Good news! Bad news! - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
What is the VIN of that ride ?

Unknown to me

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygriff View Post
ChrisBlair,

You definitely sound well informed on the issues with the Kappa's and what to look for.

I think your assessment is spot on. The reality is since you do have a pretty good grasp of what to look for and if your instincts tell you to walk away, walk away.

I always say, if it was meant to be, it will. Maybe they will call you back to negotiate. Maybe not.
As other have noted, there are lots of Kappa's out there. Some with low price, but issues; some flawless and pricey.

Trust your instincts and you will find a vehicle that you will enjoy and not regret!!

Best of luck on your search
Thank you. My eyes are open. I've only scratched the surface. I kick myself every time I think of my old GXP.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:36 AM

2008, GXP, Auto, Silver, 22,000 Miles, $15,750.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...785723612.html

2008, GXP, Auto, Yellow, 10,000 Miles, $16,900
https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ct...782708266.html

2007, GXP, Auto, Green, Miles not listed, $11,000
https://binghamton.craigslist.org/ct...794224549.html

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Good luck with your search, there are plenty of great cars out there with low miles in perfect condition. I got my garage queen GXP a year ago for $12k cash with 34k miles. It already had the water pump replaced. Over the past year that I've had it I've noticed many, many other GXP's pop up with less than 20k miles for about the same I paid. The prices seem to continue to slowly drop. You'll find the gem you're looking for, patience and effort in searching is all it will take.

BTW - I flew multiple states away with one way tickets to drive both my kappas back home. You may need to open your search distance and have one hauled or driven back to your home.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
2008, GXP, Auto, Silver, 22,000 Miles, $15,750.
https://longisland.craigslist.org/ct...785723612.html

2008, GXP, Auto, Yellow, 10,000 Miles, $16,900
https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ct...782708266.html

2007, GXP, Auto, Green, Miles not listed, $11,000
https://binghamton.craigslist.org/ct...794224549.html
Choptop is THE MAN in finding and listing these low milage cars. Thanks for your time Chop!!
WickedMike and ChopTop like this.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Actually, I've noticed an increase in price on most Kappas out there. I had mine listed for $8k 2 weeks ago. When I went to look at "comparable" cars, most ranged from $9500 to $12500 for an '08, much higher then they were the last time I looked back in November. And most that I looked at had over 100k on them for those prices.

I was going to let it go for $7k, but the guy never emailed me back. And he already knew I was complaining about what I thought maybe a timing chain issue. So I decided I'm going to keep it till after I do the timing chain, replace the WP for a 2nd time and clean the valves and then relist it for a tad more. Then I can have a clean conscience knowing that my car had nothing wrong with it when it left my possession.

I decided to list mine only because I've finally succumb to the fact that these cars aren't going up in value, and the only ones that will ever be worth anything will be the GXP coupes.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Sounds like you've got things under control. Buying something like this is an emotional experience, but it shouldn't be a decision informed by emotion.

Despite these cars being significantly harder to find than a 'Vette or a Camaro, there are plenty out there if you're willing to take your time. I'm surprised that a dealer would let a rough car take up lot space for three months, and apparently be willing to let it sit for six more. They make a pretty good margin on the warranty (or so I've been told by someone who *should* know); surprising also that they'd complain about your offer. If the warranty cost them $1500 - which I doubt, though someone else may correct me here - then they're taking $1500 off and should still clear 3-4k in profit.

But, these numbers are completely pulled out of my... imagination, so I could be way off.

Also, FWIW: I've found the forum to be insanely helpful. On the rare occasion when someone comes across as antagonistic or critical, it's typically been a misunderstanding. Tone doesn't come across well in text.
Northern Sol and easyryderca like this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 01-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
You will find the right car when you least expect it... I bought my 2008 GXP four months ago after getting a tip from a distant cousin - I paid 10k (plus 1k shipping to California) and it had only 11k miles. This car spent too much time in a barn in Michigan and needed tires (bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S), a battery and some repairs to fix rodent damage, which cleared the CEL problem and made the car smogable. Be patient and keep looking - maybe kick open some barn doors!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	92995  

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
I test drove my first GXP in December of 2017. It was brazen color with 70k miles, and not in the shape I would have preferred. The dealer had it for over 6 months and were asking $10k for it. I offered $8k out the door and they said $8500 out the door. I walked away. I called back 4 days later and it was sold! I was so upset and blamed my wife since she was the one who halted the sale. Looking back it was a blessing, I now love my silver/cool (fastest colored car ever made) with 35k miles I paid a little more for.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I looked at a total of six local cars, four of them actually in my state. Was in electronic contact with a dealer in IL about another GXP, overpriced in my opinion, and they wouldn't budge so I never went to see it. I also had a good lead on a very very nice 2007 GXP which is virtually a clone of my original car but with a few more options. Far far out of state and due to circumstances beyond my control I need to stay local. Didn't go to see it in person, but from the many photos I received, this car is about as clean as you'd care to find and it's a special car for whoever buys it. Thanks again for your time and for thinking of me, Ron and Debbie, if you're reading this.

Looked at a Sly GXP last August. Sadly the owner was not of the same opinion of the condition of the vehicle as I was. He wanted 10K, I wanted a much better car for that money. I looked at another Sly GXP this winter in NH at a dealership. Mechanic at an affiliated dealership had owned it. I liked much of what I saw but I know aftermarket parts were installed and who knows what they were. Car did not have the performance to back up the multitude of stickers under the hood. Car was 10K, they would not give me close to the deal I wanted, and I walked.

Looked at a Mysterious GXP in RI. It was...you guessed it, 10K. And it needed 5K of bodywork. Pass. Then another Mysterious GXP for...10K, and an Aggressive GXP for 5K at the same seller's place, which frankly was almost in the shape of the Mysterious GXP they had. Black car had so many gouges and scrapes in the paint I was astounded. Needed interior work. Red car I suspect was in a flood. Weird vibe too at the place so hard pass.

Lastly and very recently I looked at another Sly 2008 Solstice GXP, manual trans. Owner was a careful man who really appreciated the car. Age prompted him to sell. Car was mint under the hood, like a new car. Underneath is clean, clean clean. Interior is just shy of mint, too. Roof looks new, wheels look new, never curbed, and the under side of the front fascia was never scraped either. Drives really nicely. Inspected about a week ago. A few spots of bad luck on the body, dent in the hood on the passenger side crease that needs actual bodywork, two minor dings that PDR will solve. Rock strike on the windshield header. Scratches on the trunk lid, probably will buff out. Fenders don't have any 'frown' but one was dented underneath, par for the course. Almost no road rash. Front wheel well liners have some cracks form over-torquing, seems common, my old one had it when brand new. A shade over 20,000 miles showing on the car.

I bought it for just under 12 grand. My budget was higher so the few small body issues will get corrected soon. Waiting on my registration and tags. Pics soon, weather here has been terrible. Didn't have a chance to take photos today, too busy doing important things like adjusting the driver's seat!

So for a little less than 2K more than many of the other cars I looked at, I easily got twice the car being offered.

Gone but not forgotten:

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Congratulations!

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.

Now wish me luck on waiting for my plates and papers! Hopefully tomorrow.

Gone but not forgotten:

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:18 PM

You did all the right things! Waited for a good one and paid a commensurate price.

Good luck and enjoy!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:49 PM

Congrats Chris.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM

Congratulations!! Hope it is a good one for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode