Need some quick buying help! - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
You don't need traction control on dry pavement, or at least I never have.
Hell, I need traction control in a straight line, on dry pavement, on RE71s.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
You don't need traction control on dry pavement, or at least I never have.
Hell, I need traction control in a straight line, on dry pavement on RE71's.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
I picked up a 90k mile GXP a little over a year ago for $6500. I've had to replace the water pump (not as bad as everyone makes it sound), high pressure fuel pump and a few other bits, but overall it's been great.
My point in commenting about pump failures was that they represent a pretty serious repair expense if you don't replace them yourself, and that they are more likely to fail in a GXP than an NA.
Quote:
I also have an NA (that's since been turbo'd). Nothing in the world or any parallel dimension, real or imagined, would convince me to get another NA.
Clearly your desires are different than the OP's. Refer to Post#17.
Quote:
Hell, I need traction control in a straight line, on dry pavement on RE71's.
Could be a malfunctioning Throttle Pedal Position Sensor, since you should be able to modulate your throttle. Might be worth a look.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkMackson View Post
Thank you everyone who has posted! This is exactly what I was hoping for - as many opinions as possible. Overall I feel like I'm stuck right in the middle because of the following (not taking into account performance):
Do you have a budget in mind, that might help determine if you should go w/a NA or GXP.

If you're a cruiser go with a 2.4, if you're performance orientated go with GXP. After reading your comments I'm inclined to think you'd be happy with an auto GXP. Follow the old man rule, buy the best car you can at the price you can afford. Also, insurance companies seem to have been totaling our cars out at very quick rate the last several years so you may want to keep that in mind too.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Do you have a budget in mind, that might help determine if you should go w/a NA or GXP.

If you're a cruiser go with a 2.4, if you're performance orientated go with GXP. After reading your comments I'm inclined to think you'd be happy with an auto GXP. Follow the old man rule, buy the best car you can at the price you can afford. Also, insurance companies seem to have been totaling our cars out at very quick rate the last several years so you may want to keep that in mind too.
See his earlier posts.
Quote:
He had an NA, and you're not kidding about the power difference! It's really not a huge deal for me as the looks/cruising factor is the most important part for me. I'm seriously right down the middle here. For $5k I would get a red N/A with no real extra options & 71K miles. The only immediate thing I would do would be upgrade the stereo and MAYBE down the line an exhaust & tune. Any replacement parts (struts, clutch, air filter) would be upgrades when needed but most likely I would just use this as an intro to the car and something to enjoy the drive.

The turbo for $11,250 I wouldn't really have to do anything at all except maintenance but it would be the absolute roof of my spending ability. It also has the traction control (which would probably come in handy when I decide to drive it in the winter in New England), fancy roof liner and ABS. I'm just wondering if the extra 6k is worth it.

John
Lexington, KY
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
Need some quick buying help!

Pretty clean auto GXP with 58k just popped up on FB for $9k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Traction control does it job like any modern car. I can get mine to flicker in 2nd gear at full boost around 4krpm...or if I spin the turbo and dump the clutch in first. There is also Competition or Competitive mode, which allows you to get wheel spin, but the minute you go past 5? degrees of corrective steering the fun is over. My advice, never turn TC off unless on a track with a GXP. You have to have quick hands and fast feet or the car will come around on you in a heart beat with TC off...

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:44 AM

What a great thread

I think there are a lot of good opinions here. For myself, earlier in August 2019 I bought a NA 2007 Solstice. During my search, I quickly found out that there are many options that can come on a base model, so you have to know what you are looking at. I think TC was only available on the GXP, although with some moisture on the road, even the NA could use it.
Mine came with premium sound, acoustic headliner, power door locks, spoiler, chrome wheels, limited slip, XM radio, OnStar, manual trans. I don't think there's anything else except automatic trans that I could have gotten, and I passed up a lot of nice, cheaper cars to get the manual trans.

This 09 GXP has been sold. It looks really nice, and the miles and price tell me that this car was a bargain. I bought my car for cash, but I might have taken out a loan to get this one!

For me, I find a tremendous amount of satisfaction with the looks and the feel of the NA car. I'm more of a cruiser type, enjoying country roads with turns and hills. The car is solidly planted, and with a little throttle manipulation you can get the nose to pull into a decreasing radius turn real nice.

There's something to be said for a car that requires its driver to apply some skill to make it perform. I've owned vintage Beetles and Buses, and Fiat X1/9s. I ride street motorcycles and yet, this car brings a smile to my face every time.

I'm still learning about this car and I'm impressed with the build quality, especially considering the price point. Even though my car had 48K when I bought it, in the first week the Engine Light came on and the codes came up for the cam positioning solenoid. I found a pair (Intake/Exhaust) on Amazon for $35, put them in myself and problem solved. The old ones still worked, but I think they were weak. They came out very clean, no oil deposits whatsoever. Since then, no issues.

I hope you enjoy what you get!
easyryderca likes this.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Traction control does it job like any modern car. I can get mine to flicker in 2nd gear at full boost around 4krpm...or if I spin the turbo and dump the clutch in first. There is also Competition or Competitive mode, which allows you to get wheel spin, but the minute you go past 5? degrees of corrective steering the fun is over. My advice, never turn TC off unless on a track with a GXP. You have to have quick hands and fast feet or the car will come around on you in a heart beat with TC off...
In the context of this thread the question is whether lack of TC on the NA is a negative to having it on the GXP, so "full boost" really isn't an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halnwheels View Post
........... although with some moisture on the road, even the NA could use it. .........
Given my NA experience I am going to suggest that this is/was tire related. The RS-As that came on the NA were notorious for their lack of performance in the wet. Good tires make a huge difference, although if you try hard enough you can get anything to break loose.
Quote:
........ The car is solidly planted, and with a little throttle manipulation you can get the nose to pull into a decreasing radius turn real nice. .........
I absolutely agree. One thing that is very nearly the same between the two options is handling. The GXP is stiffer, which can be a benefit under some conditions and a liability under others.
easyryderca likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
See his earlier posts.
Thanks JohnWR, but if you don't mind I'd appreciate if yo would let the poster answer questions that are directed to them. Thanks in advance.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Thanks JohnWR, but if you don't mind I'd appreciate if yo would let the poster answer questions that are directed to them. Thanks in advance.
You're welcome. I did let the poster answer the question directed at him, he just happened to have answered it before you asked. So I guess you are actually welcome in advance, too.

John
Lexington, KY
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 PM

Edited, it just not worth it.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-28-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halnwheels View Post
This 09 GXP has been sold. It looks really nice, and the miles and price tell me that this car was a bargain. I bought my car for cash, but I might have taken out a loan to get this one
I was actually the one who bought it. Flew out to Pittsburgh this morning with cash and as we were driving to drop the owner off after he picked me up from the airport... CEL came on. We stopped at autozone and:

p2270
P2270
P2096
P2195

Ugh... I told him I’d give him $10k and just take it and figure it out. He wanted to fix it. Seriously, a super nice guy and was totally bummed (not as much as me but what could either of us do?) He is going to get it fixed and reach back out to me to come back. So heartbroken, the car was for real like new. He also had a black GXP coupe with 14k that was unbelievable.
The_Ghost likes this.

Last edited by JarkMackson; 08-28-2019 at 06:02 PM.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I was actually the one who bought it. Flew out to Pittsburgh this morning with cash and as we were driving to drop the owner off after he picked me up from the airport... CEL came on. We stopped at autozone and:

p2270
P2270
P2096
P2195

Ugh... I told him Id give him $10k and just take it and figure it out. He wanted to fix it. Seriously, a super nice guy and was totally bummed (not as much as me but what could either of us do?) He is going to get it fixed and reach back out to me to come back. So heartbroken, the car was for real like new. He also had a black GXP coupe with 14k that was unbelievable.
Well...they're all related to the O2 sensors. Should be a quick, easy fix. I just read this...I was going to suggest you look at the Saturn Sky as they are the same car. Hopefully he calls you back!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone who has posted! This is exactly what I was hoping for - as many opinions as possible. Overall I feel like I'm stuck right in the middle because of the following (not taking into account performance):

N/A - at 71,000 miles, just the regular things that are going to come up are strut/spring replacement, clutch replacement (feels good now but...), and little things here and there (seals, bushings etc). The car also has no ABS, no traction control, no cruise but it does have power door locks, a/c auto lights and after the scrape is repaired (it's in the shop now) it will really shine nicely. I'll also want to upgrade the stereo (I like my music).

GXP - 40,000 miles - I'll have about another 10,000 miles until I have to worry about anything major as far as repairs go so I'll have time to save up some cash for that. It has all of the GXP options that aren't available on the N/A and the stereo is better out of the gate, "premium" headliner (not sure if that actually makes a difference). The resale value will probably hold up a bit better too, especially considering the mileage and the fact that it's the last year the car was available.

I am actually curious, how is the traction control on these cars? Also, please let me know if what I have posted makes sense or if I'm completely off base.
Huh? Looks to me like he was asking about traction control on both....Or did you read something I didn't????

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode