Solschr - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Solschr

Hi I'm SOLSCHR, that is my California Plate Number since 2006 when I bought my first Solstice. I bought my present ride, the 2007 GXP version right off the car carrier that I followed into the dealer. I was on the freeway, I saw the car and new I had to have it. I have been a lifetime member since 2006, but I have never had much success in using the forum. I have tried several times over the years, but haven't been able to navigate through the site with any success. My car is getting old and I need some help with problems that I haven't been able to figure out by myself. So, I guess I need someone to help me get started here. I'm reasonably intelligent, but have struggled with this sight since the beginning. I prolly need a teenager to help me get started. But I could use some help with information and my car needs help, too. I don't know where to start, even how to start a thread ?

My immediate problem is I hit an unseen curb in a parking lot at about 2 miles an hour and crushed the front of my Turbo Intercooler. I checked for leaks when I did it, it wasn't leaking, so I drove it home. The next time I drove it my check engine light came on. I drove about 60 miles roundtrip to my appointment in LA and back home and had it checked with the computer at the local parts dealer. It came back as Code P2178 (System Too Rich Off Idle Bank 1). Of course I figured the real problem is the intercooler was cracked and leaking somewhere. I still have boost, but only about 10 pounds. I called the dealer and there are no Intercoolers available. The part is discontinued. I checked four auto parts suppliers, including NAPA, and nobody had a bolt on replacement. I know there are aftermarket manufacturers, but the research I have done so far seems to say that they are not direct bolt-on's. They need some body parts trimmed, etc. And I don't know if I will need new plumbing or not. I was a real motorhead most of my life. But I'm 70 years old now. I had my 5th back surgery about a month ago, and just had an Ablation on my heart that doesn't seem to have helped much. I can't do too much work on the car myself anymore. I live just outside LA, so there must be someone that can refer me to a Solstice mechanic that is top notch and knows the cars. Someone can probably tell me exactly where to go on this site to get the info and help I need. I would still like to think I can do the job myself. But, I may be over my head on this one. Thank you all in advance for the guidance. My number is 661-733-5194. I'm in Westlake Village, CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Founding Member

Hopefully someone here in the forum has one for sale. I believe the one from either Werks or DDM will fit without having to do any cutting to the foam in the bumper.
By the way welcome to the forum.
easyryderca likes this.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the quick feedback, LatinVenom.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
I just installed a PAW intercooler last weekend. Just as Mike's Garage had to do for his RPM intercooler, I also had to lengthen the 2 support braces that go from the large horizontal metal bumper (that sits behind the actual plastic bumper) down to the bottom of the air dam. Go figure, my luck had it that I broke one of the metal braces and had to fabricate a new one with metal purchased from Home Depot.

Aside from dealing with the 2 metal support braces, the intercooler was a direct bolt in.
syjos likes this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage
Not sure where Westlake Village is. Near LA or SF area?

I think I still have one in the storage area. Will take a look tomorrow if you are willing to pick up. I am near Palm Springs.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Not sure where Westlake Village is. Near LA or SF area?

I think I still have one in the storage area. Will take a look tomorrow if you are willing to pick up. I am near Palm Springs.
Westlake Village is 145 miles west of Palm Springs.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 08-04-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Westlake Village is 145 miles east of Palm Springs.
"I" would drive it in a heartbeat if the price is right...

Bill
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Garage
I am pretty sure it must be west of Palm Springs. East would put you in Arizona. lol

I did not stop at the shop today. Did my bike ride and came home. Too damned hot to be digging around in the storage facility Will chick tomorrow.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I am pretty sure it must be west of Palm Springs. East would put you in Arizona. lol...
Very true, I corrected it.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:41 PM

I'm also looking for a mechanic Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, or even anywhere in Ventura County area. I would even consider going to the Valley at this point... I'm trying to do the work myself but can't pinpoint the exact area of what needs to be replaced... Ugh can't get it smogged...
Sol Searcher likes this.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
Duh, if I read the whole post I would have known. Open mouth insert foot. My moto it seems.

I have a very good shop and mechanic, but they are located in Banning. On the 10 Freeway about 20 miles west of Palm Springs. They have done most of the work on all of my cars. Two Redlines, an NA and a Mallett. Reasonably price and knowledgeable. Complete shop, mechanical, body shop and Smog.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Searcher View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback, LatinVenom.
This is NOT MINE, but was posted 18 days ago on Craigslist. Flint, MI.

Up for sale is a used sky redline/ solstice Gxp intercooler.
Has a few small dents as seen in picture. Ask $150. Call or text David @ 810 397 7808

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Give him the contact info for the recycler in Orlando

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback !
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Westlake Village is about 20 minutes through the canyon from Malibu, CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: