**Attention - Used Solstice Buyers! READ B/4 You Buy!! - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpigm01 View Post
Amen to that. The rust is unbelievable on coastal and northern cars.
LOL..my car is a "northern" car and probaly as clean as any "southern" car!

It's driven all winter but I do take good care of it, washing it during the winter and making sure to clean the underside as well.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post

It's driven all winter but I do take good care of it, washing it during the winter and making sure to clean the underside as well.
You are unlike most people then. Many people, including myself, don't wash their cars every other week. I admire that you take pride in your cars. But, the people who live up north or near the coast that don't take care of their cars end up driving rusty garbage. If I lived up north, I would too. I might wash my cars once every other month, maybe. I know that's not really good for them, but, I don't have to worry about rust just because of where I live.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM

I missed this one. My 2 cents, being an 06, unless he's selling it dirt cheap like under 5k, I wouldn't do it unless he has all the service records and has replaced the wear parts. my 06 only has 50k and it's had a hard life. think it will need a clutch soon and the front end seems loose and the rearend clunks. interior has held up great except for the cop holder and the turn signal. convertible top needs some love too. my 08 on the other hand is awesome and a night and day difference. Id drive the 06, then find a newer one with about 40k miles and see how it drives before you make your decision. drive a gxp too.

Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
Carfax reports show only "reported" issues. There are ways to avoid reporting those issues. I currently own a car that I purchased used and had a clean Carfax, but had obviously been in an accident (not my Sky).

DON'T trust Carfax! They rely on unsubstantiated reports from anonymous sources.

At trade-in I was astonished to find that Carfax listed my car as "totaled, owner repaired" when, in fact, it had never been in an accident.

It took weeks and threat of litigation to get them to amend the report.

Their business model relies on a false trust that their information is correct. If it isn't they have no way of knowing or verifying.

Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car.Cust. Rests
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Aftershock Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace ... Solo HF Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post

Mine too, I live about a mile from the pacific ocean, and it's washed every week weather permitting (supposed to rain this weekend here).
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM

Garage
My car is a Northern Car, as are all in Canada, I can state with all honesty, that we in Western Canada do not have the rust issues normally associated with "eastern cars"

Check out Western Canada Kappa Club on Facebook !

My Garage https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/g...ehicle_id=1132
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Maybe it's just a stereotype I bought into too quickly lol.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Garage
I think it comes down to the area and how the roads are maintained. I bout a Trans-Am from Quebec once and it rotted before its time. There, ( at the time anyway) they used a lot of salt on the roads. Not here.

Also - I think the metal prep processes have gotten much better over the years. You hardly see rust anymore on cars, but you do see a lot of paint delamination in some areas.

Check out Western Canada Kappa Club on Facebook !

My Garage https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/g...ehicle_id=1132
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:25 PM

Yes, metal preps are vastly improved, PLUS I store my car on jacks in the winter and drive only on sunny warm days.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 PM

I bought a'90 Corvette in 2004 that came from North Carolina. Shortly afterwards, it had an overheating problem. I removed the radiator for inspection-the flow test was okay, but I removed about 5-10 lbs of sand from between the fins. It had seen some "beach" service.
I bought an Intrepid from Texas with a good carfax. It had a junkyard engine in it, as I found out later.
As you said, beware!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 PM

Garage
I am trying to buy a flood damaged coupe. But it has drug out for months now. Losing interest in it. But I was going to do a complete restoration of the car as a keeper. I think an easy way to tell if one has been under water is look under the dash. Main cross member, all of them have some slight rust on them, but would guess a flood car would show real rust in that area. It can be seen by opening the driver side door and looking up into the dash along side the steering column, right side. I think there are photos in my Mallett restoration.

But if you are not willing to do everything to the car, I would avoid it. I know several that have flood damaged cars. Almost bought a Carbon Flash Redline. It was a nice car, had water over the front end of the car, at the bottom of the rotors, and was totaled. Some do not have much damage, but you have to look at them closely. The jest of this story is buyer beware.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:17 PM

back in November 0f 2016, purchased a silver-grey solstice...manual trans...had 30,450 miles total. It looks good, runs well..
has cloth type seats....in scoping it out, noticed a headlight was replaced..rubber is ok...just changed the oil, and replaced
the oil filter...btw, bought it for under 10 k.....will like to replaced the tires with fresh goodwill(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode