• 1 Post By 08SOLGXP
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 2 Post By TomatoSoup
  • 1 Post By SSolstice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
East Coast US Sol GXP ~ only 28K on her

Had some minor issues when I first got her (2011) Previous owner was a rent-a-car company. No one rented it cuz it don't hold much. Then a dealership bought her to sell her. Fixed her lower front grille (messed up from previous drivers running her up on curbs ~ GGGGRRRRRRR) While fixing the small lower front grille near the road / noticed that it was pretty scraped up from curb running. Had that front replaced and painted. Had GM put the GMPP upgrade to her. Went thru some MAP /MAF issues and got them repaired. The GMPP chips were not installed correctly (yeah ... crimped ... BLEAH ~~~~~) Learned about them the hard way (GM would not honor their work) but finally got some help. The Pontiac dealer here is gone but the same "certified" <------ LOL ~ teams are managing the new ownership for the past few years .... I've had several run-ins and GM is .... well, I have nothing good to say about them ~ they are, however, quite professional at LIP SERVICE.

Am looking for help with a new ? problem ~ albeit not much of a problem: The amber / yellow (pic one that makes you happy) dash light assembly occasionally gives me the lit up BATTERY ICON. Couple seconds then disappears. Researched a little but am thinking ... (car is now 11 years old with very few miles for that old) Battery COULD be a little "worn" ~ didn't know this until recently: If you leave the headlight switch ON (running lights only position) and kill the ignition switch, that light switch position remains "hot". I drained a virtually 1 year-old battery to absolutely NOTHING. I usually check after shutting her off, to make sure all lights extinguish within a few seconds. I guess I did not on that one instance and the battery was DEAD / DEAD.

Put my jumper box on her and she started right up. Ran for a few seconds ... then removed the jumper. Still ran fine. Let her run/idle until her RPM's reduced to low/idle RPM's then shut her down 'Bout 4 hours later had a run to Wally World. She fired right over and all is well. No jumpers needed since then.

AFTER that however, I began to notice just every once in a while ... that Battery Light on the Dash would flash for couple seconds and then go away.

After research and thought ... this is my conclusion: Battery MAY have been affected (sealed battery ~ GM OEM battery): maybe the alternator? ... dunno: OR lastly: the serpentine belt?

When it flashes for those few seconds ... NOTHING happens in the car. No loss of anything.

anyone got any info for me? Greatly appreciated if you do. Don't like dash lights of any kind. Thanks for your help in advance

the pictures are of the day I picked her up in Cleveland Ohio. I live further south on the east coast The 3rd pic of her sitting on her carpet is my garage and taken a week ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2703849689.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	98079   Click image for larger version

Name:	2703849911.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	98081   Click image for larger version

Name:	WICCAN ATC 1 - 20.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	98083  
bingmobo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Is the battery 1 year old or 11? You appear to say both, but I am guessing 11. Batteries age more by time than miles, so the mileage doesn't mean much.
If you have an original battery it is way past its life expectancy. It may still be OK, but probably not, and flaky batteries make these cars do really strange things.
Running a battery all the way dead is not good for it. Jumping and then using the car to charge that battery is not good for the generator.

If it was my car i would replace the battery, and test the charging circuit.

As an aside, I have never owned a car that didn't have a live headlight switch, so i don't think ours is unique.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Are you *sure* it's the battery icon? The coolant light kinda looks like a battery, but is amber. The actual battery light is red.

The light coming on then off more seems to me to be the operation of the coolant warning (either too hot or low coolant splashing).

JohnWR and ChopTop like this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 AM

I think Soup is barking up the right tree, especially if that light comes on during hard cornering, braking or acceleration.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Welcome 08SOLGXP
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 PM

It's probably the coolant light (yellow light) lol
Northern Sol likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 PM

For starters, your battery is shot if it's 11 years old. Replace it. Mileage means nothing on a battery. I've seen dead batteries at 12 miles on the odometer and the car was a month old. These cars get all sorts of electrical gremlins and funny dash lights when the battery is low. Do this and see if it fixes the issue....I can almost gaurantee it will fix it.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank You all for your input. I tried to write this a few days ago and couldn't type in this window.

Wiccan (my Sol) is now on it's 3rd battery. The original battery lasted 8 years. Can't complain about it at all. And when it died? ... TOTALLY DEAD. One day it worked, next day ... nothing. Replaced that with a new OEM GM battery. That lasted 2 years and died. Just as the first one. It was the cheapest battery I could get at the time by a couple bucks so I took it! When it died, it was still under warranty. I still had the receipt. I did the two-step dance routine with the dealer but won in the end. Got another battery for "free". That is the battery that is in it now ... and has been in service 1.5 years. So far, so good.

A huge thank you to Soup for expertise in actually distinguishing what dash light was actually lit & his diagram of that. I looked mine up in my owners manual which is slightly different than what Soup posted, but nonetheless, Soup was correct. I have my foot in Wiccan when I drive her, and when that small icon appears briefly, I have a flash of a chance to actually see what it is. Having said all that, I did add coolant to the reservoir and so far, no more amber light appearances. I had checked my fluids the week before all this started and didn't think mine was low. Guess I may have been wrong. I will find out over the course of the next few weeks.

Anyway, all is well and I thank you all for your very educated input.

~ Dan ~ (and Wiccan thanks you as well ... LOL)

Last edited by 08SOLGXP; 07-11-2019 at 05:36 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You were absolutely correct Chick ~ the only way to get anything done on most cars is get to the people that OWN them. Always best advice ! Thank you for your comment about the coolant as well
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM

I agree with the above members on the battery replacement it's way overdue. Secondly I would replace the coolant (it requires Dexcool ) as GM recommends every 5 years and I would replace the thermostat while I was at it .This is a common problem (bad thermostat ) and usually goes without warning .There is a thread on the forum on drilling a 1/16 hole in the housing which helps also , if you go this route get a quality replacement thermostat it's worth it in the long run . Just my opinion but unless I lived in a dry climate (out west) I would never leave my car parked on carpet it's a moisture magnet both my cars are parked on horse stall mats ,heavy rubber, even bare concrete bleeds moisture especially in the winter months .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: