Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Coupe #17

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  terndude 
#1 ·
So I was browsing the online listings on Saturday and came across a fresh one...no pics, no price, just “2009 Solstice GXP Coupe. 3770 miles. Manual.” Is all it had.

So I called and left a message at like 5AM. They got back to me quickly and sent some images via text message. There it was, the one I’d been waiting for. Aggressive red, fantastic condition, reasonable price, soft top included, and only 240 miles away.

So I jumped.

I had sold my 08 aggressive red GXP manual after getting my new Tesla 3 and missed it terribly. Same designer, btw, which was obvious when they sat side by side in the garage. My wife hates the Tesla and the insurance is insane so I figured I’d be on the lookout for another kappa.

We made an overnight road trip out of it and made sure the kids had plenty of fun along the way. Picked it up on Sunday evening and although it killed me to turn it over the 4,000 mile mark I had to get it home. Drove, handled, and even smelled like a brand new car. Folks on either side of I-84 were turning their heads like owls trying to figure out what they were seeing. Sitting in that snug little interior with admittedly awful visibility felt like being home again...only this time with showroom quality surroundings!

So, getting a whopping 36 mpg, it made the run from Central Washington to Salem Oregon with plenty of gas to spare. Unicorn captured. Dream actualized. One of only 26 in my ideal configuration to finally call my own.

It spent its entire 10 year life in the dry, sparsely populated hills and flats of Central Washington. The original owner, mesmerized by one on the cover of a magazine, simply had to have one. He bought #17 and kept it as his garage trophy but wouldn’t admit he was a bit too old for a stick shift. He got two soft tops and aftermarket rims and tires to match the magazine cover (but never installed them). When he passed away a friend inherited #17 but the old guy was such a collector the tops, keys, fobs, and aftermarket rims/wheels were lost in a barn filled with a lifetime of collected items. They managed to find one of the soft tops and it’s headed my way now. I’m in contact with the friend and will see if the other items can head my way. I’m just happy they managed to order a new key so I could drive it!

So there you have it, the story of Coupe #17. A low-mileage Northwest native. Red like the Tesla (for sale) and my 88 Fiero GT manual (also for sale) and my 08 Solstice (now living it up in Palm Springs under the name Ms. Scarlet). I don’t name my cars so #17 will suffice ?

See less See more
#4 ·
Many of the publicity photos of the coupes showed the Q9Y twin spoke wheels that they never actually fitted to the coupes - is that what they had for your car? If so, try and find them - several of us have fitted them to our coupes as we liked the look of those photos.

#10 ·
Congratulations on your purchase. I will add your car to the coupe registry. Drive it and enjoy it.

#11 ·
a stick !

congrats...

:party:

#12 ·
Got a few pics from underneath...I assume surface oxidation on the iron parts is to be expected after essentially sitting for 10 years. Uncleaned, as delivered in 09...

Attachments

#13 ·
That's pretty clean... look at those shocks - spotless!

#15 ·
turndude: wickedmike here. I added you to the coupe registry. Now I'm confused because I thought you were in WA. state. Are you actually in Salem OR. ? Also great looking car and the right!!! color!! We had 10 coupes at the nationals in Corning NY.
3 - Ruby Red Metallic (wicked) , 2-Blue(deep), 2 Mysterious (black), 1- orange (Brazen) and 2- Victory Red (Aggressive)

#18 ·
So… now that you have one, what are you going to do to it? Or is this car going to be one of those 'keep it in the box' collectible kind of cars?

#19 ·
. I’ll keep it stock. Put limited miles on it. I had loads of fun in my 08 GXP but this one is going to be driven on special occasions and well cared for! If I want one to put miles on I’ll find one that already has plenty on the odometer and add it to the collection!

But at this point I’ve kinda decided to go all electric from here on out. I wanted the last ICE car I buy to be a Red Solstice GXP Coupe Manual and, well, mission accomplished!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.