Announcing nassam #16 michigan 2021 - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I don't think there was a discussion. Certainly not a public one.

I find it amusing that three years ago no one was interested in hosting the next event, and it was essentially pronounced "dead". Now we have people co-opting dates three years out.
Discussions rarely decide a location because it seems that so many want the event "in their back yard", yet those who complain as to why cant it be _______(enter where they want it) are unwilling to do the planning.
This has been an ongoing problem since the first national meet in 2006 in Kansas City (almost the middle of the US).
As the originator of the first 2 national meets, I am glad to see many willing to step up to the challenge of organizing an event that takes several people many, many hours of thier own time and money to get it done.

There are always going to be those who want it held close to them, just as there will always be those who don't want to help organize or not even come.

Having a public discussion about location will never make the decision.....

Just my 2 cents

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
.......Having a public discussion about location will never make the decision.....

Just my 2 cents
It may not make the decision, but it does contribute to the process.

As of the 2010 meet in Canton, no one had suggested a location for 2011. I offered Lexington after which a group stepped forward to organize Austin.
Up until a couple of months before the 2016 meet in the Ozarks no one had suggested a location for 2017. We started a discussion between Lexington and Colorado that resulted in 2017 being in Lexington.

I guess I was just a lot more comfortable in the days when a group or two would suggest a location two or so years out, and there may or may not have been a discussion about which location was better. maybe there was only one offer, but it was an offer and not a proclamation.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 PM

Garage
I for one would have to agree that if you want one nearby, plan it. I've never been to one as we do more G8 and all Pontiac events with my car and my wife isn't into it as much as I am. I plan on retiring the end of next year and looks like Michigan will likely be our first. I've been to most of the places listed for the Michigan event and it definitely will be a wonderful location. Looking forward to it. Also, last time I checked Michigan was considered Midwest US.

__________________________________________________ ________
Wife's car: 2007 GXP Manual Envious/Tan top - Purchased 4/29/17
My Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT Pacific Slate Metallic - Premium
NA, Cammed, top end build on stock bottom end
12.27 @ 114.6 with DA of 561 and 1.92 60 ft.
77 LeMans Can Am (Sold after 25 years)
2001 WS6 Trans Am M6 (Traded for G8)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I like Michigan too. We have UP people in the club and they love to visit.
easyryderca likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Being an active member of the MKC group, I know there are a lot of great roads and sights in upper MI. Jim has taken on this challenge and organized a location and cruise routes. Unfortunately the location is still 300 miles from the active members of our club. We have over 200 members in our club but only about 25, that are active and mostly just participants. We will get volunteers and as required will put in time and expenses required to make Michigan a successful event. The majority of our club cruises are done in south east Michigan where almost all out members reside. Our south east roads are no where near the quality needed for a national meet. Northern MI roads are great and scenic. Looking forward to seeing you all there. For those questioning WV and the MKC club suggesting it. Last years, since Oregon was so far the Mkc group did a week long cruise in WV. We ended up with30 Kappas. The routes are all set, great cruising roads, and the hotel said they could Accomadate. Time will tell if this progresses.

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Willing to be a volunteer Mike if needed. Thanks to all for putting in the effort & time in hosting the nationals.
WickedMike likes this.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
...in fact the "national" is held in the east three years running then its no longer a national. Its the east coast regional.
I for one would be happy to come back to CO in a few years. And what about a Winter Solstice meeting in the SW? TX hill country has awesome roads. So TX, NM, AZ or So CA have good weather on Dec 21.
rob the elder and YO MUDA like this.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Garage
Let's start talking about Reno... It's a city that hosts a number of car and motorcycle events every year and is centered north/south. Being on I80, it would be easy to reach from the east. The town has plenty of mostly empty hotel rooms - Lake Tahoe and Virginia City would make for some nice runs. I'd like to hear from our friends in the Pacific Northwest, Denver, Vegas, Phoenix and California.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reno.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	97051  
easyryderca likes this.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebot39 View Post
I for one would be happy to come back to CO in a few years. And what about a Winter Solstice meeting in the SW? TX hill country has awesome roads. So TX, NM, AZ or So CA have good weather on Dec 21.
You would get very few from the northern states as their cars sleep during the winter months. You have to remember, the average age of owners of these cars is about 70 and many in the north, once their car is asleep, won't wake it up, let alone take a chance on driving it from a snowy climate and salted roads. Personally I think there should be 1 national held every 3-5 years in the heartland (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri) and during the summer months. And then if the 4 regions want to put something together on a yearly basis, they should. I would have driven to SD next year, but I was just there in 2018, and it's way too far to drive in a 2 seat, uncomfortable roadster. Too much can happen and can be too expensive to fix on the way there.
Radio Doc likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 06-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Greatgab;2186105]Let's start talking about Reno... It's a city that hosts a number of car and motorcycle events every year and is centered north/south. Being on I80, it would be easy to reach from the east. The town has plenty of mostly empty hotel rooms - Lake Tahoe and Virginia City would make for some nice runs. I'd like to hear from our friends in the Pacific Northwest, Denver, Vegas, Phoenix and California.[/QUOTE

I'm going to make a suggestion that discussions for future nationals (post 2020 and 2021) be moved to the existing thread... https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ssions-158415/. And I've made the same request over on our 2020 thread. Maybe we can keep the 2020 and 2021 threads specific to those events. Thanks!
rob the elder likes this.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
mysolst - Will do

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
You would get very few from the northern states as their cars sleep during the winter months. You have to remember, the average age of owners of these cars is about 70 and many in the north, once their car is asleep, won't wake it up, let alone take a chance on driving it from a snowy climate and salted roads. Personally I think there should be 1 national held every 3-5 years in the heartland (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri) and during the summer months. And then if the 4 regions want to put something together on a yearly basis, they should. I would have driven to SD next year, but I was just there in 2018, and it's way too far to drive in a 2 seat, uncomfortable roadster. Too much can happen and can be too expensive to fix on the way there.
Having just requested that the future nationals be discussed on the existing thread kinked below...I'll risk addressing this quote above since it is here. I guess I'm not sure what is going on in the rest of the country, but the clubs in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California have events all the time including yearly "regionals" or at least periodic gatherings for weekend stuff. Have other groups given up on that? Also, my wife and I are having a great time going to nationals every year. I'd sure hate NOT to have an event on a yearly basis. Sorry, all future comments here. https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ssions-158415/
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked563 View Post
ANNOUNCING!

NASSAM # 16
June 14-19, 2021
Shanty Creek Resort
Bellaire, Michigan
35 Miles Northeast of Traverse City

Six Days of Guided Runs
Independent Touring
Nightly Bonfires
Meet & Greet
Ice Cream Social
Banquet
And Much More!

Cherry Capital of the World
Mackinack Island
Soo Locks
Whitefish Point
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
Lighthouses
Tunnel of Trees
Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail
Sleeping Bear Dunes
Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
Lake Michigan Coastal Tour
Mackinack Bridge
Leg's Inn
Good Hart, MI
Fishtown
Oswald Bear Ranch
Tahquamenon Falls
Gaylord Craft Beer and Tap Trail

STAY TUNED!

And a Sneak Preview..........
NASSAM # 17
June 2022
Beckley, WV in the Appalachian Mountains
Jim - two suggestions - edit the WV 2022 comment out since, as you know, I’m taking 2022 to CA. Also, consider getting at least a placeholder 2021 event page up on Facebook. 👍. Looking forward to MI and I’ll see you at the Dells in September!
rob the elder likes this.

Sooner Magic - 2007 Sky Redline, red / black
GMPP tune; Westers tune; RPI intercooler, high flow cat downpipe, GT-S exhaust; DDM ProBeam and Backbone
"OU Sooner Magic" windrestrictor; Opel antenna

Facebook
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Newby here and super glad to see Michigan in 2021! Count me in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in