Genuine Carbon Fibre Roll Cage - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By phil1734

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Genuine Carbon Fibre Roll Cage

I was browsing the web and wondered if anyone made carbon fiber (fibre) roll cages and was surprised to see someone does. Oakley Design stated they developing one for a 997 GT3 (but most online articles mention the 997 GT2). Unfortunately Oakley didn't provide pictures of it on their site.

OakleyDesign.eu

Carbon Fibre Roll Cage - Anti Splinter Protected 121 118 False Porsche 997 GT3 - Roll Cage Innovation; the creation of something in the mind; the introduction of a new device, method or process resulting from study and experimentation. Oakley Designs Carbon Fibre Roll Cage is testament to this. The first carbon fibre roll cage in the world.[CUT]

Whilst carbon fibre roll hoops have been employed in F1, A1 GP and GP2 etc. this is the first time we have seen a complete roll cage made from carbon fibre. -Patented anti splinter technology - ensures it won't shatter/splinter as per conventional carbon fibre -FIA Approval (under development/test with FIA for 2009) -TUV Approved -75% lighter than steel cages and 60% lighter than a T45 cage
-Aerospace FEA software is used to analyse every layer of the structure, providing a guaranteed level of strength and quality throughout the product -TUV Approval -Easy instillation

-Weld or bolt in mounting fixtures -The bonding technology we employ enables single beams to be replaced in the event of damage in an accident -High Gloss Finish -Different coloured Carbon weaves available -Available in rear section only or complete motorsport cage Laser beam technology is used to give cure CFRP the final shape before final assembly.

This eliminates wear and tear of tooling, maintaining accuracy and produces no carcinogenic dust which is evident through milling producing a high quality product. -Patented anti splinter technology -75% lighter than steel cages and 60% lighter than a T45 cage -Rear or Full Motorsport Cage with Weld or Bolt in mounting fixtures -TUV Approved. FIA Approval (under development/test with FIA for 2009) Out of stock 0 0

302/8308482529.jpg 0.00 False 0.00 True True True oakley-design-carbon-fibre-roll-cage False Innovation; the creation of something in the mind; the introduction of a new device, method or process resulting from study and experimentation.Oakley Designs Carbon Fibre Roll Cage is testament to this. The first carbon fibre roll cage in... 204
Enquire about this product

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Carbon fiber isn't permitted by any sanctioning body I'm aware of. Despite what the Oakley site claims, the Indycar/F1/Formula E etc. roll hoops are steel or titanium with a carbon skin over top for looks and aerodynamics, and most of the crash structure around the drivers are some sort of metallic bulkhead structure bonded into the surrounding carbon tub. This statement alone tells me that Oakley probably doesn't know as much as they want you to think they know.

The reason for all that despite the greatness of modern composites is the secondary impact test that the FIA requires. You can prevent carbon from splintering all you want but once it's cracked it has very little structural value. So crash into a wall once and you'd be fine. Crash into a wall, slide back on track and get hit again by another car and you're in trouble.
ChopTop likes this.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

It took me awhile to find an article where someone built an actual carbon fiber roll cage. Most of the searches returned carbon fiber rollbars "covers". Which I didn't know was a product. Plus I wouldn't think racers would want to add weight even if the weight was negligible because it's made out of carbon fiber?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 PM

I've never seen a cover used other than a shaped fairing on open cockpit cars.

But I'm also not surprised they exist. Few actual racers will probably ever use them (you need to be able to see your cage for crack inspections,) but the wannabes will buy things like that in bulk for the 2 point roll bar they installed in thier Civic or 3-Series.

And truth be told - if weight mattered that much more then cosmetics, nobody would paint their cars!

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
Pretty sure everything in the Formula 1 cockpit is carbon fiber. Roll bar, body cage. I learned about carbon fiber when my son was 8 years old, now 50. CTI was making carbon fiber knee braces, the first ones for offensive linemen in the NFL and high ranked college football teams. They were cutting edge in the day. My son was sponsored by them, he raced motocross. He hurt his knee and they made a custom braces for him to compete in World Championships. It helped some, but the injury was to recent. But he wore them for his whole racing career. Pretty amazing stuff, and if you want to, you can do about anything with it. He had a Honda CR 80 in 1980 that had a carbon fiber fuel tank, sub frame, handle bars, triple trees. It was an amazing thing to see. Full factory Honda ride at 10 years old. The factory professional guys in the 125/250/500CC class were in total envy. Unfortunately I don't think I have a picture of it damn it..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:13 AM

Nope. F1 Halo is titanium.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 PM

The best way to meaningfully reduce your racecarís weight is to go on an effective diet. I am not joking. When I raced a formula ford, I lost 50 pounds in the off season. I was remarkably faster with 50 lbs. less.It really works, and doesnít cost a fortune. Really!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Carbon fiber is great. Worked as a CF tech for many years. I even braided it from unitape to make panels. While it is great it is not magic and it has limitations. Like generally speaking, if you cut it- like for a hole that allows a bolt to pass through- you weaken it.

A roll cage out of CF? That would need to be some large co-cured structures, unless the CF goes into a trunion or similar and is bonded, not bolted.

I don't see it being practical for a roll cage, and as far as weight savings goes, my experience tells me that this is similar to the Corvette myth- that since fiberglass is light and the Vette body is made of fiberglass, the Corvette is a light car. With CF, don't forget that there would be almost certainly supporting structure that weighs something and how do you inspect it? Every joint is suspect, everything that touches it might cause wear due to vibration.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode