Long road from the concept to this car (FINALLY ordered!) - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Long road from the concept to this car (FINALLY ordered!)

It's been a long road.

I saw the 2002 concept in Detroit as did many others and fell in love with it. I felt the lump in my throat as I saw it up on the stage. I was laid off from work at the time and as much as I wanted one I knew it wasn't to be.

Then came the announcement of the GXP. Damn, I wanted that even more... Looks and the power to match.

Then in the summer of 2006 when they first became available to order, I ordered the 2007 Solstice GXP that I have seen in my dreams since I was a kid. I was back to work and things were good. Christmas of 2006 brought presents for the car. A personalised plate, red caliper paint and caliper stickers were under the tree.

The wait was long for those first cars as many of you might remember. In February of 2007 when it looked as though I was once again going to find myself on the unemployment lines I called the dealer to cancel the order. All those months of waiting for nothing. Heart broken and to find out that the same day that when I called the dealer to cancel, he was given a build date made me feel even worse. I was able to cancel however and the car no doubt went to a loving home where it would be taken care of as it should.

I remained an active member of this forum and I suppose that in a way I was able to enjoy the car through many of your posts.

Well as it goes, what goes around, comes around and things are picking up at the plant. More work is coming our way. Spring and top down driving weather is just around the corner.

Yesterday I went to the dealer to get some pricing information and today I placed the order. I thought long and hard about what to get over the years and to say that I am pumped about getting this car would be an understatement of a size that you could only imagine. I had thought for about 2 minutes of waiting for a 2009 but hell, I have waited long enough!

I ordered a Deep with the darkside top and every option available but the smokers package. I pick up the spoiler that I ordered from Rudy at Aftershock designs in the next few days and the dealer has said that they will paint it for me. Looks at this point as though I will have the car in my driveway around the end of May / first of June.

Does anyone have pictures of a Deep with black top and red calipers? A high resolution picture would make a great desktop wallpaper until I can take my own pics.

Thanks again everyone for being here. You have all been GREAT!

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 PM

Congrats Sly Bob.
That is a long wait but the Solstice is well worth waiting for.
Glad to see you stuck with it, I know your going to enjoy it.
I'm sure someone will post a deep for you to usa as wallpaper.

8408 Black on Black

"I used to seize the day but I built up a resistance, soon I was seizing whole weeks just to get the same buzz."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 AM

Congrats and I know you are gonna enjoy the ride! PM deepbluegxp as he has a ton of pictures of his car and he is a shutter bug as well

#118042 11/18/06 GXP Mean Darkside loaded wo On-Star
MODS: ED IC Pipes, Dejon IC, Magnaflow Catback

#1922 12/03/05 (RIP)
Mysterious Steel/Sand w/ 6-Disc Monsoon
Conv., Pwr & Premium Pkgs A/C LSD Carpet Mats
MODS: GM CAI & CATBAck
Dover DE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 AM

Yay Sly Bob! Congratulations on taking the plunge. You will love every minute of it and learn to reqret the Ontario winters!

I also ordered the Aftershock spoiler and am looking very for ward to getting it on the back of my Sly.

So, my question is....are you going to change your screen name to Deep Bob?

Miner - Sly, black leather, fully loaded except smokers and OnStar
(ordered Feb.27/06 - VIN1G2MB35B17Y118341 - Received Dec. 29/06)
Miner's Mod Page
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Stay in touch with the dealership to make sure everything is going well.

In the US, next week's allocation cycle is the last for the Deep color. It could be the same in Canada. So check in.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, it’s attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 AM

congrats on your ordering your car, in the US it takes about 6 weeks to get one in when you order on. Sorry, I got rid of the stock a month after I got the car

Here it is with the same rims painted to match along with the windshield and humps painted to match.

2007 Solstice GXP - Deep - Orderd 26 Jan, 07; born 22 Feb, delivered 9 Mar. (mine)
2009 Solstice GXP Coupe - Wicked - 000406, Bought off the lot June 2, 2009. (wife's)

See my car on cardomain.com
DeepBlueGXP also on the Skyroadster and Kappa Performance Forum.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Congrats, Bob. It'll give you something to do this spring, since the Leafs are gonna miss the playoffs again!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
Yay Sly Bob! Congratulations on taking the plunge. You will love every minute of it and learn to reqret the Ontario winters!

I also ordered the Aftershock spoiler and am looking very for ward to getting it on the back of my Sly.

So, my question is....are you going to change your screen name to Deep Bob?
My loving wife for the Christmas of 2006 bought me these so no, Sly Bob it is...

Last edited by Sly Bob; 03-20-2008 at 11:34 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post

In the US, next week's allocation cycle is the last for the Deep color. It could be the same in Canada. So check in.
Thank SD,

Got the order number today (D93708) and the dealer does have an allocation so I am hopeful that all is well.

Yeah, I will stay in touch with him.

You have been a wealth of information as well and thanks for ALL you do.

Bob
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Founding Member

Congratulations, enjoy it.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post

I would second this. I may be an anomally for special ordered vehicles, however my '08 (which was ordered Sept 06 and barely missed being an '07 model) did not arrive as optioned. Despite the order being exactly what I optioned, it was delivered with the wrong wheel package, the spoiler, and a slushbox tranny in addition to the now mandatory On-Star setup. The tranny being incorrect was the real killer, but it took the dealership all of 15 minutes to locate my current car which is minus the spoiler and has a 5 speed. My point being, it's great to get what you ordered but don't rule out asking your dealership to locate an existing car on a lot. They don't always get what they ask for either.

Incidentally, by the time my dealership could verify my car had been assigned a VIN, the car was already complete and on it's way.

"Thou shalt make a GM vehicle** people will like."
**excluding Corvette and other desirable GM vehicles

-Bob Lutz
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 PM

Slybob, I'm happy that your wait is over.. it's been long enough.
Congrat!!

MKC
[SIZE="1"]
2008 Brazen Solstice GXP
Ordered: 08/01/07
Delivered: 09/18/07

-PCM4LESS TUNE!!!!
-Solo Street Race exhaust
-Dejon CAI, IC Pipes
-Greddy RS BOV
-Boost Gauge, Interceptor Gauge
-Billeted engine caps
-Kappa Windshield
-Blacked-out headlight
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM

I ordered mine also Bob, I watched the dealer put in my specs and I got EXACTLY what I ordered 6 weeks later. I couldn't be happier and you will be also.

2007 Solstice GXP - Deep - Orderd 26 Jan, 07; born 22 Feb, delivered 9 Mar. (mine)
2009 Solstice GXP Coupe - Wicked - 000406, Bought off the lot June 2, 2009. (wife's)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepbluegxp View Post
congrats on your ordering your car, in the US it takes about 6 weeks to get one in when you order on. Sorry, I got rid of the stock a month after I got the car

Here it is with the same rims painted to match along with the windshield and humps painted to match.
Thanks for posting the pictures DeepblueGXP. Maybe I could photoshop the rims.

I do love the way they look though.

Bob
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM

found a rim to change for stock. how's this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode