Looking to purchase a Pontiac Solstice and unsure of what model to purchase. - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Color, upholstery, and transmission are clearly personal choices so no one can really help you with those.

No, you cannot manually shift the automatic although the "I" setting is supposed to be very effective in spirited driving.

You have driven both so you are well aware of the power difference between the NA and GXP. This again is a preference that only you can speak to. I have one of each and enjoy them equally.

The NA is going to be more reliable. It has fewer bits to break, and the technology is better proven. The GXP/RL were the first GM direct-injection engine applications and there are some weaknesses. That said it is still quite reliable, but not as good as the NA.

The NA uses less expensive fuel, but under some conditions the GXP will get better mileage. When gas prices were $0.20 different between grades the GXP was actually less expensive to operate sometimes, but it has gotten to be $0.40-0.60 around here so that has washed out for the most part. It costs me more to operate my RL because I tend to use the greater power when it is available such that they both average the same fuel mileage.

The fact that you are choosing between such different vehicles suggests to me that the NA is the better choice for you. Lower miles, lower cost, more reliable, and lower operating costs.

If your next question turns out to be how to get more power out of the NA, scratch that and go with the GXP.
should chisel that last sentence in stone!

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:07 PM

No brainer I think coupe or 2007 GXP after 2006 they added turbo and gave GXP 290 hp. 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds. Buy far funest to drive. Has 3 different modes. But there is tons to say wish I had a coupe but LOVE MY 07 GXP
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlarue View Post
get the manual
I believe the automatic transmission is better but just my opinion. And going off a few things I heard. I could not shift my car better then the car can. 😆
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Two-time Solstice owner here...

There’s a great, twisty, exhilarating run from Salem to the coast I’ve driven many times in almost a dozen different vehicles over the last dozen years...it’s a course I could run blindfolded.

I’d say it’s nearly a tie between the Solstice GXP manual w GMPP upgrade and Pilot SuperSport tires...and the far-more-powerful Dual Motor AWD Tesla 3 with Sport4S tires. Both are 50-50 weight distributed, designed by the same genius, and exceptional vehicles. The Sol gets a bonus for the top-down thrills with mind-numbing passing acceleration.

If you’re shopping for a daily commuter car, a 2.4 will get the job done...and I’m a sucker for green on a Sol or Vette. If you want the most smiles-per-gallon, get the GXP manual and never look back...trust me, you won’t want to see the folks you blasted past up-hill without flinching.l anyway 😉
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent1313 View Post
No brainer I think coupe or 2007 GXP after 2006 they added turbo and gave GXP 290 hp. 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds. Buy far funest to drive. Has 3 different modes. But there is tons to say wish I had a coupe but LOVE MY 07 GXP
No...the GXP had 260hp from the factory and there's still quite a few cars out there that haven't been tuned to the 290hp...There was an available dealer installed upgrade (Stage I) to net you 290hp. Which when they were the only ones doing it cost you $1k or there about. Now that the vehicles are out of warranty, you can get a tune from anywhere that will net you at least 290hp, but a few require the change of the MAP sensors. What are these 3 different modes you speak of?

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: