Tow Dolly A GXP Automatic, Will It Work? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Tow Dolly A GXP Automatic, Will It Work?

I am looking at buying a GXP automatic that is 1200 miles away. I'd like to tow-dolly the thing home with our Jeep Liberty. That means the drive wheels are down with the automatic transmission in neutral. The alternative is front wheels down and steering wheel locked. The fellow at our local U-Haul place says they do not recommend either way, but he doesn't know why. I wonder if anyone on the forum here has done it without consequences.

The alternative is to drive the GXP home but then I have to drag another person into it. I could fly there, but the trip involves visiting friends along the way. I could ditch every distraction, fly out and drive the car home, but the tow-dolly idea would be ideal.....as long as it works.

Is there a place to download a 2008 Solstice GXP manual? Maybe in there it says something about tow-dolly-ing.

An automobile trailer and Solstice together is much heavier than my Jeep Liberty can handle so that idea is off the table.

I seek your knowledge on this.

Ron without a Solstice, but working on it.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM

I'm no expert but there are a couple of guys who stay at the hotel when we go to the Dream Cruise who do this , one guy drives in from Wisconsin and I think the only thing he does is remove the driveshaft . His car is a pro street Ford Fairlane with an automatic and huge rear tires .Again I've seen more than a few people do this granted not with a Solstice but I got to believe if your careful and watch your speed you should be ok .
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Recreational Vehicle Towing
Notice:
Dolly towing or dinghy towing your vehicle
may cause damage because of reduced ground
clearance. Always put your vehicle on a flatbed truck.
Your vehicle was not designed to be towed with any of
its wheels on the ground. If your vehicle must be towed,
see “Towing Your Vehicle” earlier in this section.

https://my.gm.com/

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...ice_owners.pdf

1st 1K - #741
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 AM

Rob beat me to it, again! Even though the manual recommends against towing the car, if I was to do it I'd back it onto the dolly and pull it by the front tires (less chance of transmission issues). However the front will be susceptible to low objects, inclines/declines, etc. Another option is to check into having it delivered by a professional car carrier. Which by the time you add up your travel and expenses may be equal or cheaper. Figure anywhere from $600 to a $1,000.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Rob beat me to it, again! Even though the manual recommends against towing the car, if I was to do it I'd back it onto the dolly and pull it by the front tires (less chance of transmission issues). However the front will be susceptible to low objects, inclines/declines, etc. Another option is to check into having it delivered by a professional car carrier. Which by the time you add up your travel and expenses may be equal or cheaper. Figure anywhere from $600 to a $1,000.
Yes, I did consider that but it is a multi-purpose trip. I will be in the general region for other reasons, making it much simpler to buy the car in-person and either tow or drive the car. home I decided to drive the car the 1200 miles home.

Ron
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Fly there. Visit friends on way back. Look at it as an extended test drive
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLAsh View Post
Fly there. Visit friends on way back. Look at it as an extended test drive
I've got a traveling companion lined up, planning a fun trip driving down together in one vehicle, back in two vehicles home via different routes. It's going to work out great this way after-all.
rob the elder likes this.

Ron
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Garage
Forget miles and time, just look for a lot of turns on two lane remote highways. Permagrin!!!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Garage
So, I've done some thinking on this. If you tow this with the front wheels on the dolly, clearance is not the biggest issue, at least for me. My Stehl tow dolly is a lot lower than the rear fascia so if there was any thing in the road, it will hit the dolly first which is quite a rigid structure. The driveshaft has to be disconnected. The biggest issue I found is that once the car is on the dolly, the doors cannot open enough to get out. The only solution I see is to pull the car up on the dolly with a winch, while the straps will hold the car in place, the car will be free to roll away unless you winch it backwards as well. I have to bring one of my Solstices up to Connecticut next spring, so I'm hoping to have all the bugs worked out. I will update and send photos, I promise.

Wife has 07 2.4 Red, Hubby has 08 GXP Black just like the Forum Pic
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosoundz View Post
So, I've done some thinking on this. If you tow this with the front wheels on the dolly, clearance is not the biggest issue, at least for me. My Stehl tow dolly is a lot lower than the rear fascia so if there was any thing in the road, it will hit the dolly first which is quite a rigid structure. The driveshaft has to be disconnected. The biggest issue I found is that once the car is on the dolly, the doors cannot open enough to get out. The only solution I see is to pull the car up on the dolly with a winch, while the straps will hold the car in place, the car will be free to roll away unless you winch it backwards as well. I have to bring one of my Solstices up to Connecticut next spring, so I'm hoping to have all the bugs worked out. I will update and send photos, I promise.
The Solstice Owner's Manual says not to do it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towing.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	99285  
JohnWR and rob the elder like this.

1st 1K - #741
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
This has been discussed many times in the past. The conclusion has always been that there are things you can do like dropping the driveline but that it is NOT recommended.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Florida to Connecticut? No way would I do that. Aside from the fact (as Dave pointed out - again) that it is not recommended for mechanical reasons, it is just too much road damage exposure.

Have you looked into the cost of a car trailer rental? U-Haul will rent a trailer in Orlando to take to Hartford on April 1st for $348.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	99287  
sirwm likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:53 PM

Garage
I guess I'm a bit of a rebel, in my spare time I cut labels off of mattresses LOL. Again my tow dolly is much lower than the rear of the car. I've made 22 trips with other cars. My GM tech said that he saw no issue with disconnecting the driveshaft, I have already crafted a bracket to hold it during transport. Someone has to be first.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm a bit of a rebel, in my spare time I cut labels off of mattresses LOL. Again my tow dolly is much lower than the rear of the car. I've made 22 trips with other cars. My GM tech said that he saw no issue with disconnecting the driveshaft, I have already crafted a bracket to hold it during transport. Someone has to be first.
Unless you are a retailer, cutting tags off of mattresses isn't exactly living on the edge. I would be far more worried about body damage than the driveline, but its not my car.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:30 AM

Garage
Body damage is an issue with any car on a tow dolly, and I've learned you cannot make sharp turns, and its very difficult to backup. As I stated I've made 22 round trips (approx 53k miles) over these many years, with both front wheel and rear wheel drives and never had a problem with the vehicle in tow. In any event, it will be a Youtube video.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode