2007 Mallett Solstice #005! - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
As Rob stated, mine did not come with a tunnel brace. Had Dave at DDM make me 1/2 inch brace. That was my only mod.
Skersfan - does the brace bolt into existing mounting locations or do you drill or modify the frame in any way?

Thanks in advance ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Garage
Bolts right in. They originally came with a thin sheet of metal. But was removed by Mallett.
K001 likes this.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Will definitely be ordering/installing the updated brace asap...thanks everyone.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone know, or have input, on the DDM Brace Bundle (front, backbone, rear) do all work with a v8 conversion car? Especially concerned with any clearance issues related to LVFCB front chasis brace?
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM

K001, I'd love to watch a video of your car running if you ever do a video. Skersfan is your best bet on the brace bundle since he restored a Mallett, actually a modified Mallett, it was a beast.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
The beauty of the Mallett is the ability to register it here in Cali due to the fact it is a GM titled option with EPA stamp! Will be here once reliable carriers has a pick up date confirmed.
This is not true. Mallett's conversions are the closest, out of the shop, to being registerable in California, but you'll need to take it through the referee. Mallett's conversions were NOT a GM option. Their broad use of the GM parts catalog is a big help, though!

You'll need to take it to the Smog Referee. The one in Livermore wasn't so bad, but you'll want a full set of 2007 Corvette service manuals. Mark the pages with illustrations of the LS2-style exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters, because you'll need to prove they're the right ones for the car. Always be very clear that the drivetrain is 2007 Corvette. I think you could also claim 2007 CTS-V if the manifolds match (I don't recall if they got different ones than a Corvette LS2.) If it's not a 6-speed, hope the referee doesn't notice (as this can be something the referee can choose to fail you over.) Technically, even not using the same transaxle as a Corvette could be a fail reason.

Get a scan tool that can show the status of the ECM's readiness tests. You'll need 4/4 set to get through the referee, but your subsequent biannual tests can do 3/4 and pass. EVAP takes FOREVER to mark as complete, and you need to do some pretty specific driving to flip it on. Sucks to drive all the way there and find out you weren't gonna pass the electronic portion of the test. The ref will also want documentation that you're using the proper ECM & calibration. Mallett revised the ECM used over the life of production, you may be using a GMPP crate motor ECM that doesn't properly implement OBD2 protocols. They may complain about the VIN, since Mallett will have stored a Solstice VIN in the ECM, and they'll be expecting a Corvette one. This is resolvable, I had to call and talk to a supervisor, and then I passed the next time. (They may be more open to this now that I've paved the way.) Explain that it's a new motor, not a salvaged motor, so there's no donor VIN to use.

You'll be on the dyno. The engine will be VERY cold, as the earlier visual inspections will be a couple hours worth of time. If you get your exhaust system ceramic coated, the cats will light off faster, and you'll be more comfortable as the center tunnel and floors won't get as hot. It's good insurance that the dyno portion will be your friend!

Verify yourself that all the routing for the PCV, EVAP, etc are in place. Mallett did this right, but you're gonna have to be your own advocate at the ref!

It may take a couple passes, but the state only charges $8 for the whole thing no matter how long it takes! The requirements may seem tough, but they're actually pretty reasonable all-round.

Don't drive it on old tires!

Energy Suspension's differential nose bushing helps the rear end, but I think they are NLA. If you can find a Z0K crossmember, that's preferable to the alternatives, but they're pretty thin these days. I also had a local shop build me a differential cooler, but my Mallett sees a lot heavier duty than cruising and car shows.

Instagram: @slab8
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Slab8 - where were you a month ago :') edited original post to reflect Slab8 input.

Any input on the brace bundle?

Anyway, since the car is mine I will find out what the ref will want and hopefully won't be too bad as you said, the Mallett is a good base line...let the 'fun' begin!

Last edited by K001; 05-05-2018 at 11:33 AM.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Founding Member

The brace bundle will not work because the Venom Brace does not work with a V8 conversion.
You can use the rear and center pieces, but not the front.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for the confirmation LV.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
Slab8 - where were you a month ago :')

Any input on the brace bundle?

Anyway, since the car is mine I will find out what the ref will want and hopefully won't be too bad as you said, the Mallett is a good base line...let the 'fun' begin!
Sorry, I'm not on here a lot. I'm easier to reach on instagram.

Instagram: @slab8
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:05 AM

Solstice Mallett

Congratulations on you purchase of a low mile Mallett. I agree with Skersfan, keep it stock. I bought No.15 two years ago with 4K and had Chuck put the Mallett emblems back on it when I had in his brothers shop for a tune. I hope you enjoy your LS2 Solstice as much as i do. Drive it!
K001 likes this.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 AM

I'm with skersfan on this one I would not change anything other than maintenance items and maybe a set of wheels . I've been interested in Mallets for years and almost purchased one a few years ago they are far and few in the real world .With yours being an early build and very low mileage plus having the provenance on the car I believe this and GXP coupes will be the ones to own as far as collectability in the future .
K001 likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1welder54 View Post
Congratulations on you purchase of a low mile Mallett. I agree with Skersfan, keep it stock. I bought No.15 two years ago with 4K and had Chuck put the Mallett emblems back on it when I had in his brothers shop for a tune. I hope you enjoy your LS2 Solstice as much as i do. Drive it!
Yep that's the car I almost pulled the trigger on , the owner lived in Erie PA and had a rubber manufacturing business he kept raising the price with the more interest I showed .He originally offered it to at 26 grand and then got up to 30 I believe before I quit . Glad you ended up with it because from all the info I got he finally got the tune issues resolved which he thought were minor but I knew better .
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I cant afford a collector car and refuse to own a car that I cant drive. But to each their own.

I guess if you keep anything long enough it becomes worth something to someone. I mean a baby rattle from 100 BC is a collectable now.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rob,

No collector car here although, I may not modify the car beyond: tires, wheels, front & rear color matched spoiler, rpm roll bar.

Although, I must say my vehicles do not see a lot of mileage due to having a company car for during the week driving...such as my 2015 MAD Industries SEMA F-150 with less than 7000 miles

Feel free to view my 'Garage' to check out my low mileage vehicles.

Last edited by K001; 05-05-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode