Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

NASSAM 2020 Rapid City

22K views 133 replies 29 participants last post by  mysolst 
#1 ·
Hello, welcome to the NASSAM 2020 thread.

As was announced at the 2018 NASSAM banquet, those who brought you NASSAM 2015 (Pacific Northwest Roadsters - PNWR) with some help from Ohio, Arkansas, Minnesota and the wonderful province of British Columbia are happy to bring you the 2020 version of NASSAM, this time hosted in Rapid City, South Dakota.

This thread in no way is an intent to take focus and planning effort from the 2019 event (some of us are working on that one too), but rather to simply let the community know that there is a 2020 event planned for June 21-26, 2020. As this constitutes a long drive for just about everyone, so we thought we'd get the word out and perhaps folks could plan a once in a lifetime trip to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer National Park, Devils Tower and my personal favorite, the Badlands of South Dakota.

Best regards from PNWR and our cast of thousands.

Hope to see you in 2020.

#2 ·
Thank you for the heads up. I was hoping the 2020 NASSAM would be in Canton, Ohio to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the highest attended NASSM or NASSAM ever. Why isn't there a poll on the Kappa forums (including Facebook) to see where everyone that wants to go to a nationals can cast a vote?? Living in Northeast, Ohio, I have a choice of driving 4.42 hours to Corning, NY in 2019 or 18.47 hours to Rapid City, SD in 2020. For various reasons, my wife and I were unable to attend the prior NASSAM's that were closer to us. I hope that everyone who attends the 2020 NASSAM has a great time. God willing, my wife and I will be in Corning, NY for the 2019 NASSAM.

#4 · (Edited)
Why isn't there a poll on the Kappa forums (including Facebook) to see where everyone that wants to go to a nationals can cast a vote?

I think the simple answer to your question is that the folks who volunteer to host the event (and do all of the work) are given the choice of location. Pacific Northwest Roadsters hosted our first event close to home in Portland, Oregon knowing that we would not attract too many people from 3,000 miles away. Thus, for 2020 I was hoping to split the difference in mileage driven. And I might point out, if this were put to a vote each year...I'd speculate it would never occur west of the Mississippi River.

#3 ·
wow - excellent - the parties continue !!!

:party::party::party:

Reactions: easyryderca
#5 ·
It is put to a vote effectively and we have not had more than one location be in serious competition. Several times an individual or small group will volunteer and withdraw. Plus, the vast majority of attendees don’t regularly come to the forums anymore. They share on FB so any kind of voting would have to be implemented outside the Forums’s

#21 ·
There's a Canton down the road from me. It's a pit of despair, but it's close, and in the center of the country (along the X axis).

#15 ·
I think Rapid City is a great choice for scenery but a bad choice for someone from East Tennessee that would have to travel about 1500 miles to get there. Just like Colorado this year and Corning next year. Both great locations just maybe not if you live in the Southeast. I'll probably wait until it comes back to Kentucky or some place closer. If I were retired I would love to travel to some of these other places. Here's to hoping NASSAM is still going on in about 15 years when I can travel to some of these further places :cheers:

#20 ·
FWIW - it was in Kentucky in 2017, Arkansas in 2016, North Carolina in 2012, and Ohio in 2010.

#17 ·
I like the Idea of NASSAMs being distributed all around the contiguous United States. The Ozarks and KY were doable for thr Eastern seaboard (north and south). Black Hawk was very centrally located. It drew cars from both coasts, Canada, and points north and south- Corning N.Y. is clearly East Coast, and Rapid City is again centraly located. Spreading the locations around gives ALL owners a shot at attending a NASSAM. If a particular area feels overlooked, form a planning group, reserve your date, and host a future NASSAM. I think this is a great system, and it is completely controlled by the owners most interested and motivated. Rather than complaining, get to work and make a NASSAM happen in your area. Colorado did it.

#22 ·
Well, I know folks are looking forward to next month in New York, but some of us are actively finishing up planning for 2020 in Rapid City. Looking forward to both. While I'm sure there will be some conversation here on this forum after the 2019 event, we'll be asking folks to look first for information on the website nassam2020.com when it goes up on July 15. If you can't find what you're looking for there let us know and we'll remedy that. Event and hotel registration will be available at that time.

#26 ·
Thanks guys. Rob will be there doing his maintenance class...which I missed in Blackhawk because I was leading runs...so I'm really looking forward to that. As for other volunteers, if anyone would like to volunteer please send an email to nassam2020@outlook.com. I would love to have a couple more run captains, and we can always use an extra hand in the registration room.

#27 ·
Hello All: As has been noted, the website will be up on July 15. To kick things off I thought I'd mention that the website we chose was capable of ecommerce meaning that the process of registering and buying t-shirts, coins, etc. will be like any other online store. You click on the item you like, choose the number of items you with to purchase, add it to your cart and then pay through PayPal. We hope that enough folks have done online shopping that this will be straight forward. At any time you'll also be able to return to make additional purchases...an extra t-shirt or whatever. Upon completion of registration you'll get two emails, one from PayPal and one from us. If you lose track of your confirmations you will be able to go to the website, click on the "Who's Coming?" link and find your name. To keep some anonymity you would find me by looking for "RickH" from Washington State...you should be able to find yourself and the runs for which you've signed up. More on other stuff later.

#28 ·
Hello, this week's coming attraction is for the NASSAM 2020 runs that will be available. On our website (coming July 15th) you'll be able to click on the link for runs and find descriptions and maps for each run. There are four guided runs and two unguided. The unguided runs are to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, we figured there would be just so many different desires for time to be spent at each that folks could get together if they wished to stay for an hour, some longer. There are also evening shows at those locations. The other four runs are Badlands, Custer State Park (including the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road), Devils Tower and Spearfish Canyon. Each has been carefully planned with many stops to...uh...well...use the restroom. :) Hope to see you in 2020. Oh, and before anyone asks, as noted on the Runs page there will be Garmin files available as of September 1st. I want to make one more pass in August before I publish those.

#29 ·
Hi folks, our next coming attraction on the website. We have a page called "The Basics" that will tell you all of the when, where, how and how much ($$). After looking at the photos on the home page you might want to start with the basics and then have a look at the "Calendar" page with the day-by-day schedule of events. We'll be getting our committee to start final website testing shortly so hopefully we'll get them to find any last improvements before going live. Best regards. Rick

#30 ·
In testing the website we came up with a new thing! If you are bringing TWO cars; please note that you will process two separate registrations and payments in two different transactions. Register the first car individually and complete payment before returning to register the second car. For each car simply list a driver with no navigator. Each car will be separately numbered with its own goodie bag. Please order t-shirts for the occupant of that car so we can insure correct t-shirts get into the correct goodie bags. Yeah, I know this only applies to about eight people, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

#32 ·
I didn't get that from the description, unless the fee structure is different from what has been done previously.
One car with two people costs 2x whatever the registration fee is. Two cars with one person each costs 2x whatever the registration fee is.

#34 ·
We had the same issue in Lexington, and it really isn't a big problem. We split the registrations just as you are describing.

The only impact of one person with two cars that we could foresee would be if they wanted to enter both of them in the same activity, like the car show, or if another registered participant was going to drive the second one in a run that was concurrent with a run that the first car was in. Absent either of those situations, any number of cars wouldn't affect anything.

#36 ·
Good Morning: I received a PM, so I thought I'd better reiterate. The website is in final testing, and we're waiting for the hotel to open registrations. We will have the website up July 15 for your perusal, registration, etc. Karen will look into putting up something at nassam2020.com saying "Coming July 15, please join us in Rapid City for NASSAM 2020!" In the meantime, our apologies for any confusion.

#39 ·
We thought it might be kind of fun to give some previews. Over on Facebook the response has been almost entirely positive in the hundreds of responses. I just thought I'd try something a little different this year. Hopefully my silly idea has been fun for most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.