Fiat Will Not Build A Successor To The 124 Spider - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Fiat Will Not Build A Successor To The 124 Spider

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/fi...and-thats-sad/

Fiat won’t replace the Mazda MX-5-based 124 Spider when its life cycle ends, as it is looking to re-invent its line-up.

Earlier this week, chief executive Oliver François revealed that the company will focus much of its energy in the future to expand its city car business and growing the 500 family. The executive went on to state that Fiat won’t build any big cars, premium cars, or sporty cars, seemingly ruling out the possibility of a successor to the 124 Spider.

During a recent interview with Autocar, François added that, while the 124 Spider is profitable, it isn’t particularly important for the future of the Italian car manufacturer.

“The 124 market is a niche one. It is profitable business for us – but only because of the joint venture,” he said. “It was an opportunity and we took it. It makes money and it adds a certain cool factor but I accept that such a car may not be key to the future of the brand. It is not what I’d call a pure, absolute Fiat, but for now, it remains an interesting opportunity.”

Earlier this year, Fiat’s UK branch announced that it would stop selling both the Fiat 124 Spider and the Abarth 124 Spider claiming it wasn’t making any money with the two sports cars.

Sales of the 124 Spider have never been particularly strong; in 2017, only 7,800 units were sold across all of Europe. We suspect that some buyers have been put off by the fact that the 124 Spider is more expensive than the MX-5 despite essentially being the same car but with small design changes and a different engine.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:23 AM

Design changes might be small, but exterior design js hugely different
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:19 PM

Well thank God.... I could never understand why they would work with Mazda on this and create this car. And the Fiat version was riddled with issues. Because they used the Fiat radio, the radio had tons of electrical issues. All Fiat/Alfas had radio/electrical issues. Not too mention the top. And then there was the owners of these cars that thought they were Ferraris. Everyone of them had to be "moved inside at night" in case it rained...and most were leases!! LOL....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:31 PM

If they'd only put the FCA 2.0 turbo out of the Guilia into this car, rather than the crap anemic 1.4t... It would've had the power to trounce most things on the road, and looks that compare with the Solstice. Sigh.

Probably still crappy reliability from the engine and electronics, but still, might well have been worth it!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
If they'd only put the FCA 2.0 turbo out of the Guilia into this car, rather than the crap anemic 1.4t... It would've had the power to trounce most things on the road, and looks that compare with the Solstice. Sigh.

Probably still crappy reliability from the engine and electronics, but still, might well have been worth it!
I agree Soup! But, I don't know if you're a "bigger guy"...I'm 5'10" and 265. I wear a 54" regular sport coat...so I'm bigger (broader...okay, I'm bigger around the waist too ) then most, and getting into the 124, they had to grease me down with Crisco and use a pry bar to get me out!!! I literaly spilled into the passenger side of the 124. The shifter was uncomfortable to use. My Solstice, I'm okay in, no issue like that.... This and the Miata are made for the more smaller male....40R sport coat, 5'8", 32" waist, 175lbs....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
The Fiat, Miata and Corvette were on my short list... but at 6'1" 250, the Solstice was the best fit. And with the money that I saved, I bought my wife a Cadillac CT6 - so now we both have smiles!

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode