Thinking about buying a 2007 GXP. Need help! - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlange3 View Post
No, next to the top on the right side is the AM/FM antenna, the one in the middle of the trunk lid is the XM antenna. The XM tuner is in the trunk too.

Oh ok. Yeah they both work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Congrats on your new ride & to the forum.Great thread enjoyed reading every ones insights.
Myllertime likes this.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Transformed my headlight to black interior and restored the clear cover.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, of course the car is already giving me headache. I've put in about 2k miles on it and it started heating up on me and not giving me cabin heat. Changed reservoir cap, nothing, changed thermostat, nothing, changed water pump, nothing, what the heck is going on? When I run the car on my driveway, I see no leaks at all. Once I back out I see some liquid spill like there is a leak but it's pooling it somewhere until I move the car. I don't see the coolant going down (maybe it's so small?) not sure what else to check. Maybe the head gasket? I'm so busy that I'm already thinking about selling it for $1500-2k under value to cover repairs. What should I do? I'm slightly over it but also love the car (when it runs) lol. I am able to drive it around my neighbors hood for about 20-30 mins before temps hits 215-220 then I park it.

post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM

They probably did a coolant change on it. If it wasn't done correctly, you will have to "burp" your car. Search the forum, there's thousands of posts on it. Also ddmworks.com will have information on how to burp the car. After that's done, see how it does. I would recommend doing this at least twice if it still continues. After that it's time to look at more expensive repairs.

Did you do the WP? Is it burning coolant (usually will get white smoke out of exhaust and it should smell sweet)? My other question, you said you're calling for heat when it heats up that much and you aren't getting any heat....right? No oil in the coolant or vice versa...right? Are you tuned? If so, they might have your timing advanced too much causing the car to heat up....just a thought. The other issue you could have if you're tuned is that it doesn't go into "fuel shutoff mode" during coasting down. Hope I've given you somewhere to start.... Not sure if you've used the coolant bleed technique or not, but thought I'd suggest it.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:06 PM

A video is worth a 1000 words.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 PM

Don't panic MillerTime, this is actually a common problem with the solstice and an easy fix. there is a TSB about it. The cooling System gets air bubbles and interferes with the coolant flow. the fix is to install a GM bleeder valve. its a very simple procedure and the valve is fairly inexpensive ($7-$28 depending on shipping charges and where you by from. I wrote up instructions and posted them here:

http://www.cherod.com/solstice/HowTos/Overheating.htm

07 Deep GXP -

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
They probably did a coolant change on it. If it wasn't done correctly, you will have to "burp" your car. Search the forum, there's thousands of posts on it. Also ddmworks.com will have information on how to burp the car. After that's done, see how it does. I would recommend doing this at least twice if it still continues. After that it's time to look at more expensive repairs.

Did you do the WP? Is it burning coolant (usually will get white smoke out of exhaust and it should smell sweet)? My other question, you said you're calling for heat when it heats up that much and you aren't getting any heat....right? No oil in the coolant or vice versa...right? Are you tuned? If so, they might have your timing advanced too much causing the car to heat up....just a thought. The other issue you could have if you're tuned is that it doesn't go into "fuel shutoff mode" during coasting down. Hope I've given you somewhere to start.... Not sure if you've used the coolant bleed technique or not, but thought I'd suggest it.

Thank you for the post. The car is 100% stock other than wheels. I did do a bleed on it during the wp replacement. I also did it like the video by raising the reservoir. No white smoke out of the back. I get cold air in the heater even when the car is 180+. Which one is the coolant burp? The one where you squeeze the large hose, then pinch the return hose, then let go of the large hose for coolant to go in instead of air? Or is it the raising the reservoir? Also no noticeable oil in the coolant vice versa. A buddy of mine did a pressure test at 15lbs and it went back down to 11lbs. But I think he did it wrong. He did it when the car was hot but turned off. Which means the car is cooling down and pressure should be going down. Shouldn't a pressure test be don't when the car is at a constant temp to see if it looses pressure. We'll be taking out the spark plugs soon to see if there is any coolant in there. It's just so stressful I just want to put the top down and cruise on this amazing Florida winter lol

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:02 AM

If you are not getting heat from the heater it sounds like a circulation problem. Blocked somewhere, air in system, perhaps in heater core?

"You can't be lost if you don't care where you are."
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Home View Post
If you are not getting heat from the heater it sounds like a circulation problem. Blocked somewhere, air in system, perhaps in heater core?

Could that also cause an engine overheat?

post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 AM

A blocked heater core will not cause the engine to overheat. It just means that you will never get warm air for yourself.

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying a 2007 GXP. Need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
A blocked heater core will not cause the engine to overheat. It just means that you will never get warm air for yourself.

Ok. So I just did another burp and the raise the reservoir method. Now the coolant level is a little below the cold line. Which means yes I'm loosing coolant slowly? I just drove it and it got up to 220 degrees again. Didn't see any leak unless it's being pooled in the metal pan below.

Last edited by Myllertime; 01-06-2017 at 09:14 AM.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 PM

The water pumps are notorious for developing a very small leak. Some people have seen it as early as 30k miles.

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Just found out the issue. Blown head gasket. Fml

post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM

"my thoughts"

your entry price seems pretty good! my concerns are whether or not your handy enough to do most of the "minor fix/repairs" yourself.

there are a "ton" of high mileage solstice's out there....so parts will be available for a long time. although some of the "neat stuff" is getting hard and almost impossible to find.

buy the car...enjoy it! your price range is such that you can flip and still come out right side up:-)

i own two (2).... both 07's. one is a 5 speed auto and other is manual. my driver has 42,000 miles and my investment has 18,000 miles. both gap's!

ton of fun to drive!
IGIFM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode