Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

OK, what about 2017 Nationals?

10K views 74 replies 23 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
Usually by now we have begun to consider where the nationals after next will be held. So far, dead silence?

Thoughts?

:lurk::lurk::lurk:

#2 · (Edited)
I think perhaps this is premature, at least let the 2016 come and go before pushing 2017.. Or perhaps somebody standing up and picking a location I guess is ok

#3 ·
If we wait till June it will be too late.

It generally takes six months of discussion to figure out which are viable candidates and where people will agree to go

#4 ·
Having just driven through Upsate NY anywhere in or near the Adarondaks would be amazing. Lake Placid, Saratoga Springs etc. Beautiful country. Lots of mountains and twisties. Of course a team of people need to live near there and step up to do it. I saw one Sol north of Syracuse so I suspect not a lot of Kappa's in these parts.:cryin:

#6 ·
Montreal area would be great. Problem will be you need a passport to go between Canada and USA. You should also have an inkling of French if you are driving around as road signs are only in French. If you do not know what "Arrete" means then you probably should not be driving in the province of Quebec. My French is poor but I have enough to have driven around Quebec many times. It is a beautiful and wonderful part of Canada. No offence meant to our French Canadian Kappa brothers and sisters but it is difficult driving with no grasp of French. However, if our Quebec chapter chose to host NASSM I would be there in a heart beat.

Canada will be a problem for the vendors getting across the border with tools and products. It is a can of worms and I doubt they would come. Sadly, I don't see a Kanadian Kappa NASSM happening.:cryin:

#7 ·
How about this? Lake Placid is only about an hour and a half from the border. Maybe there could be a run or two that crosses the border for those prepared for the crossing. That could get our Canadian friends involved in the planning and execution of the event. They could even post some signs in English along the routes of the runs.

#8 ·
I think Lake Placid would be incredible. The wife and I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza there a couple of times. She is a figure skater and trains there occasionaly. Sadly, English signs in the province of Quebec are illegal. If this happened in Lake Placid you would get a big turn out from Quebec & Ontario. I would throw in my organizational skills and hotel negotiating abilities ( part of my former life) if needed.

#9 ·
North east would be great

Lake Placide NY , Stowe and Burlington VT would be great. Even il I am only a French Canadian that drive on road were there is only French sign (LOL), I planned many rides in this area and they were incredible. The best and not to miss is The ride going in Lake Champlain Island area to Stowe going to The mountain notch. The other one from Kilington is also a spectaculaire one.

If someone decided to take The lead with this idea, I would volonteer to help for sure , in French (LOL).

Even better, iif some of you would like to come and do some ride in Montreal area, I already have a minimum of four ride ready to share.

The SSQOC (Solstice Sky Québec Owners Club) are Always ready to welcome Kappa friends. We did in The past and We were 50 cars and il was not even a National meet. And BTW not ones hot lost be cause of French sign.... 2XLOL

#12 · (Edited)
Lake Placide NY , Stowe and Burlington VT would be great. Even il I am only a French Canadian that drive on road were there is only French sign (LOL), I planned many rides in this area and they were incredible. The best and not to miss is The ride going in Lake Champlain Island area to Stowe going to The mountain notch. The other one from Kilington is also a spectaculaire one.

If someone decided to take The lead with this idea, I would volonteer to help for sure , in French (LOL).

Even better, iif some of you would like to come and do some ride in Montreal area, I already have a minimum of four ride ready to share.

The SSQOC (Solstice Sky Québec Owners Club) are Always ready to welcome Kappa friends. We did in The past and We were 50 cars and il was not even a National meet. And BTW not ones hot lost be cause of French sign.... 2XLOL
When you and your team did the Eastern Townships run a few years back it was incredible. It was one of the best runs I have been on. If you decided to do the Nationals in Quebec it would be awesome. If someone would step up and lead on Adarondaks that would also be fantastic. :thumbs: My concern about French was more for our American friends. They might have no knowledge of it. As an Ontario guy I have a working knowledge from school and my wife is half French so she can always translate for me.:lol:

Your idea of Burlington VT is an excellent one. I would volunteer to handle or help out on the hotel negotiations. There is a Sheraton there. I have experience with SPG branded hotels having a booked them for our annual Niagara Run, Collingwood and Kingston get togethers. Rob makes a good point about more central location but this area is so stunning it would be worth it.

#10 ·
Lake Placid sounds good. I don't understand French (well, a few words: nord, sud, est, ouest, sortie & arret) but passport is no problem. I've driven from Montreal to Quebec City and back twice. The first time (many years ago) road signs had English subtitles, the next time (a few years ago), only French.

#11 ·
Nice suggestions

Do we have any volunteers?

In any region.

One of the advantages of Arkansas is its closer to more regions. Having events in areas distant from the cdnter of the country results in a hardship for those far distant from the event. It would be great to find active volunteers closer to the center of the country. But right now just finding volunteers would be great

#19 ·
It can take months just to get a consensus among a group to propose holding an event like this. And generally once you have done one, you are not motivated to do another one . . .

#25 ·
We may be getting to the point where we have used up the regional volunteers. Maybe its time to do a Nationals by Committee and pick a good place to hold them even if no one on the organizing committee actually lives there. Also, with the web resources, its not really necessary to live in a particular region to hold an event there anymore.

#26 ·
Somewhere out west again would be really nice - a place I have time to drive to and back in a week (some of us still have jobs that prevent taking time to do transcontinental drives).

How about Colorado, Rob - I've always wanted to see that area......

#30 ·
If we consider US population (not geography) the center is closer to St. Louis, Louisville KY, Nashville, Cincinnati. Understandably even this area isn't going to make everyone happy if you live on the extremes of the US but for attendance this may be the best location. I've lived in Louisville and Nashville and there is plenty to do between the bourbon trail/ Jack Daniels, car museums (Indianapolis,Bowling Green), Music, great country roads, Natchez Trace, etc. Does it make any sense to consider having two events - west coast and east coast/central? By using the internet and contacting local organizations that want to promote tourism we may be able to organize an event with a minimum of local Solstice/Sky owners. Just points for discussion.

#32 ·
If we consider US population (not geography) the center is closer to St. Louis, Louisville KY, Nashville, Cincinnati. Understandably even this area isn't going to make everyone happy if you live on the extremes of the US but for attendance this may be the best location. I've lived in Louisville and Nashville and there is plenty to do between the bourbon trail/ Jack Daniels, car museums (Indianapolis,Bowling Green), Music, great country roads, Natchez Trace, etc. Does it make any sense to consider having two events - west coast and east coast/central? By using the internet and contacting local organizations that want to promote tourism we may be able to organize an event with a minimum of local Solstice/Sky owners. Just points for discussion.
I'd like to see the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Also, they have a new racetrack there. Maybe they would let us use it?

Yogi

#31 ·
I would love to have another event in Colorado. You can hardly go anywhere without running into a twistie in the mountains. :)

#35 ·
I have been involved with the FJ National event for many years. Ouray, Colorado offers a great little town, and some spectacular drives near it. I vote Rob Host it there! You could do it the 2nd week of July and I could just stay over for the off road event!

#36 ·
Where do you find hotels? Last time I checked there werre only a couple there

But I agree its beautiful

#37 ·
Bluegrass area

The Corvette guys do their events in Kentucky, Louisville is a large enough town to have adequate hotels at fairly reasonable prices (plus, it's in 'flyover' country which is low cost compared to the coasts). There are a lot of good roads, beautiful countryside in the thoroughbred horse breeding sections around Lexington - and the Bourbon Tour is really something to see. There should be enough Indiana, Southern Ohio, Northern Tennessee and Kentucky guys/gals to staff an event - and it is almost exactly in the middle of the country.

#39 · (Edited)
We get 350 trucks every year. Actually there are about 8 in town, then you have several RV camping sites in town and a KOA just north of town. Some stay in Montrose, 30 minutes north.

The city endorses our event, we donate to mountain rescue and two scholarships of a 1000 dollars every year. We have had all 9 Nationals there.

Some of the most beautiful off road trails in the United States. And one of the most scenic/dangerous highways in the world between Ouray and Silverton. The triangle of Durango, Ouray and Telluride is as near paradise as you can get, although Telluride is very expensive. Many high mountain passes and twisties on both sides down to Durango. I believe a regional was held in the Durango area. The area is known as the Alps or Switzerland of the Americas. The San Juans are not like any other mountain range in the continental US (supposedly) Similar to ranges in British Columbia.

Moab, Utah seems to be within the run length of the Arkansas National, so does Glenwood Springs.

If there is interest in that area I would help. I agree with the premise it should be somewhat centrally located. Not sure Ouray fits that mold.

I could get you in touch with the people that organize our event for phone numbers and help setting it up.

No I do not work for the tourism council of Ouray, but I sure could. I love the place.

#41 ·
Durango is the lowest altitude of the triangle, near Mesa Verde and Farmington. As you go north you hit the 14K foot mountain ranges. Numerous 9, 10 K passes. It is a 75 mile drive to Ouray, listed time by triple A I think is 4 hours. Some really tight twisties, with straight down cliffs and no guard rails. But the views are spectacular.

I lived in Pagosa Springs, east of Durango about 50 miles.

And yes Durango is expensive, actually all of the area is. But anyone that owns a Kappa should drive the million dollar highway at least once. It is quite an experience. I thought I was going to get to this summer, but decided not to tow the car there. Glad I didn't as it rained every single day we were there, every morning. Actually snowed on us on top of Imogene Pass on the 23rd of July.

But I also think it is going to be hard to find anything as centrally located as the Arkansas National. They have found a real gem with this one, no question.

#42 ·
So I appreciate your comments about Ouray but based on my experience driving all over Colorado and eastern Utah for the past 20 years, I think the best place to hold a nationals would be in Moab.

They have a ton of things to do and some great and I mean GREAT roads to run. Desert twisties where we have gone well into tripple digits and down to 15 MPH on tight corners - all on the same trip.

Dead Horse Point and Punker Pass Road

Arches National Park

Gateway / Nucla highway. The resort and car museum are great to visit

The run up the colorado river road has to be seen to be believed. and you can visit

Highway 24 to Capital Reef. They have home made pie and icecream at the park entrance. Lots of twisties and elevation changes on that road. Some of the most beautiful terrain for pictures.

Run to Fruita and the Feed Lot for really great prime rib. Then on to Palisade for the wineries

The Colorado Monument is a fantastic set of twisties along a mini grand canyon.

The cruise up and over Grand Mesa is fantastic. Great high altitude pictures there.

In Moab they also have:
Dinner and river cruise with light show
Ziplines
Hot air balooning
Hiking
Jeep rentals
Lots of fun brew pubs

Im guessing that you could attract numbers similar to the Denver nationals in 09 which was if I recall correctly about 125 cars and ~230 people.

Moab can support that size group.

Could be doable with some help if there is enough interest

Attachments

#43 · (Edited)
You are so good and full of gréât idea

With all You are saying about everybody ideas and the great Ideas you have, I realy think you should organised the 2017 National.

For Moab Utah. I would do the drive from Montreal QC for this. It would worth it for sure. Never been there.

#45 ·
Moab is a location we visit twice a year with the club. Its great in the spring and fall because while its still cold and cloudy in Colorado, its warm and sunny without being hot yet.

Attachments

#46 ·
These are pictures taken on cruises to Moab. Most from the driver's seat. Beatiful views.

Attachments

#47 ·
A few more pics including a couple of the road to and stopped at Gateway resort and car museum

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.