Gaylord Craft Beer and Tap Trail

STAY TUNED!

And a Sneak Preview..........
NASSAM # 17
June 2022
Beckley, WV in the Appalachian Mountains

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't think there was a discussion. Certainly not a public one.

I find it amusing that three years ago no one was interested in hosting the next event, and it was essentially pronounced "dead". Now we have people co-opting dates three years out.

#4 ·
I really have no interest in attending these meets despite this one being so close, but can't think of a better location for one.

It wasn't long ago that the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore was voted as the most beautiful place in America, beating out places like Cape Cod, Grand Teton, and Aspen...

#6 · (Edited)
This great!!!!! I was going to go to Mackinac Island this weekend but one of my dogs got sick. Therefore had to cancel. My dog is feeling better and now have this to look forward to. This close enough that I would bring both Sols. Me in the Coupe and wife in the mean machine.

Reactions: sirwm
#10 ·
Again, I am glad that we have a group that is volunteering, but I have been getting a lot of comments to which I agree that if in fact the "national" is held in the east three years running then its no longer a national. Its the east coast regional.

People who cant drive a week to get there will find alternatives I am sure.

#12 ·
Correct. I was referring to the WV after Michigan

I'm nit the decision authority obviously just sharing thoughts.

In the past we discussed and arrived at a level of consensus. I was surprised, and also happy to see people volunteering. That is an improvement over recent experience where finding a host was a challenge. I have not been to Michigan since I visited the tank arsenal many years ago. Sounds like a good choice.

#18 ·
I for one would have to agree that if you want one nearby, plan it. I've never been to one as we do more G8 and all Pontiac events with my car and my wife isn't into it as much as I am. I plan on retiring the end of next year and looks like Michigan will likely be our first. I've been to most of the places listed for the Michigan event and it definitely will be a wonderful location. Looking forward to it. Also, last time I checked Michigan was considered Midwest US.

#20 ·
Being an active member of the MKC group, I know there are a lot of great roads and sights in upper MI. Jim has taken on this challenge and organized a location and cruise routes. Unfortunately the location is still 300 miles from the active members of our club. We have over 200 members in our club but only about 25, that are active and mostly just participants. We will get volunteers and as required will put in time and expenses required to make Michigan a successful event. The majority of our club cruises are done in south east Michigan where almost all out members reside. Our south east roads are no where near the quality needed for a national meet. Northern MI roads are great and scenic. Looking forward to seeing you all there. For those questioning WV and the MKC club suggesting it. Last years, since Oregon was so far the Mkc group did a week long cruise in WV. We ended up with30 Kappas. The routes are all set, great cruising roads, and the hotel said they could Accomadate. Time will tell if this progresses.

#23 ·
Let's start talking about Reno... It's a city that hosts a number of car and motorcycle events every year and is centered north/south. Being on I80, it would be easy to reach from the east. The town has plenty of mostly empty hotel rooms - Lake Tahoe and Virginia City would make for some nice runs. I'd like to hear from our friends in the Pacific Northwest, Denver, Vegas, Phoenix and California.

Attachments

Reactions: easyryderca
#25 ·
Let's start talking about Reno... It's a city that hosts a number of car and motorcycle events every year and is centered north/south. Being on I80, it would be easy to reach from the east. The town has plenty of mostly empty hotel rooms - Lake Tahoe and Virginia City would make for some nice runs. I'd like to hear from our friends in the Pacific Northwest, Denver, Vegas, Phoenix and California.[/QUOTE

I'm going to make a suggestion that discussions for future nationals (post 2020 and 2021) be moved to the existing thread... https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f33/national-meet-discussions-158415/. And I've made the same request over on our 2020 thread. Maybe we can keep the 2020 and 2021 threads specific to those events. Thanks!

#26 ·
mysolst - Will do

#28 ·
Jim - two suggestions - edit the WV 2022 comment out since, as you know, I’m taking 2022 to CA. Also, consider getting at least a placeholder 2021 event page up on Facebook. ?. Looking forward to MI and I’ll see you at the Dells in September!

Reactions: rob the elder
#31 ·
the guys leading for 2021 and California tend to hang out on FB more than here, I have seen no action on FB either.

#32 ·
Me as two. I looked there and found nothing. So I looked here and found nothing. Maybe we need to announce South Dakota is rescheduled for 21 and watch them come alive. :)

#34 ·
Rob: Normally the next years information is announced at a current year nassam. That would have been a few weeks yet. Everything is set for 2021 and I’m sure you will get plenty of information. It is still over a year away!

#37 ·
Thanks
Since this year's event is cancelled I anticipated that we would start hearing about next year. When I saw nothing and heard that some events were being cancelled or delayed it naturally raised the question on status. Thanks for the response.

#35 ·
Curious what kind of updates y'all are looking for 54 weeks out from an event.

Not a lot of small, local businesses open the past 3 months to coordinate with for special promotions and the like.

#38 ·
Having hosted two events and been very involved in several - and in the face of the lockdown - it would seem that beginning a conversation about the next event would be beneficial and appreciated by many who are dissappointed about missing NASSAM this year

If your general tone is representative of the group then I have to say it is not motivating me to get excited about attending. "You are stupid for asking" is not what I would have anticipated from the group.

A successful event is part coordination and management and part sales. Treating your customers as idiots for asking a question is not a great way to attract participation.

As a matter of curiosity, what is your role in this event Phil?

#39 ·
I agree that since this year's even has been cancelled, it makes sense to immediately begin discussion of next year's event.

Reactions: JohnWR
#41 ·
I have no role in the event and highly doubt I will attend in any fashion as the mentality present at such "cars and coffee" events bores me to great extent.

However, I do know a number of people (some of who I loosely consider friends) who are working hard on the event - some even very hard - and trying to call them out for not trying hard enough or not running things to your liking accomplishes nothing, particularly when the event is not only over a year (almost 54 weeks by my count) away, but taking place in a state that is still working through strict Covid19 precautions after being hit extremely hard by the virus (our mortality rate is near 10%, roughly double the national average.) And while the northern Michigan area NASSAM is taking place in has recently had stay at home orders rescinded, most businesses are still choosing not to open because they know they will be overwhelmed by us southern tourists and cannot keep employees and locals safe. Detroit and Grand Rapids where many organizers live does not come out of lock-down until June 8th.

If you have a particular concern such as what hotel they are thinking of using, or if dates are still correct, then by all means ask such a question. But don't throw a temper tantrum because they aren't keeping you entertained with pre-event banter and fantasy ride-alongs.

#42 ·
The accommodations are set at Shanty Creek. Runs are set and a couple of us are going up, in two weeks, to run them and make sure all is set. Everything has been slowed by the lockdown here in MI. Yesterday the governor lifted the stay home order. Next week restaurants will be open again, at 50%. We had a cruise last Sunday and Jim passed out,to the team, 65 page booklets. Should be seeing more published soon. We need to make sure restaurants open after this crazy year. Hang in there everyone.

Reactions: sirwm
#43 ·
A group of us went up to Shanty Creek , Bellaire this week to meet with resort persons and check out the proposed cruises including bio break locations and lunch restaurants. So I ate too much this week!!! I ran three different routes and they were fine scenic interesting routes. We will have to go up a few more times before next June’s event to be sure routes are still adequate. Meeting with resort personnel was very good and they are working well with us. Start planning your trip to the upper part of our mitten for 2021!

#44 ·
is there any more information on when the web site for this event will be up? thanks for any information

#45 ·
Site was scheduled to be up the end of July. Mark is working hard to get everything set on the site. Should be any day now. We are all anxious to get it out but want everything correct and working properly. Thanks for your patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.