Nassam 2019 - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Eh! Canada! Just food for thought .. what a bout Niagara Falls, Canada / Buffalo, NY option .. Can you imagine 100 cars hit the boarder for a quick trip along the Niagara River?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for locations are nice, but are fairly worthless unless they come from someone actually interested in organizing the event there.
MomsSol likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 02:27 PM

Garage
Maybe if we poke sticks at the members from California, Nevada and Oregon long enough, one of them will step forward and volunteer!

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
Hiawassee, Georgia...nice little town and access to mountain driving and sights to see in surrounding towns. Near Brasstown Bald, highest point in Georgia. On Lake chatuge.

Street Rodders, motorcycle groups, etc use this location frequently. I hope to attend an MG GOF event in Dillard, about 40 miles from Hiawassee, in September.

If I had my way, I would relocate to Hiawassee in a heartbeat, but Momma says no...
Q1....Hotels to handle 150+ cars???????????
Q2....who maps the runs?
Q3....banquet facilities and catering to handle 250+ people
Q4...do your roads go thru towns or just stay in the wilds
Q5...Bio-break locations

People always push their location until it's time to step up. You should hear the requests...Idaho (who has cars there for mapping)
Vermont (in the tourist season? gimme a break !!!) THE UP (see Idaho...remember tourists)...or W Va (great roads...one town)

A national event (we did 2010..203 cars) needs to be located CLOSE TO (but not in) a large city...have a series of hotels avbl
as well as tourist attractions close by and needs MANY people to organize. We had people coming from 3 hrs away just to map and RC...!!
John Shurr drove 300 miles from Seattle to help in Portland...and Sooner drove long stretches to do Ozarks. same with Glenn Nicodemus...Solli and Dengel .....and many more

This is not a rant...but an admonishment to people who love "their little niche of America"

Don't suggest if you are not prepared to VOLUNTEER countless hours of YOUR OWN TIME
MomsSol likes this.

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
I thought it would be cool if it rotated on a three year cycle... west coast, central US, east coast, repeat. East was this year, central is next, seems west should be 2019.
DENVER IS 2018...that's WEST

NEOKAPPA's

Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
IIRC it has to do with getting tools and products into Canada.
I too would have liked for Canada to host a national meet .... that's why the meet was named North America Solstice Sky Meet (since changed to NASSAM)
Only one Eastern spot in canada with enough home-car support...Quebec
like Mt. Tremblant

BUT...(caveat) Tremblant is not just for skiing.....very touristy in the summer in the Laurentians
and even with exchange rate over 30%....$300. a night will deter a lot of people
and Mom is right...no US vendors will come due to border/import restrictions

NEOKAPPA's

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwin View Post
Eh! Canada! Just food for thought .. what a bout Niagara Falls, Canada / Buffalo, NY option .. Can you imagine 100 cars hit the boarder for a quick trip along the Niagara River?
HERE WE GO AGAIN....no roads there...unless you want to crawl at 5mph along the River Road...just ask Jack Lawrence

oh yeah...100 cars crossing the border at once...Passport and inspection problems...ask Alex Bastien

NEOKAPPA's

Last edited by druid-2; 06-29-2017 at 09:14 AM.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 AM

What does it take to host a National event?
2 words...DEDICATION & SUPPORT

John had the right idea in KY...do not open any runs before you have your support staff (RC;s & sweeps)

Let me give you an example

Let's call it 2019 Abstract (2019-A)

Place: Marietta Ohio
Hotels: Plenty
Conference rooms and catering ---probable
ROADS : SE Ohio already mapped...W VA roads not done...home-grown support NIL

So here's the rub...Mapping & RC's
the NEO group lives primarily by the lake ( ERIE) ...so JUST TO GET TO MARIETTA takes 2-3 hours
then the mapping...one road can take days...so you have to drive 3 hrs...map for several hours then drive home
DO THIS 50 TIMES

then we get to RC's......we need 20+ people willing to RC.....they potentially could drive up to 5hrs just to get to the roads...learn them..and drive home...and your roads need to stay out of towns with stoplights (and therefore read no fast food or Bio-breaks)

SEE THE PROBLEM???

I'd love to try Marietta as a home base...but local support is ZERO...and even Charleston is 100 miles away

so it ain't gonna happen

NEOKAPPA's

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
Maybe if we poke sticks at the members from California, Nevada and Oregon long enough, one of them will step forward and volunteer!
Oregon did it in 2015....California will draw only west of the Rockies...and Vegas did it too (2008)

NEOKAPPA's

Last edited by druid-2; 06-29-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
DENVER IS 2018...that's WEST
I was thinking west-er than that. The Rockies are still pretty central.

Quote:
Oregon did it in 2015....California will draw only west of the Rockies...and Vegas did it too (2007)
I think Kentucky will mostly draw east of the Rockies. Same thing, different direction. Wherever it ends up being in 2019, I guess doesn't really matter. I just thought it would be nice to spread the love.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Only one Eastern spot in canada with enough home-car support...Quebec
like Mt. Tremblant

BUT...(caveat) Tremblant is not just for skiing.....very touristy in the summer in the Laurentians
and even with exchange rate over 30%....$300. a night will deter a lot of people
and Mom is right...no US vendors will come due to border/import restrictions
Pierre, who was the leader in Quebec sold his Coupe. His talents and dedication would be very hard to replace.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
HERE WE GO AGAIN....no roads there...unless you want to crawl at 5mph along the River Road...just ask Jack Lawrence

oh yeah...100 cars crossing the border at once...Passport and inspection problems...ask Alex Bastien
And add to this that you are into tourist season so hotels will be $300 to $400 per night on weekends plus they won't be flexible for group bookings.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 AM

Garage
To begin, I appreciate that there isn't a National Sol/Sky organization to oversee events and of course for that reason we rely on individuals and small groups to come together to "host" a national event. Generally this seems to work pretty well - IMHO (keep in mind that I am a relatively recent participant). There are some of you who have been involved in these events for quite a few years - does anyone keep information that would help a group wanting to host the National event? Are there people with the talent and past experience who would be willing to assist with setting up registration, web site...etc - those things that every event needs? has there been a review of the past events to identify what works well and what could be improved. There is no shortage of great places (or at least interesting places) in this country (and Canada), so what makes a great location for a National event? If a new group steps up and wants to host the National are they completely on their own?
CycleCat likes this.
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Garage
Jeeeez...i was just making a comment!

In the British Sports Car crowd I have been involved in the organization of some rallys and shows so I am not quite as stupid as you make me sound.

In the original post, Georgia was mentioned so I just threw in what I said.

Sorry to have offended you. I will keep my mouth shut.
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Texas?

The SW club has a sizable group in the Dallas Ft Worth area and some great organizing skills. Maybe they will step up some year. Their big asset is the Hill Country and the Twisted Sisters route favored by motorcyclists. Many good runs are already mapped. They would probably locate in Austin or San Antonio, since the smaller cities of Kerrville, Fredricksburg, etc. would be challenged for hotel space and banquet facilities. Just a suggestion.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode