4Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By Sly Bob
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By Sly Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Frozen car battery

The safety information of my CTEK5.0 battery maintainer states: .... ... Never charge a frozen or damaged battery ... :..

Never even realized a battery car freeze.

At what temperature does a battery freeze ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 AM

It depends on its state of charge, and is one compelling reason to use a battery maintainer in the winter.

A fully charged battery is good to -76F / -60C, but a fully discharged battery will freeze at 32F / 0C, just like water.
I haven't seen data, but freeze temperature for a partially charged battery is probably roughly linear between those two points.

When a battery freezes it usually ends up with a cracked case, leaving a pool of acid underneath it.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 AM

At -60C I don't think you have to worry about a battery freezing. THat's actually the reason I don't take my battery out of the car during winter storage. In Canada it gets damn cold at times but never even close to -60.
Sting Ya likes this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 AM

I would imagine that this could happen with a normal (wet cell ) battery but I wonder what the chances are with an AGM (glass mat) such as an Optima ?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:12 AM

This from Optima:
Quote:
OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® batteries are protected from freezing down to -30°F when fully-charged to about 13.0-13.2 volts and our REDTOP® batteries are protected from freezing down to -50°F when fully-charged to about 12.6-12.8 volts. However, if those batteries are not fully-charged, they can freeze at warmer temperatures.
While a fully charged wet cell battery is good to -76F, if it is powering the car's electronics it is continually discharging and according to GM will be substantially discharged (ie: May not be able to start the engine) after 3 months . At that point it will have much less protection from low temperature.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:50 AM

Good point John that's why I can't emphasize enough to those who store your cars to keep some type of a battery maintainer on them .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
It depends on its state of charge, and is one compelling reason to use a battery maintainer in the winter

When a battery freezes it usually ends up with a cracked case, leaving a pool of acid underneath it.
Yep that what happens. My Dad had a VW in the 60's probly was a 6 volt was having battery problems. Got a new battery guess it wasnt any good though. Was around 20 that night in the morning cranked it one time that was it. Liquid underneath the battery but white ice underneath the caps. Not the best thing to have under the rear seat.

They have battery blankets and heaters nowadays for more options. Have a heater on my truck checked it at -18 was 60 f on the top of the battery. I only plug it in at night when I know I'm going in the morning or cold snap
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
Good point John that's why I can't emphasize enough to those who store your cars to keep some type of a battery maintainer on them .
Or just disconnect it for the 6 months the car is put away.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Born April 30, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
Certainly a valid option, although I prefer a maintainer if power is available for one.

John
Lexington, KY
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
No, no and NO. Disconnecting the battery will accomplish very little. Disconnected or not, a battery has INTERNAL LEAKAGE which will cause the battery to discharge - and thus be prone to freezing in cold weather. Either a battery maintainer or removing and storing the battery in a warm place are the only correct answers.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:40 PM

I have disconnected the battery for 6 months at a time since I got the car 10 years ago. I hook the battery up 6 months later and the car fires right up, always has.
You take your battery out or use a tender but I haven't drank the Koolaid, simply disconnecting it works just fine.
Look, I store my car with about 30 others in a facility here in Canada and they haven't drank the Koolaid either. The morning in May when the cars come out of storage has everyone hook up their batteries and drive away.
ECOBOOSTEC likes this.

Born April 30, 2008

Last edited by Sly Bob; 01-02-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I have disconnected the battery for 6 months at a time since I got the car 10 years ago. I hook the battery up 6 months later and the car fires right up, always has.
You take your battery out or use a tender but I haven't drank the Koolaid, simply disconnecting it works just fine.
Look, I store my car with about 30 others in a facility here in Canada and they haven't drank the Koolaid either. The morning in May when the cars come out of storage has everyone hook up their batteries and drive away.
Even though your mileage may vary, "Koolaid" has nothing to do with the laws of physics. A lead-acid battery, disconnected or not, DOES have internal leakage which, sooner or later, WILL discharge the battery.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 AM

I have always disconnected the battery for winter storage as well. Six months later it has always fired right up. A friend who parks his car in the same building always keeps his connected with a trickle charger (not a battery tender) hooked up. Several times he has had starting issues. This is for my Firebird, I keep a battery tender on my Solstice because of the issues that can occur with the electronics if that battery is disconnected.

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode