Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Beginning search/decision on a GXP

7K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  GWM 
#1 ·
Hi, first post.

Starting to think about a GXP purchase. I've read the appropriate "stickies", and have searched the forum, but I can't find any info on the following problem:
I went to look at a 2008 Solstice GXP. The outside temp. was 90deg.F and humid. The salesman drove the car around with the A/C on and at idle the fan/engine noise was so loud, you almost couldn't talk across the closed hood! You couldn't even hear the exhaust when you stood behind the car, because of the racket up front.

First time driving or hearing a Solstice, so I don't know if this was normal or not. It was certainly a turn-off and made me re-think my desire for a Solstice.

I didn't think to check the water temp. gauge and the test drive was 110 miles away(and they would not come down in price), so I probably won't be going back.

Is this fan/engine/compressor noise normal for this car(Solstice) or not?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, G.W.

See less See more
#3 ·
The fan noise is noticeable but not any louder than my other GM vehicles.

#5 ·
My 2.4 (Base -non-GXP) growls louder than any vehicle with A/C that I've ever owned. There are some causes and potential fixes for this. Use the "search" box in the upper left and you'll find a couple of threads on it.

That being said, though mine is louder than I'd like, it's not so loud you can't have a conversation near the outside of the vehicle.

#6 ·
As others said, there's something wrong with that car. Either the fan is cracked and grinding, or the A/C compressor (if it was running) is on it's way out.

Either walk away, or only buy if you get in writing that the issue(s) will be fixed.

#7 ·
my 2.4 (06) had a very noisey compressior. Witch from what Ive heard was a issue on 06.apparently mine didnt get changed.( I think it was a lease car) .I added some BG products compressor quiet oil and it's much better. the fan was making a hell of a racket, so..I ordered a new one off flebay.....the new one looks great!!! and the old one is quiet as a church mouse now.......I think I might order a compressor to stick on the shelf if this one starts getting loud again....just so I dont have to change it.

#8 ·
Thanks all for the input.

Yeah, the car looked good but the noisy engine bay turned me off. I didn't know if that was representative of what a GXP with A/C running should sound like.

The dealer was suspect also. They had high add-on fees and wanted a NON-refundable deposit. I said "BYE-BYE", even though I drove 110mi. to check it out.

I have a feeling that my best bet is to buy private, 'cause Carfax doesn't really tell you anything and I would like to see service records & get an idea of how a car was maintained.

If anyone has any other advice for me, I am open to hear it.

Thanks again, G.W.

#9 ·
Reactions: easyryderca
#10 ·
if youre buying it locally, within a hundred miles; you might talk with a local gm dealership service advisor and see if he has someone or an inspection he can run it thru, for cars not local this may not work. I know they have national services that will check the car out but a 10 year old turbo ?

i'd just find a mechanic locally to have someone check it if you were worried. I would think unless you are trying to buy one with mileage over 60k, the seller would consider you a serious solstice buyer and not just someone looking for a cheap convertible.

#11 ·
Thats just part of buying a car. I would think getting the first one you check a lucky break. You need a few to see the differences in condition plus what your willing to pay. The more you see the more you know what to look at. Dont all have to be GXP's check them all out. Buying off a lot likely has a 2-3000$ mark up on it for what they got it for. They didnt get that car from someone wanting to sell it they had to sell it. Buying private would also be a crap shoot now. Depends on how long they have been sitting on it on how they will deal. I havnt had mine that long 2 of the ones I checked out are still for sale 2 years later.

Solstice stock exhaust cant hear them till you rev it up. All my cooling fans make noise and I know their on from Truck to ATV. IMO a 4 banger cant really sound good from the engine bay. They dont sound that good from the rear either they have their own sound.

#12 ·
OK, here goes with some more newbie questions.

I THOUGHT I wanted a GXP. But, I really don't need the power. I want something good looking, easy to maintain & to live with, and just to cruise in.

Maybe a NA is enough for me. I really don't know. Does the NA have any advantages over the GXP (other than price & availability)? Is it quieter at idle? Is it more reliable? Is it less costly to maintain? These are things that I just don't know for sure.

Hope someone here can help with feedback.

Thanks again, G.W.

#15 ·
I would say thats it. You will be able to find more ultra low mileage GXP's than N/A's because they use them as a luxury. Maintain the same. The option to buy either now is in your favor. A nice car is a nice car put the top down and cruise makes it a fun car. But I wouldnt think any GXP owners would trade a car in the same condition for a N/A even though they dont use max power hardly at all. The other way around would be many

#13 · (Edited)
I have both, and enjoy both. I literally drive them alternately most of the time, except that the RL is the one I take out of town, mainly because it has 20k fewer miles.

Given what you say you will likely enjoy the NA since the only thing it lacks is acceleration. For all practical street purposes the handling is the same, and everything else that matters is the same.

The NA is more reliable, simply because there are fewer bits to break, and most of the issues with the GXP are with parts that aren't even on the NA.

The GXP will be noticeably louder when it starts, until it gets a little heat in it and comes off of fast idle. It also has a ticking that the NA doesn't. Not much, but it is there.

Stock exhaust note is roughly the same for both. I have the more open exhaust from a RL on my NA so it is a bit louder.

I use synthetic oil in both of mine, so the maintenance costs are pretty much the same. Otherwise the NA would be less.

#14 ·
I was extremely blessed to buy a cream-puff when I bought my 06' NA (sight unseen) a year ago in a private sale. Although it had been sitting up for a while and needed some TLC, it was in perfect shape. The time cleaning it up has been a joy. After getting it cleaned up, she took 12th out of the Top 25 in a car show competing against about 75 cars from Alabama, Georgia and Florida. It has not been tuned or modified - except for the cold air intake I put on it. Being an '06, it does have the clunk and whine in the differential, and the AC is a bit loud, but not unacceptable. I accept the noise from the differential as part of driving a sports car. To me, it adds to the experience. There are times I'd like to have the extra horsepower of the GXP, but in reality, the NA will go as fast as I want to go. I have a lot more fun doing 40 on a back road with the top down than I do buttoned up at 100 on the Interstate.

I love my Solstice - and I thank God for sending her to me. It has been a blessing my entire family has had the opportunity to enjoy.

:wink:

#19 ·
Have you driven both the NA and GXP? If you have and the difference in the driving experience has no effect on you then get an NA. .........
Very good advice. Buying the simpler vehicle, if it satisfies your actual needs, will pay off in both the short term and long term.

#18 · (Edited)
There's a life saying; It's better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have.

We bought a GXP in 2009, and then picked up a 2.4 in 2011. The hope was that a LS would find it's way into the 2.4 engine bay. But then life happened, so if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a 2nd GXP.

Thing is I'm also a cruiser and drive the GXP like a little ole man for 99% of the time. But 1% of the time I will put my foot down if for no other reason than to remind myself that the GXP does some get up and go, and that I'm still alive. I also drive the 2.4 like a little ole man, but the difference is that I can't use that 1% even if I wanted or needed it.

I guess the moral of my story is if you don't have a little hotrodder buried deep inside you than the 2.4 will meet all your needs. Plus even if you do decide you want a little more power there are turbo and one supercharger kits available for the 2.4. Good luck on your search.

#20 ·
OK, still looking.

Going 30 miles to check out a 2008 NA tonight. It's Sly (dark gray), auto, looks like all options (except no trac. cntrl. button). Picture-wise it looks immaculate. Lady driven for last 8 yrs. ( she put on 5K miles in that period) and just replaced the battery. The odometer reads "13K"!!!!! Always kept inside, no bad weather use. She just doesn't drive it anymore & wants to move on.

I checked the GM dealer VIN lookup & except for recalls, nothing much has been done to it. I'm going to see if she has any personal service notes or records.

Now the BAD part. She's asking $12,900. That seems a little high.

What do you guys say about this deal? Of course I'll try a counter-offer, but what is reasonable for a final offer?

Also, what else may be missing with the TC switch(just the plate is there)? Anything else I need to look for or ask?(I've read the long lists posted elsewhere in the forum).

Thanks to all. This forum is a great help.

G.W.

#26 ·
Now the BAD part. She's asking $12,900. That seems a little high. G.W.
Sounds like a very nice car, and the price does sound high but it isn't unexpected w/that mileage. Just ask her if she is flexible on the price, and her response may indicate how much you should counter offer. Good luck.

#21 ·
For that condition and mileage the price doesn't see out of line to me, but you have to be happy with it. And you are the only one who has to be happy with it.

Also it seems that nearly everyone asks 10% more than they really want to give you room to think you got a deal.

#22 ·
Offer $10k, but pay up if you have a great drive.

#23 ·
Welcome! The more I hear the problems with the air conditioning in the Solstice is reassuring to me I made the right decision to order my 06 2.4 without an air conditioner. I have more power...vehicle is lighter and have never had my car run hot, or any other issues. I really like my Solstice.

#24 ·
Thanks for the comments.

Looks like it doesn't have: limited slip(G80), stabilitrak(JL4) or anti-lock brakes(JL9). Are any of these standard? I don't see the codes on the GM dealer build sheet for the VIN. Guess I'll have to check the glove compartment. Would lack of any of these be anything to be wary of?

I'll tell you what; this thing is so clean. When you look down into the engine compartment, beside the engine itself, all you can see is clean metal or clean painted surfaces.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, G.W.

#25 ·
The only one of those that I think are really desirable on an NA car that will be driven mainly in good weather is ABS, and it isn't and absolute need.

My NA has the limited slip, but its main contribution is tire squeal in tight intersections. You can also add it if you really want to by changing out the axle.

My NA does not have Stabilitrak, and I have never missed it. Read through the early forum threads and you will find that all of the "real" drivers would turn it completely off as soon as they started the car. After all, "nanny controls" were only installed by GM to limit our enjoyment. My RL has it, it stays active all of the time, but I can't stay for sure that it has ever done anything.

I like ABS, but we did survive for almost a century without it. Between my two cars and a combined 150k miles of driving on mainly back roads, mine has activated once.

Given your stated plans for the car, I would not let lack of any of these slow me down.

#27 ·
Well , I may have to change my name to "SLY SOL".

We shook on the deal(I know, I know; It's not set in stone, yet). We trade check for car on Saturday. $12K.

Now comes the hard part. Couldn't sleep worth a darn last night.

The seller almost cried when we shook hands. She apologized for how dirty it was(one bug memorial was on the bumper and I think my test drive accounted for that).

I now need to learn how to post pictures, 'cause this car does deserve to be seen. But I guess just about everyone on this forum feels that way about their car!

Where's the best place on the forum to "introduce" my car? On this thread or somewhere else?

Thanks to everyone on the kind and good comments for this newbie. Hope I can be of some help someday to someone else. Oh and my wife says that this car may one day be "HERS" if I don't stop reading this forum & get off the computer!

Now my only worry is "TILL SATURDAY!!!" and what am I going to do with that "TC" spot on my dash??

Thanks again, G.W.

#28 ·
Congratulations! And welcome to the family.

Just remind your wife that the forum is the best place for information about keeping "her" car in good shape, and eventually meeting other owners.

As far as where to introduce it, I would do it right here in this thread. It makes for good continuity.

At least you have a clear day on Saturday for the drive home, but a high of 100F !

#29 ·
Thanks JohnWR & ChopTop.

Yeah, it's going to be hot this next week. Only have to go 30 miles, so I'll probably not look like TOAST. But there's NO WAY I'm putting the top up.

Now I've got to figure out how NOT to travel I-81. Hate to do that to my trailer car(Son-in-Law), but he owes me, Ha-Ha.

Again thanks for all the comments, this is a great community on here.

All I have to do now is find enough Prozac & Valium to last me until Saturday!

See Ya, G.W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.