P0455 and Radiator hose ? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

P0455 and Radiator hose ?

Keep getting P0455 and today seen radiator fluid on ground today. There is a hose on the side of reserve or where you put anti freeze in and there is a hose not connected to nothing hanging over spilling out anti freeze. Then radiator light flicker then I top off and fine. But nothing is fine when you see i hose spilling out anti freeze. Can code p0455 be something to do with that. Seems to be connected. Anyways have to get that fixed. Hose is only spills out where it heats up and spills out of hole in top when it over flows. That hose on top of reserve. The hole that connects to top of it there are 3 hoses. Any ideas what thats for and can it cause that codes. Read somewhere it can be but asking you guys tyvm. Spilled out when I was filling up again and when got to top there is a hole and when it got to top the small hose on top spilled over into a hose connected to nothing that hose. Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM

P0455 is not related to the engine coolant. It indicates a leak in the evaporative emissions system. It could be a hose disconnected or damaged, a valve stuck, or a loose gas cap.

There is a hose from the top of the expansion chamber that is the overflow, and is the only one that is not connected at both ends. If your system is over-filled coolant will spill out of that hose when the engine gets hot. Check the level when the engine is cold, and it should be at or slightly below the seam in the middle of the expansion tank. If you fill the tank above that when the engine is cold it will overflow when it is hot.

NEVER open the tank cap when the engine is hot. ALWAYS wait for it to cool down.

If you are getting a low coolant light there is a leak somewhere, and a common place for that leak is the water pump. If that is leaking you will have to replace it.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

See lol same thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-09-15-20-15_1568056866671.png
Views:	23
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	99237  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok John tyvm what is wrong with radiator then it spills out the hose then radiator light starts to blink indicated that low on fluid. When I top off light goes off. Never got above 220 degrees. Why is it spilling out?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM

You could have a bad coolant level switch if the coolant is at the seam when the engine is cold and you get a warning light.

John
Lexington, KY
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
You could have a bad coolant level switch if the coolant is at the seam when the engine is cold and you get a warning light.
Could the evap code P0455 have anything to do with P0420. I am getting new cat installed in 2 days?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent1313 View Post
Quote:
Could the evap code P0455 have anything to do with P0420. I am getting new cat installed in 2 days?
And after I found puddle of anti frezze after tuning off car that is when light blinked so its a level I will get it looked at tyvm.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I don't see how. The catalytic converter is in the exhaust, and the evap code is more or less for air leaking into the fuel tank.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I don't see how. The catalytic converter is in the exhaust, and the evap code is more or less for air leaking into the fuel tank.
Ok tyvm just another problem. I take the car to the shop on 11th for cat heat shield turn signal switch now also have to deal with the evap and coolant. What a cost this will be.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok tyvm just another problem. I take the car to the shop on 11th for cat heat shield turn signal switch now also have to deal with the evap and coolant. What a cost this will be.
Ok tyvm will get it looked at when at the shop. About a month ago had purge canister fixed maybe they forgot to put hose on right. The purge did fail on my OBD11 scanner so problly a problem there. So can it be with purge system? I did change my gas cap did not reset heard it can off on its own after 16 drive cycles. Hope that will help. Don't want to reset sensors again because going in shop tomorrow and want them to see what sensors are saying. Tyvm for advice.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok tyvm will get it looked at when at the shop. About a month ago had purge canister fixed maybe they forgot to put hose on right. The purge did fail on my OBD11 scanner so problly a problem there. So can it be with purge system? I did change my gas cap did not reset heard it can off on its own after 16 drive cycles. Hope that will help. Don't want to reset sensors again because going in shop tomorrow and want them to see what sensors are saying. Tyvm for advice.
Just had fixed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-10-11-38-09_1568129950008.png
Views:	16
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	99239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-10-11-38-09_1568129974597.png
Views:	12
ID:	99241  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Yes, the P0455 could be caused by a problem with the purge system, especially a loose hose. How much did you drive between having the evap canister replaced and getting the P0455?

As near as I can tell you are looking at three completely independent problems since there is only one thing that connects the catalytic converter, the fuel system, and the coolant system.

There is a small chance that you have a problem with the ECM, but I do not think it likely.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the P0455 could be caused by a problem with the purge system, especially a loose hose. How much did you drive between having the evap canister replaced and getting the P0455?

As near as I can tell you are looking at three completely independent problems since there is only one thing that connects the catalytic converter, the fuel system, and the coolant system.

There is a small chance that you have a problem with the ECM, but I do not think it likely.
Only drove maybe a few 100 miles if even that.
Not very long he says replaced canister on bill. Here is what is said fixed on OBD reader. And like I says on bill vapor canister solenoid. And intercooler and Fuel tank filler pipe. Could it have to do with any of that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-10-11-38-09_1568153006069.png
Views:	9
ID:	99259  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM

What I see on that screenshot is a list of things that could cause this fault, not any indication of something that was actually fixed.

The solenoid, canister, or filler pipe could all be at fault if a connection was not made correctly or has come loose.

The test for this problem only runs when the engine is started cold, and will not run if the fuel tank is completely full. In only 100 miles you may have only run the test once, so the original problem may not have been fixed. I think you should find out how they verified that they fixed it the first time.

John
Lexington, KY
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What I see on that screenshot is a list of things that could cause this fault, not any indication of something that was actually fixed.

The solenoid, canister, or filler pipe could all be at fault if a connection was not made correctly or has come loose.

The test for this problem only runs when the engine is started cold, and will not run if the fuel tank is completely full. In only 100 miles you may have only run the test once, so the original problem may not have been fixed. I think you should find out how they verified that they fixed it the first time.
Ok tyvm I am taking it in tomorrow. So will explain what is happening and what was done so maybe they can figure it out easier. If not will let them run there test and tell me for sure what it is and how much it will be to fix. I thank you Jonh for all your help and fast answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode