lot of great people here!

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
welcome to the fun.enjoy this great forum.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Yes, a good cleaning is in order ASAP! However, I had no idea at the number of detailing sites, videos, and products! Anyone have a shameless plug for products? I have NEVER detailed a car, but not afraid if hard work it a challenge! Getting clean is probably the only area I'm not scared to do!

I had no idea about the lift problem, but explains the crease on the front quarter panels!

I do contract work and my home base is Knoxville, TN now in Alabama, Decatur area for work and family!

I do have access to my Dad's shop and tools! So have somewhere to learn and work! He would NEVER believed I would be doing this, oh well old dogs can do and learn new tricks!

Looking forward to reading and picking brains!

I didn't see an explanation about the various membership levels- can someone point me to information?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:41 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewoman68 View Post

I didn't see an explanation about the various membership levels- can someone point me to information?
Click on "Get Premium" (Right side of the header on the white line under the black line under the header picture)

Everything is pretty self explanatory on the premium membership page.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

1st 1K - #741
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:29 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
do the locks not work or just takes their sweet time to unlock?mine take a good few seconds to unlock, unlike every other car Ive had with remotes that are instantly when told to do so.( this is my first GM car since I sold my 77, 4 door 454 dualie) so i dont know if it's normal for gm stuff or if mine is just slow in every aspect.....(yes I should of got a gxp, but I like this interior a lot more, steel/ sand, sliver car....) funny, the trunk is quick...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewoman68 View Post
Thanks everyone!

Yes, a good cleaning is in order ASAP! However, I had no idea at the number of detailing sites, videos, and products! Anyone have a shameless plug for products? I have NEVER detailed a car, but not afraid if hard work it a challenge! Getting clean is probably the only area I'm not scared to do!

I had no idea about the lift problem, but explains the crease on the front quarter panels!

I do contract work and my home base is Knoxville, TN now in Alabama, Decatur area for work and family!

I do have access to my Dad's shop and tools! So have somewhere to learn and work! He would NEVER believed I would be doing this, oh well old dogs can do and learn new tricks!

Looking forward to reading and picking brains!

Everything you need to know on detailing properly can be found at ammonyc.com - look at the videos, excellent videography and Larry is a wealth of knowledge for this stuff!
Turtlewoman68 likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
do the locks not work or just takes their sweet time to unlock?mine take a good few seconds to unlock, unlike every other car Ive had
Mine lock/unlock instantly.

Do yours only have a delay with the remotes? Or does it delay with the inside door switches also. If only the former, your remote buttons could be in need of cleaning - or a new rubber membrane. Shells and membranes are available on ebay for a coupla bucks (literally)

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
what door switches?... ....they must be indivisible ,Ill put on some glasses when I go out and have a through inspection.
chickenwire likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
what door switches?... ....they must be indivisible ,Ill put on some glasses when I go out and have a through inspection.
Interior door lock buttons were added in 2007, if my memory serves correctly.

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM

My 07 GXP had them for sure

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: