**Attention - Used Solstice Buyers! READ B/4 You Buy!! - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

**Attention - Used Solstice Buyers! READ B/4 You Buy!!

I have been asked to pass along the following information:

Beware that there have been some used Solstices that have been in past floods. There are those who have purchased these cars and 'fixed them up' and are now selling them at very attractive pricing.

I am being told that many of these cars are showing up with a variety of electrical problems.

Please .... PLEASE make sure you do a car history report BEFORE you purchase any used Solstice!!
Freeway likes this.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:20 AM

I was still operating my SnapOn franchise during Katrina and was servicing two salvage yards. Within WEEKS of the hurricane EVERYBODY in the salvage industry was aware of the huge spike in flood cars. So was the auction industry. The salvage yards in the KC area were refusing to accept just about ANY vehicles from the impact areas as they were being hauled away from there in an attempt to dispose of them. Insurance companies were NOT worried about the disposition of these "totalled" cars. Flood car titles will usually be annotated.

When I was operating in S.E. Virginia there was massive flooding in eastern Virginia and some small towns like Franklin were under as much as 30-40 feet of water !!!!!!! About 2 months after the floods subsided EVERY car dealership and body shop I serviced had cars in their bays with interiors pulled out of them and carpets hanging everywhere. Gee, what a surprise.

RESEARCH THE CARS YOU ARE LOOKING AT !!!!!!!!!!!

Redline (pre-halt), Pearl, Black/Red
complete option list except auto, 3" MF cat-back,
painted calipers, owner installed power lock buttons, muc uprated springs, S.P. downpipe, Wester's tune
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM

You have to do your homework. Personally, if I cannot see a clean title and talk to the previous owner the deal is off... Always have a good mechanic look at the car as well.

Common sense goes a long way here!!

Good post MomsSol!!! With the flooding going on everywhere you have to be very careful when you are purchasing anything used
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM

My brother in law once bought a brand new Ford truck that had been in a Johnstown flood in the 70s. It was marked way down but was sold as-is, no warranty.

When more than one friend wants to ride shotgun

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Wholly agreed. Living in Houston as I tend to do, when I was looking around for my used Sol, I bought from Phoenix, def very few floods there Also, for many people I know who have had flooded vehicles or otherwise wrecked, it has never shown up on a carfax history report. Of course it all depends on where you take it to get it fixed. My brother took my mother's 30th Anniversary Trans Am into a gas pump on prom night going about 110 (in a 35), it never came up on Carfax.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM

Car Fax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyann1 View Post
Wholly agreed. Living in Houston as I tend to do, when I was looking around for my used Sol, I bought from Phoenix, def very few floods there Also, for many people I know who have had flooded vehicles or otherwise wrecked, it has never shown up on a carfax history report. Of course it all depends on where you take it to get it fixed. My brother took my mother's 30th Anniversary Trans Am into a gas pump on prom night going about 110 (in a 35), it never came up on Carfax.
Is it a possibility a car could have been flooded and that not show up on a Carfax report? I've been under the impression the only isssues showing up on a CarFax report are the issues reported and repaired.

A Wicked 2009 GXP W/ Lots of the " Right Stuff ".

Custom painted Ghost Flames with PURPLE Flame tips
"In Memoriam" Decal created by BANDITCAR
GM Splash Guards
DDM Race Backbone, DDM ProBeam
GMPP Tune
Pontiac valve stem caps,black
Beach Party Central custom fuse box
WindRestrictor..... Betty Ann's Fetish

Betty Ann
Missouri
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM

What happens to the new cars that are on the lots down there after flooding?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Location: Roosting on the west central flyway in Colorado Springs
Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP Fetish View Post
Is it a possibility a car could have been flooded and that not show up on a Carfax report? I've been under the impression the only isssues showing up on a CarFax report are the issues reported and repaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriUser View Post
What happens to the new cars that are on the lots down there after flooding?
YOU NEED TO HAVE A FULL INDEPENDANT INSPECTION DONE FOR FLOOD AND REPAIR BY SOMEONE YOU TRUST!

Got that?

Yes, this does not always show up on carfax or on titles.

I know, the river runs through us.
I have chest high surge marks under this house.
I have lost two vehicles, both double flooded and another was towed out before flooding while another had to be sacrificed.

That is all

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 PM

I'm thinking of buying a used 2006 Solstice from a private owner. He's owned it for 2 years and I've done a carfax to confirm this. I'm 63 and haven't ownered a sports car since 1970 (Triumph TR 250). It has 110,000 miles but seems to be in good condition. My question is is this car fairly reliable ? I'm too old to do my own work on the car so I I'm not looking for something that needs to be babied. Thoughts ?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 PM

I paid 17 for my 08GXP a couple weeks ago with 31k miles so tes, this is a fair deal. You want something with low mileage for sure.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Ardie - (if you're still around the forums). Any car with 110k miles on it is going to need more love and attention that something with 10k miles on it.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
I have been asked to pass along the following information:

Beware that there have been some used Solstices that have been in past floods. There are those who have purchased these cars and 'fixed them up' and are now selling them at very attractive pricing.

I am being told that many of these cars are showing up with a variety of electrical problems.

Please .... PLEASE make sure you do a car history report BEFORE you purchase any used Solstice!!
You make exceptionally good points. If the seller discloses that the car is a flood rebuild, then the buyer knows the risks. If undisclosed, then in many states "buyer beware" doctrine may apply.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Carfax reports show only "reported" issues. There are ways to avoid reporting those issues. I currently own a car that I purchased used and had a clean Carfax, but had obviously been in an accident (not my Sky).

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:50 PM

If a police report was never made, and/or the insurance never got involved there would be nothing for Car Fax to show.

I won't consider a used car that showed ownership up north or near the ocean. Even if it has a clean carfax.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I won't consider a used car that showed ownership up north or near the ocean. Even if it has a clean carfax.
Amen to that. The rust is unbelievable on coastal and northern cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode