Beginning search/decision on a GXP - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireKicker View Post
................. But I wouldnt think any GXP owners would trade a car in the same condition for a N/A even though they dont use max power hardly at all. The other way around would be many
You might ask that question the day that their HPFP dies and get a different answer from some of them.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Have you driven both the NA and GXP? If you have and the difference in the driving experience has no effect on you then get an NA. I, having driven both before buying, had to have a GXP. It is a personal choice for sure.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:58 AM

There's a life saying; It's better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have.

We bought a GXP in 2009, and then picked up a 2.4 in 2011. The hope was that a LS would find it's way into the 2.4 engine bay. But then life happened, so if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a 2nd GXP.

Thing is I'm also a cruiser and drive the GXP like a little ole man for 99% of the time. But 1% of the time I will put my foot down if for no other reason than to remind myself that the GXP does some get up and go, and that I'm still alive. I also drive the 2.4 like a little ole man, but the difference is that I can't use that 1% even if I wanted or needed it.

I guess the moral of my story is if you don't have a little hotrodder buried deep inside you than the 2.4 will meet all your needs. Plus even if you do decide you want a little more power there are turbo and one supercharger kits available for the 2.4. Good luck on your search.
Northern Sol and easyryderca like this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 07-17-2019 at 05:02 AM.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
Have you driven both the NA and GXP? If you have and the difference in the driving experience has no effect on you then get an NA. .........
Very good advice. Buying the simpler vehicle, if it satisfies your actual needs, will pay off in both the short term and long term.
easyryderca and Bama like this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
GWM

OK, still looking.

Going 30 miles to check out a 2008 NA tonight. It's Sly (dark gray), auto, looks like all options (except no trac. cntrl. button). Picture-wise it looks immaculate. Lady driven for last 8 yrs. ( she put on 5K miles in that period) and just replaced the battery. The odometer reads "13K"!!!!! Always kept inside, no bad weather use. She just doesn't drive it anymore & wants to move on.

I checked the GM dealer VIN lookup & except for recalls, nothing much has been done to it. I'm going to see if she has any personal service notes or records.

Now the BAD part. She's asking $12,900. That seems a little high.

What do you guys say about this deal? Of course I'll try a counter-offer, but what is reasonable for a final offer?

Also, what else may be missing with the TC switch(just the plate is there)? Anything else I need to look for or ask?(I've read the long lists posted elsewhere in the forum).

Thanks to all. This forum is a great help.

G.W.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM

For that condition and mileage the price doesn't see out of line to me, but you have to be happy with it. And you are the only one who has to be happy with it.

Also it seems that nearly everyone asks 10% more than they really want to give you room to think you got a deal.

John
Lexington, KY
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:43 PM

Offer $10k, but pay up if you have a great drive.

Vin# 5765 Ordered 10-17-05, Picked up 11-29-05
Envious/Ebony Leather/Everything but XM, ashtray and polished wheels. Traded on GXP 7460 miles

GXP Ordered 8-4-06 Picked up 12-11-06! $30,197 out the door
Mysterious/Darkside/Ebony Leather/everything but XM, ashtray and spoiler
Current mileage - 112350
Top "Tabs" Installed, Replaced Alternator, Rear Main Seal and Recalled Ignition

Originator of the phrase "Solstice Mecca".

My GXP Thread
MY '06 SOLSTICE!
'06 Sold
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Welcome! The more I hear the problems with the air conditioning in the Solstice is reassuring to me I made the right decision to order my 06 2.4 without an air conditioner. I have more power...vehicle is lighter and have never had my car run hot, or any other issues. I really like my Solstice.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
GWM

Thanks for the comments.

Looks like it doesn't have: limited slip(G80), stabilitrak(JL4) or anti-lock brakes(JL9). Are any of these standard? I don't see the codes on the GM dealer build sheet for the VIN. Guess I'll have to check the glove compartment. Would lack of any of these be anything to be wary of?

I'll tell you what; this thing is so clean. When you look down into the engine compartment, beside the engine itself, all you can see is clean metal or clean painted surfaces.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, G.W.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:18 AM

The only one of those that I think are really desirable on an NA car that will be driven mainly in good weather is ABS, and it isn't and absolute need.

My NA has the limited slip, but its main contribution is tire squeal in tight intersections. You can also add it if you really want to by changing out the axle.

My NA does not have Stabilitrak, and I have never missed it. Read through the early forum threads and you will find that all of the "real" drivers would turn it completely off as soon as they started the car. After all, "nanny controls" were only installed by GM to limit our enjoyment. My RL has it, it stays active all of the time, but I can't stay for sure that it has ever done anything.

I like ABS, but we did survive for almost a century without it. Between my two cars and a combined 150k miles of driving on mainly back roads, mine has activated once.

Given your stated plans for the car, I would not let lack of any of these slow me down.

John
Lexington, KY
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWM View Post
Now the BAD part. She's asking $12,900. That seems a little high. G.W.
Sounds like a very nice car, and the price does sound high but it isn't unexpected w/that mileage. Just ask her if she is flexible on the price, and her response may indicate how much you should counter offer. Good luck.
easyryderca likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
GWM

Well , I may have to change my name to "SLY SOL".

We shook on the deal(I know, I know; It's not set in stone, yet). We trade check for car on Saturday. $12K.

Now comes the hard part. Couldn't sleep worth a darn last night.

The seller almost cried when we shook hands. She apologized for how dirty it was(one bug memorial was on the bumper and I think my test drive accounted for that).

I now need to learn how to post pictures, 'cause this car does deserve to be seen. But I guess just about everyone on this forum feels that way about their car!

Where's the best place on the forum to "introduce" my car? On this thread or somewhere else?

Thanks to everyone on the kind and good comments for this newbie. Hope I can be of some help someday to someone else. Oh and my wife says that this car may one day be "HERS" if I don't stop reading this forum & get off the computer!

Now my only worry is "TILL SATURDAY!!!" and what am I going to do with that "TC" spot on my dash??

Thanks again, G.W.
Northern Sol and easyryderca like this.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 AM

Congratulations! And welcome to the family.

Just remind your wife that the forum is the best place for information about keeping "her" car in good shape, and eventually meeting other owners.

As far as where to introduce it, I would do it right here in this thread. It makes for good continuity.

At least you have a clear day on Saturday for the drive home, but a high of 100F !

John
Lexington, KY
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
GWM

Thanks JohnWR & ChopTop.

Yeah, it's going to be hot this next week. Only have to go 30 miles, so I'll probably not look like TOAST. But there's NO WAY I'm putting the top up.

Now I've got to figure out how NOT to travel I-81. Hate to do that to my trailer car(Son-in-Law), but he owes me, Ha-Ha.

Again thanks for all the comments, this is a great community on here.

All I have to do now is find enough Prozac & Valium to last me until Saturday!

See Ya, G.W.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Just remember that you can use the AC with the top down. And have fun.

John
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode