Nassam 2019 - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMarion View Post
To begin, I appreciate that there isn't a National Sol/Sky organization to oversee events and of course for that reason we rely on individuals and small groups to come together to "host" a national event. Generally this seems to work pretty well - IMHO (keep in mind that I am a relatively recent participant). There are some of you who have been involved in these events for quite a few years - does anyone keep information that would help a group wanting to host the National event? Are there people with the talent and past experience who would be willing to assist with setting up registration, web site...etc - those things that every event needs? has there been a review of the past events to identify what works well and what could be improved. There is no shortage of great places (or at least interesting places) in this country (and Canada), so what makes a great location for a National event? If a new group steps up and wants to host the National are they completely on their own?
The short answer is ... partially. I got good advice from several past organizers, some of which applied and some of which didn't. Also, some of it worked, and some of it didn't. There is no substitute for experience however, and no amount of coaching will cover all of the issues, or maybe even most of them. Also, areas are different enough that a straight cookbook won't work. Perversely, the things that I "recycled" from past events caused the most problems, and some of the things that shouldn't have worked went like clockwork.

I will give whatever remote assistance I can to whoever asks for it. I can tell you how I did things, and what I would do differently if I did it again, but at the end of the day the organizer is going to face unique challenges.

Mike made a pretty good list of "requirements", even if he was less than diplomatic in some of his comments:
1) Event facilities capable of handling up to 300 people
2) Multiple hotels in close proximity to maximize people's choices
3) Flexible hotel and event sit management that understand you are an amateur and will cater to a car group
4) Good roads with interesting destinations in close proximity to the main site
5) Easy access to those roads without a long trek down the highway or travel through a congested area
6) Food and relief facilities located in appropriate locations along the routes
7) Enough people to lead runs, run registration, organize activities, stage cars for runs, and set up things like the car show
8) If you are the main organizer, don't plan to do any of the runs. The go-to person has to be on site to answer questions and make decisions
9) Enough people close enough to drive all of the routes multiple times. Mapping can initially be done remotely, but testing has to be done in person, and every single edit has to be tested
?) All of the other little things that you won't know until you don't have them
CycleCat likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
Jeeeez...i was just making a comment!

In the British Sports Car crowd I have been involved in the organization of some rallys and shows so I am not quite as stupid as you make me sound.

In the original post, Georgia was mentioned so I just threw in what I said.

Sorry to have offended you. I will keep my mouth shut.
Don't take it personally. No area (except Lexington, of course) is perfect, and someone can probably shoot holes in any suggestion. It is entirely possible that there are facilities there that no one here knows about, so the answer is to make a proposal listing the key features of the area, and how they would provide a good location.
CycleCat likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
John is right and his points are succinct

if I was less than "diplomatic" well then tough kazoobies

DEDICATION & SUPPORT is your #1 priority
If you are not prepared to spend almost 2 years of preparation which means countless hours
of mapping...planning..etc....then don't mention your "special location"

On the other hand if you are serious about an event there are 12 Nationals behind your who will offer support

There are great run managers...web designers....location organizers ...all you have to do is ask

BUT DON'T EXPECT THIS SUPPORT TO RUN YOUR EVENT...we are support...not THE TEAM
that is your job to do...it can be as small as 4 people or as large as 12
but everyone needs a job...a timeline....and a flow chart

just one person doesn't do their job and it's a total unrecoverable FUBAR

I'm blunt....but truthful (right John?) [p.s. John...you have been blunt and ascerbic in the past too (lol) but we all mellow a bit

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned

Last edited by druid-2; 06-29-2017 at 03:55 PM.
post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebot39 View Post
The SW club has a sizable group in the Dallas Ft Worth area and some great organizing skills. Maybe they will step up some year. Their big asset is the Hill Country and the Twisted Sisters route favored by motorcyclists. Many good runs are already mapped. They would probably locate in Austin or San Antonio, since the smaller cities of Kerrville, Fredricksburg, etc. would be challenged for hotel space and banquet facilities. Just a suggestion.
We've already done one in Austin and most of us in the SWSC were hip deep in it. There was also a freak heat wave with temps 10-15 degrees above normal that made the distances we had to travel from Austin to the Sisters pretty miserable. If, IF, there were to ever be another one in Texas, it would have to be in San Antonio just because of the miles between things.

It's sticky!!!

Last edited by stuck; 06-29-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
Jeeeez...i was just making a comment!

(SNIP)

Sorry to have offended you. I will keep my mouth shut.

Don't apologize! All suggestions are valid here. We are brainstorming. The Druid is straightforward to the point of being abrasive but he's just trying to make sure anyone going into this is going in with eyes wide open.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:50 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
Don't apologize! All suggestions are valid here. We are brainstorming. The Druid is straightforward to the point of being abrasive but he's just trying to make sure anyone going into this is going in with eyes wide open.

Thank you...I resemble that remark

on a lighter note...as you will observe...I have been a member here for 12 years now
and have learned more about my car from more knowledgeable people than you can imagine.
When my early 06 came off the truck I knew more about the car than the dealership
12 years ago my circle of friends consisted solely of co-workers or neighbors...today 95% are Kappas

and as far as being "abrasive" I've been called worse
but I won't lie to you either
CycleCat likes this.

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
I'm all for going back to Lexington KY in 2019. I like the area and geographically it appears central enough to attract a good number of participants.

I also agree that all ideas are worthy of consideration even if they may not work out.

Are there any Kappa owners from Huntsville/Florence AL (or close by) following this? Are you familiar with the Marriott Shoals in Florence (one of the top ranked Marriotts in the country)? Nice location. (take a look on Google Maps) Would any of you be interested in starting a group to investigate the possibility of having a 2020 National there? I lived there for a few years and know the GM at the hotel. I also know the Mayors of Florence and Muscle Shoals. They have a great tourism group that I'm sure would support our efforts. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions and places to drive. They love to promote the Shoals. Any thoughts?
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid-2 View Post
Thank you...I resemble that remark

and as far as being "abrasive" I've been called worse
but I won't lie to you either
Truer words may have never been written! And I am happy that I am considered to be one of those Kappa friends.

Regarding my comments about Lexington in 2019: I am making arrangements as a backstop to the possibility that 2019 will be a repeat of 2017 with no one willing to take on the challenge, but I would actually prefer that it be somewhere else. I am always looking for an excuse to return to Watkins Glen, for instance, and have never been to Muscle Shoals. I hope that I haven't discouraged others from investigating their area because there is a lot to be said for going to a different location each year.

There is still plenty of time for a group to explore options and make a proposal for 2019. The main time-critical activity is the reservation of meeting space, especially for the banquet. Places with seating for 300 are not thick upon the ground near where we want to be, and they tend to get reserved early. Even without a team in place, one interested person can make inquiries about space and make a non-binding reservation for it while the rest of the details are explored. Based on early practice and what we went through over the past year, January 2018 is a very workable deadline for making the decision about location.

Remember too that if convention is followed, 2020 is likely to be a Western event.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 06-30-2017 at 10:04 AM.
post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

So, it has been a month since NASSAM17. Is anyone working on NASSAM19?

John
Lexington, KY
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 03:58 PM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
So, it has been a month since NASSAM17. Is anyone working on NASSAM19?
I looks like it is all yours (and Glenn) Go for it.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

It is too soon for that decision, I think that everyone would prefer a unique location.

John
Lexington, KY
post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:54 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I for one agree. Less hot and humid would be great. How about Canada?

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
I for one agree. Less hot and humid would be great. How about Canada?
I would be willing to help out with that (if it was in my area), however the big issue apparently is that vendors would run into problems crossing the border.
MomsSol likes this.
post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSolDriver View Post
I would be willing to help out with that (if it was in my area), however the big issue apparently is that vendors would run into problems crossing the border.
I will bring this up at this weekend's Hamilton gathering to see if we have enough interest. It could be a Niagara Falls NY/Can gathering..

-- Daryl
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSolDriver View Post
A few Canada thoughts eh.......
Hotel cost / availability will be close to impossible in Niagara as you are in the high tourist season third week of June. Everyone coming from US needs a passport and vendors will not get across border without an incredible amount of advance paperwork, brokerage and bond fees. All mods will be subject to 13% sales tax.

Have thought about this many times. Wish it could be easy.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode