2.4 Build Parts NEEDED ASAP - Supporting Vendors? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robotech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

2.4 Build Parts NEEDED ASAP - Supporting Vendors?

So, I blew a headgasket on my WERKS Turbo 2.4 Solstice lol. Soooo that just means time to build her up. Well.... Budget build....

I need these parts, so looking at seeing if one of the vendors would like to help me out!!

I know all these links are from WERKS but I'm open to other ideas also.

ARP LE5 Head Stud Kit, Performance Autowerks

WERKSracing LE5/LE9 Single Valve Springs, Performance Autowerks

Ecotec Front Cover Gasket 24435052, Performance Autowerks

WERKS Racing 2.4L Street/Race MLS Head Gasket Kit, Performance Autowerks

NGK Sol/SKY 2.4L Turbo Spark Plugs (set of 4), Performance Autowerks

https://agpturbo.com/precision-5431e-mfs/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:07 PM

Why aren't you going with one of the known, tried and true turbos from the vendors? Their turbos have been tested and work best reducing lag and giving the best power for that motor possible.

If I know what numbers mean on turbos, the one you have picked out is going to be horribly laggy and push very little air. Furthermore it's not twinscroll which drastically reduces lag. While this is my $0.02 and I know very little about different turbos other then what our vendors offer, I'm not quite sure you want the one you posted.

You also might want to check out zzperformance.....But I would stick with ddmworks or PAW first.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 01-31-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Headgasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian85 View Post
So, I blew a headgasket on my WERKS Turbo 2.4 Solstice lol. Soooo that just means time to build her up. Well.... Budget build....

I need these parts, so looking at seeing if one of the vendors would like to help me out!!

I know all these links are from WERKS but I'm open to other ideas also.

ARP LE5 Head Stud Kit, Performance Autowerks

WERKSracing LE5/LE9 Single Valve Springs, Performance Autowerks

Ecotec Front Cover Gasket 24435052, Performance Autowerks

WERKS Racing 2.4L Street/Race MLS Head Gasket Kit, Performance Autowerks

NGK Sol/SKY 2.4L Turbo Spark Plugs (set of 4), Performance Autowerks

https://agpturbo.com/precision-5431e-mfs/
FYI performance autowerks head gasket for $150 is nothing more than the factory head gasket with a spray on coating... do not buy it for that price... i built 2LNF's and the second time there was an imperfection on the gasket, i sanded the area where the part number would be on a gm gasket, and guess what? there was a gm part number... when i confronted Dave, he didn't deny it... So buy the factory gasket and save your money. It's a multi layer steel and should be good to 30psi....
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Wtf that's not cool!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2006 Solstice - WERKS Turbo Kit -
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:21 PM

yup. I had spent $300 with Dave instead of $96 because of his misleading method of sales...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Well. Dave just sent me this:

Hey Brian,

We can beat any price out there just so you know. Shoot me over you prices yo uare seeing and I am sure we could do better. Also, as far as the head gasket goes, that is for a completely different head gasket than the LE5 head gasket. The LE5 head gasket is made by Cometic and does not come with a coating on it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 AM

ZZP has an Ecotec catalog

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 PM

I do not like dealing with ZZP. Very long reason as to why but I use to deal with them in the Grand Prix world way back when and would go with DDM, Werks, Hahn or RPM before ZZP.

The gaskets and stuff OEM are good to go other than the head gasket. That one you COULD go with something special but the OEM unit...especially with the ARP studs...should be good.

What I wonder is though what blew the head gasket? I blew one out in my Grand Prix because the car developed a leak after seeing 9 degrees of KR (long story) and over pressurized the cylinder. (The engine was built out and under the stock parts never had an issue but then never saw that kind of pressure.) What kind of boost are you running on the Werks turbo? Are you still stock 10.5:1 (I think that's our stock LE5 ratio) compression?

Second thing I wonder is what's your goal? What's your desired end result of these modifications?

One more question I have...and this is as much for me as for you...LOL Does anyone make LE5 Turbo cams? I have seen Comp Cams have some NA LE5 cams but no idea how these work with a turbo motor nor have I seen turbo specific cams for this engine.

07 Saturn Sky 2.4
Midnight Blue
MagnaFlow dual outlet exhaust
GMPP CAI

Info above for both my Skys. One owned from 06-07, one from 14 to present
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
...One more question I have...and this is as much for me as for you...LOL Does anyone make LE5 Turbo cams? I have seen Comp Cams have some NA LE5 cams but no idea how these work with a turbo motor nor have I seen turbo specific cams for this engine.
Robo, I'm with you. I have looked high & low trying to find a cam for the 2.4, but everybody seems to be manufacturing for the 2.0. Spoke with Dr Dave & he said that you would have to find somebody to reman our stock cam. Didn't feel like messing with that.

Brian85 - Budget build + 2.4 + Forced Induction = Oooooops, it blew again. Save your pennies to beef up the bottom end. That's the 2.4's weak spot as far as boost goes. DDM has forged pistons & rods for the 2.4.

It's sticky!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I want to see how far I can take the stock bottom end. I own a repair / performance shop and have done a lot of boosted builds. I have a 750hp SRT8 Magnum, 600AWHP Audi S4. I came across this car and it really got me interested lol.

I did a compression test and Cyl. 2 & 3 have no compression where 1 & 4 have 165, so that is a sign of a blown headgasket on the compression side between the two cyl. I was doing a WOT pull and the boost spiked ( unkown at this time as to why ) up to 33 PSI. I was watching my A/F ratio and it was still pretty rich lol but I backed out right away so I don't think I did any damage to the bottom end.

My goal is to have a very fun daily summer car to build up for my shop as advertising in this platform.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 AM

FWIW, early 2.4s used forged rods, later ones switched over to powdered metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Here are the different part numbers for the rods:

2006-2007: 12596088 A 2.4-B/P (LE5), (1ST DES) ROD, CONN (FORGED STEEL W/ROUNDED EDGES ON CAP AND MFG TRIM MARK AROUND OUTER PERIMETER) (FOR 2ND DES SEE 12611360)

2008+ 12598216 A 2.4-B/P (LE5), (2ND DES) ROD, CONN (POWDER METAL W/SMOOTH SURFACE CAP AND SINGLE RIDGE ACROSS CAP, W/O MFG TRIM MARK AROUND OUTER PERIMETER) (FOR 1ST DES SEE 12596088)

Any one running over 300hp on the later rods is playing with fire! (note this is only for the LE5)

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck View Post
Robo, I'm with you. I have looked high & low trying to find a cam for the 2.4, but everybody seems to be manufacturing for the 2.0. Spoke with Dr Dave & he said that you would have to find somebody to reman our stock cam. Didn't feel like messing with that.
I think Comp Cams will do this but never priced it out. May be something to consider IF I go head work.

Quote:
I want to see how far I can take the stock bottom end. I own a repair / performance shop and have done a lot of boosted builds. I have a 750hp SRT8 Magnum, 600AWHP Audi S4. I came across this car and it really got me interested lol.

I did a compression test and Cyl. 2 & 3 have no compression where 1 & 4 have 165, so that is a sign of a blown headgasket on the compression side between the two cyl. I was doing a WOT pull and the boost spiked ( unkown at this time as to why ) up to 33 PSI. I was watching my A/F ratio and it was still pretty rich lol but I backed out right away so I don't think I did any damage to the bottom end.

My goal is to have a very fun daily summer car to build up for my shop as advertising in this platform.
This is the information I love to see. Data like this is invaluable! Great to see your experience and the diagnosis for the cause of the popped head gasket. Now to figure out what caused the boost spike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
FWIW, early 2.4s used forged rods, later ones switched over to powdered metal.
By early, from what I've seen, it is 2006-7 LE5s. So 2006-7 Pontiac Solstices and 2007 Saturn Skys in the Kappa line.
Brian85 likes this.

07 Saturn Sky 2.4
Midnight Blue
MagnaFlow dual outlet exhaust
GMPP CAI

Info above for both my Skys. One owned from 06-07, one from 14 to present

Last edited by Robotech; 02-02-2017 at 11:32 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think Comp Cams will do this but never priced it out. May be something to consider IF I go head work.

This is the information I love to see. Data like this is invaluable! Great to see your experience and the diagnosis for the cause of the popped head gasket. Now to figure out what caused the boost spike!

By early, from what I've seen, it is 2006-7 LE5s. So 2006-7 Pontiac Solstices and 2007 Saturn Skys in the Kappa line.
That info about the rods is amazing! I'm very happy to hear that.

Well, come to find out the previous owner put on a cheap eBay China turbo. Not sure why? I'm going to be putting a new turbo on it now anyways so cleaning the oil feedlines etc. My guess is the cheap turbo waistgate maybe got stuck or something ?

2006 Solstice - WERKS Turbo Kit -
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to werks
Quote:
That info about the rods is amazing! I'm very happy to hear that.

Well, come to find out the previous owner put on a cheap eBay China turbo. Not sure why? I'm going to be putting a new turbo on it now anyways so cleaning the oil feedlines etc. My guess is the cheap turbo waistgate maybe got stuck or something ?

It very could have, those things are junk...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I do not like dealing with ZZP.
You have every right to avoid them and share your opinion of them if you had a bad dealing. I am a strong believer in boycotting companies who have taken advantage of me. I have had good luck with ZZP, I experienced some small imperfections (wrong exhaust clamp size, no screw for custom FMIC temp sensor bung). That stuff is not a big deal and I envision ZZP is a small company without a expensive inventory control system and full-time quality management...I would be much harder on a 50 million dollar company than I would with a 1 million dollar company.

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode