Will there be a NASSAM 2019? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
What do you consider a driveable distance?
Four hours is about my driving limit, which I know isn't very much to a lot of people. However I have no horse in this race, what's important is that the Kappa National continue to go on from year to year.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 AM

Garage
I say this not endorsing a certain site, and after a lot of thought, do not think the town of Ouary would be a good site for a NASSAM. Too much chance of rain and snow.

Having a National at a specific site is normal. Floating all over the nation is not. Unless it is part of a series.

I again point to the most successful Toyota National Event. Toyota FJ Summit in Ouray, Colorado. Trucks come from all over the world to be part of this. Last year 457 vehicles were allowed into the event, it sold out in 37 seconds, a few seconds longer than the prior year. Why? Held at one of the most beautiful off road areas in the world. City totally endorses the activity and it brings millions of dollars into a small town. They like us and want us there. The whole town supports the event. It is their busiest week of the year. They close the main highway thru town for pictures of all the trucks on Sunday morning.

It is regular, you know when, where and what you need to be there. People have been doing the same event for 11 years, they have it all figured out. Sign up for it is at 10.00am on 1 April every year. Sign up is over before 10.01 every year.

Find a place semi centrally located, stabilize it. Use some of the profits/charity money to front the next event. Work together to promote and approach outside sponsors for the event. Change the date to the Fall Solstice. (better weather)

Starting over with a new event every year, new organizers and volunteers, it is doomed for failure. You will never get a major sponsor to cover some of the cost doing it this way in my opinion.

Thanks to all the people that have stepped forward and done these. The cost, the time, the effort and the chance you have taken is far beyond what most of this group could ever realize.

Arkansas/Missouri area gives you the Ozarks. Move it to late September, I think it would grow and grow quickly, Find a little town that needs something, you will be surprised how much they will do to promote it year around.

Just because it has been done one way for years, does not mean it is the best. It thrived when GM was involved. I think it would again with a similar sponsor.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Just because it has been done one way for years, does not mean it is the best. It thrived when GM was involved. I think it would again with a similar sponsor.
Here's the past statistics for NASSAM:

Code:
Year	City	           Cars	People	Vendors/	Charity
					Sponsors
2006	Kansas City	    100	189	7	2135
2007	Nashville	    162	265	4	6572
2008	Las Vegas	    108	170	10	2300
2009	Denver	            125	250	19	12400
2010	Canton	            203	350	8	5000
2011	Austin	            136	200+	5	5500
2012	Asheville	    156	251	7	1200+
2013    Flagstaff           125 197     3	6000
2014    Poconos             185 320     5	~2000
2015    Portland            108 208	6	9500+
2016    Ozarks              128	232	15	21,130
2017	Lexington, KY	    165 269     6       9,000
2018    Denver, CO          to be added
2019    Lexington, KY?      to be added
2010 was the last year that any Pontiac money was involved. It was the largest due to it's location. Michigan and Ohio were two of the largest states when it came to Kappa sales. The others were California, Texas and Florida.

I agree with everything skersfan said in the prior message.

1st 1K - #741
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The truth is that most owners don't care. They just drive their cars and have fun with them. They are not into organizations or groups. It is the exception to have an active club that continues to hold events and get 20 to 30 people to show up at them.

I think we may be at the point where we could start discussing holding a national at a fixed location though. Somewhere mid country, where the humidity is not debilitating. :-)

One byproduct of having so many different groups hold events is we do have a lot of experienced people who conceivably be coerced into supporting a national in a central location on a recurring basis.
skersfan likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:20 PM

Location: buzzard..what buzzard..do you see a buzzard..I didn't see a buzzard...or that little sparrow either- or dat squirrel
several people mentioned here have been invited to a 2019 exploratory Group on FB

John Reidel is one of them.

not trying to pre-empt or step on anyone's toes...trying to make something happen in upstate NY
tallcraig likes this.

NEOKAPPA's

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old !

Druid (Cool) MERLIN came home 11-15-05 VIN 4495
Clear bra, Stubby antenna, Kappashield, mudguards, Black wheels with Hankook Ventus tires...CAI..SOLO SQR-2 with free flow CAT & SS header DDM Racing backbone and Pro-beam ..painted calipers and wheel center decals. 25% tint windshield ... Vertical Chrome billet grille .. 95K - stay tuned
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:31 PM

I am all for an event in upstate New York. The Finger Lakes and Watkins Glen would be a great location, but if you do your exploration on FB you'll be doing it without me.

I do urge you to explore quickly. Even with last year's experience I do not want to do another fast-track plan.
CycleCat likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
...... It thrived when GM was involved. I think it would again with a similar sponsor.
This comment made me think, so I went back through the prior Annual Meet statistics and compared the number of cars attending each one to the number of cars on the road at the end of May for that year. From 2006 thru 2010 the number of cars on the road is the number produced through the end of May according to the production data that we have. In every year from 2007 thru 2017 3% of the cars on the road the year before were deducted to allow for normal attrition.

Kansas City (2006) saw 0.49% of the available cars attending the meet, and Nashville (2007) had 0.30%.
Lexington (2017) and Poconos (2014) were 0.25%, and Canton (2010) was 0.24%
Asheville (2012) was 0.20% and Ozarks (2016) was 0.19%
Austin (2011) was 0.17% and Flagstaff (2013) was 0.16%.
Portland (2015) and Denver (2009) were 0.15%, and Las Vegas (2008) was 0.14%.

The only real pattern is that eastern meets tend to be better attended than western meets, but the presence or absence of a sponsor doesn't seem to matter.

John
Lexington, KY
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM

Garage
Stand corrected. But without you we are at the end of the line it appears.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 AM

There is also the option of piggybacking onto another annual Pontiac or GM Event. The location and hotel rooms are already chosen. Though I know it would take additional coordination, planning, and of course money independent of the Pontiac event itself. I've listed a couple as examples, but I'm sure that there are other annual Pontiac or GM events around the country.

2018 POCI International Convention
Wisconsin Dells, WI ~ June 24-28, 2018
2501 River Road, Wisc. Dells, WI 53965
2018 POCI Convention - PONTIAC OAKLAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL (POCI)

2018 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals - Family Camping
August 3, 2018, Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park, 1300 State Route 18, Norwalk, OH 44857
Pontiac Nationals Results 17

Carlisle General Motors Nationals, 22-24 Jun 2018, Carlisle Fairgrounds, Harrisburg, USA
https://10times.com/carlisle-gm-nationals

2018 NW GM Nationals, Pacific Raceways, 31001 144th Ave SE, Kent WA 98042, September 15th, 2018
http://www.pnwcc.com/northwest-gm-nationals/

GM Nationals, 6/22/2018, Carlisle Fairgrounds, 1000 Bryn Mawr Road, Carlisle, PA 17013
GM Nationals

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 02-22-2018 at 07:15 AM.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Stand corrected. But without you we are at the end of the line it appears.
Assuming that is the case, although the recent interest in upstate New York may push that back yet another year, is it the end of the line or the beginning of what you and RtE are advocating?
Quote:
Having a National at a specific site is normal. Floating all over the nation is not. Unless it is part of a series. ....... It is regular, you know when, where and what you need to be there. .........

Find a place semi centrally located, stabilize it. Use some of the profits/charity money to front the next event. Work together to promote and approach outside sponsors for the event. Change the date to the Fall Solstice. (better weather)

Starting over with a new event every year, new organizers and volunteers, it is doomed for failure. You will never get a major sponsor to cover some of the cost doing it this way in my opinion.
Lexington is only a couple of hours away from the population center of the US, it is an area that is very favorable for driving events, and we have a hotel area that is well suited for our needs. I haven't been anywhere else that has as much going for it, but I clearly haven't been everywhere. Maybe there is another location that has what we need and someone to do the organization, but I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

The weather here in June may not always be optimal, but many people like the idea of coinciding with the Solstice, and December is even worse for sports car driving. Somehow, having the event during the Fall Equinox doesn't have quite the attraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
There is also the option of piggybacking onto another annual Pontiac Event. The location and hotel rooms are already chosen. Though I know it would take additional coordination, planning, and of course money independent of the Pontiac event itself. I've listed a couple as examples, but I'm sure that there are other annual Pontiac events around the country.

2018 POCI International Convention
Wisconsin Dells, WI ~ June 24-28, 2018
2501 River Road, Wisc. Dells, WI 53965
2018 POCI Convention - PONTIAC OAKLAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL (POCI)

2018 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals - Family Camping
August 3, 2018, Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park, 1300 State Route 18, Norwalk, OH 44857
Two problems with this. One, most of us don't want to get lost in a larger meet and two, I drive a Saturn.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 02-22-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Two problems with this. One, most of us don't want to get lost in a larger meet and two, I drive a Saturn.
Added a couple GM Nationals shows, and then there;s also the Street Machine Nationals where anyone can drive anything. Then's for the real driving enthusiast there's also the Hot Rod Power Tour. But it's true there is the possibility that Kappa's could get lost in a larger event, though I would hope there would be a designated Kappa parking area if it ever happened. OTOH, seeing a 100 Kappa parked together at a larger car show would be quite a spectacle and a way to bring more recognition to the Kappa platform by auto enthusiasts. The very type of people I'd like to see take more interest in Kappa's. Also, these larger car shows would expose Kappa's to a younger crowd, a demographic that is needed for it's long term survival.

I know it's a long shot, but as long as we're brainstorming here there may come a time where we have to become creative in order for the Kappa Nationals to contiue.

Something else I'd like to see is a designated videographer. Once the Sols are parked, during the winter I spend a lot of time searching out and watching Solstice videos, like the ones Julius posts from time to time. So it would be nice to watch a Kappa Nationals during the cold months for those of us who park them.

Last edited by ChopTop; 02-22-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Certainly those are valid points. Now all we need is someone who thinks it is the best way to go to actually do the planning and organization to make it happen.

John
Lexington, KY
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 PM

I had just purchased my car when the 2017 event happened and I really wished I could go. 😕 If it made it's way back to Lexington I'd be really interested.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:51 AM

Garage
Julius is a great guy, he has been a great supporter of our Palm Springs run. He attends most of the San Diego Roadsters events, (which have been few and far between lately), but his love, is his TR4. I know he travels all over to show is car. The Sky they drive is his wife's. I have mentioned the Colorado National, but did not get the impression he had any interest in going that far. I hope to talk with him at the next event, will find out if he is coming. Will let you know.

John is it in your hands, it certainly appears that way.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 AM

As far as I know, the group working on New York is still moving forward, although I haven't seen anything official recently.

In any case there will be an NASSAM 19, because if New York falls through we still have time to set up for Lexington.
CycleCat likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« 2018 | Nassam 2019 »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode