ALABAMA Club anyone? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 PM

Let's Hear an Alabama Roll Call...

Ok we have heard from the regulars and a few newbies ... are there any other Alabama Sol or Sky owners interested in organizing some kind of a group?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sol_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Ah, what was supposed to happen a year ago ...

That became Act I, Scene 1, of the Solstice Love Story, right?

why yes it was!
post #33 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Man View Post
You know you are always invited!

That reminds me . . .there is some old business that should be completed since it was proposed a year ago . . .

AL-GA Sol meet!
That has been awhile since that was brought up,and we here in Atlanta have had some good meets since.Theres alot of people you two haven't met from Ga,Sols and Skys.It would be fun to get our growing Kappa owners together.Everybody knows that goes we always have a great time.Maybe Atlgal will even have her Mysterious if we'd plan a early spring meet.Sol-Man and Gal get something going over there.I know jr. will do a great job getting people to attend from Ga.,she likes organizing these things.

Envious,Sand/Steel,LSD,ABS,A/C,Premium Package,Power Package, Convenience Package,MP3,Floor Mats,Roof Liner,Painted Wheels
Werks Turbo Stage II,Werks high flow cat,AEM Meth /Water injection,AEM gauges, Magnaflow duels,DDM pro beam, DDM induction piping and tune.313 RWHP,351 WTQ

I Am What I Am And Thats All I Am
It's not easy being green
Lead,Follow,or Get over.
post #34 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeWolf View Post
Here!!!

Didn't see this thread! Thanks for the heads-up, Anne!

Been busy with stuff at home, following Bama Football Recruiting, looking over things for the August Dragon Meet.

You all decide something, I'm pretty sure I can be there.
Got any good ideas for local runs or eateries, Wolfie? River Canyon was fairly fun. Cheaha is sometimes covered with gravel. Maybe we could do Barber and a run.

So this cowboy is driving down a back road in Texas... sign in front of a restaurant reads:

Happy Hour Special...
Lobster Tail and Beer

"Lord almighty" he says to himself, "my three favorite things!!" Double Thumbs up!
post #35 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Quote:
So this cowboy is driving down a back road in Texas... sign in front of a restaurant reads:

Happy Hour Special...
Lobster Tail and Beer

"Lord almighty" he says to himself, "my three favorite things!!" Double Thumbs up!
Got an address for that restaurant?

Reminds me of the gas station that closed down for remodeling to add on a restaurant.

They reopened and put out a sign saying:

Eat here and get gas.

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #37 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Alabama Autocross

Folks:

It sounds like the Bama Sols want to find something to do together...

How about racing?

Autocross is wildly addictive fun folks, and we Solfiends have truly excellent ride for this activity. A day at an Autocross event is not only an opportunity to put her through her paces and hopefully embarrass the odd Miata driver, but is a fine social event for hob-nobbing with all kinds of car enthusiasts.

Most of the Sports Car Club of America groups in this area have solidified their schedules for 2007 by now.

I am a member of Tennessee Valley Region SCCA (TVR-SCCA) and Twickenham Auto Club (TAC) in Huntsville AL which are sort of two heads of the same monster and serve North Alabama (but folk from all over are always welcome). TVR-SCCA rigidly follows SCCA rules and event format and TAC has a looser format that usually means you get more runs on the course for the price of admission. Our schedule is as follows:

TAC Events

TAC typically sets up a course and everyone runs it over and over until the end of the event, usually around 5:30. The number of runs is variable based upon turnout, but the field gets at least 6 runs, more if the attendance is light.

Tac# 0 will be Saturday Feb 17th at John Hunt Park (JHP)

This is a Test and Tune event and will have drivers racing for time but the results are not counted for the year's point series - a chance to try out new car mods and get some fresh "seat time" before the real season starts. Y'all Come! Give it a try!

Performance Driving School will be March 23,24,25 at JHP

This is Autocross School for New Competitors and people who want to learn to safely drive a car close to the edge of control - this would be a good entry point for folk who would like to learn the sport. Most SCCA groups run an Autocross school sometime in the spring so there might be one in your area Atlanta, B'ham, Chattanooga, Dothan, and Pensacola are towns that I know have hosted these in the past.

Tac# 1 will be Sunday April 15th at JHP

Tac# 2 will be Sunday July 1st at JHP - Ironman weekend

Ironman weekend is two events back to back - the other event is a Rally-X where competitors drive beater cars on an autocross-like cone course on dirt or sand. Aint doin' Rally-X to my precious Sol, but it looks like lots of fun and I might be picking up an elderly Subaru some day...

Tac# 3 will be Saturday August 11th at JHP

Tac# 4 will be Sunday Sept 16th at Milton Frank Stadium including the Emergency Services Challenge

Police, Fire, Rescue drivers are invited to participate - the Emergency Services turnout tends to be quite good - ever wanna race a cop - and get away with it?

Nite Slalom will be Saturday Oct 6th at JHP

This event is held at night driving by headlights.

Tac# 5 will be Sunday Oct 7th at JHP

Tac# 6 will be Sunday November 18th at JHP

Tac# 7 will be Sunday December 9th at JHP

TVR-SCCA events:

At an SCCA sanctioned event you get a maximum of 3 runs on a course, then they change it around or run it backwards. A 1 day SCCA event will have 6 runs total. But they will offer fun runs after the event for a small sum for those folk who havent had enough.

TVR#1: 12 May

TVR#2/#3 2-3 Jun

This is also a South East Divisional and National Tour event where competitors may also race for series points in SEDiv and to prepare and qualify for the National Championships in Topeka KS. A great opportunity to see the best drivers from all over the Southeast and neighboring regions - and try to beat them!

TVR#4: 15 July

Test and Tune: 25 Aug

This Test and Tune event is an opportunity to work on last minute setup of your car and get some extra "seat time" before the National Championships. This is not part of the local points series, and although primarily intended to prep our Nationals drivers, all comers are welcome.

TVR #5: 26 Aug

TVR#6: 21 Oct

Here is our website:

TVR-SCCA (Huntsville): http://www.teamtac.org/

Here are websites for other groups in the state or close by:

ALSCCA (Birmingham): http://www.alscca.org/
CR-SCCA (Chattanooga): http://www.rivergate5speed.com/scca/soloii/index.html
Wiregrass-SCCA (Dothan): http://www.sccawiregrass.org/
AR-SCCA (Atlanta): http://www.atl-scca.org/
Gulf Coast-SCCA (Pensacola): http://www.gulfcoastregionscca.org/
Dixie-SCCA (Tallahassee): http://www.dixiescca.com/

Let's get together and race!

Cheers;
Bob

Cool NA 2006 VIN#104797 License: AL COOLSOL
Photo Gallery
Southeast Autocross Schedule
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
The five o'clock Friday blows # I got to let it go # Put on my weekend clothes # Turn on the rock 'n' roll
Throw all our cares away # It's a ragtop day! # It's a ragtop day!
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by ehresman; 01-28-2007 at 11:20 AM.
post #38 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks this sounds great and so good to hear from someone new....Sol_man is reading all of this and will explain it to me since I just know how to watch racing on tv ... count us in on some of these events!!
post #39 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Excellent! I'm interested! I've been searching for opportunities like this ehresman

I noticed that we could possibly do something at "Little Talladega" for around $200. Barber is pricey!
post #40 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 PM

The Birmingham group ALSCCA does most of their racing at the Hoover Met. I believe their season starts on March 18th.... here is a post of their schedule...

Quote:
2007 ALSCCA Solo Schedule

3/18
4/22
5/13
6/10
7/8
8/19
9/23
10/28

Solo Page: http://www.alscca.org/solo2/index.shtml

Event Schedule:

We normally try to follow this schedule for our events. Local conditions may alter this schedule.

7:00 Gates Open
7:30-9:00 Registration
8:00 to 9:00 Tech Inspections
9:00 Registration Closes
9:00-9:15 Devotional
9:15 Driver’s Meeting
9:45 Workers on Course
10:00 Start Timed Runs
5:00 Trophy Presentation
5:30 Clean Up

Hoover Met Stadium

Coming from I-459

Take I-459 towards Tuscaloosa and exit at the Hoover Met #10 exit. Turn left at light and go under
I-459 interstate overpass. At the 3rd traffic light turn right onto Stadium Trace Parkway. Follow
Stadium Trace Parkway for about 2-3 miles and the stadium is on the left.

The Met is the home of the Birmingham Barons Minor League Baseball team, Hoover High School Football
Stadium, Seating capacity of 10,000, Banquet facilities, concession, Baseball game B.B.Q picnic
facilities and Skybox suites. Call #988-3200
But if you come on up to Huntsville in Feb you can get a jump on the season!

Cheers;
Bob

Photo Gallery
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
The five o'clock Friday blows # I got to let it go # Put on my weekend clothes # Turn on the rock 'n' roll
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by ehresman; 01-27-2007 at 09:36 PM.
post #41 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Two driver cars are lots of fun. Rob Cayse aka rwc_617, the guy who has the actual AL SOL-MAN license plate, drives here with his 2 sons, some events both of them, in his Deep.

Im actually planning to race in Chattanooga on Feb 3. They have gotten the earliest start this year north of Valdosta GA.

If you look up any post by Brentil, he has a collection of pretty good posts about getting started in Autocross. The TAC site has some good ones too. But I will be happy to answer any questions. I'm new but I have been going at it pretty hard since I started. I am setting up for my 5th event and getting involved locally in working events.

Cheers;
Bob

Photo Gallery
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by ehresman; 01-27-2007 at 09:37 PM.
post #42 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Dragon Rider

Send a message via AIM to SolsticeWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SolsticeWolf
Quote:
Excellent! I'm interested! I've been searching for opportunities like this ehresman

I noticed that we could possibly do something at "Little Talladega" for around $200. Barber is pricey!
A large enough Group and the Talladega Grand Prix is managable. Barber is probably more expensive AND I believe you have to use plain water for coolant and pull all the lights fuses. Would be fun though.

The more fun road to Cheaha from 21 is unfortunately more gravel in some areas but is very similar to Dragon in terms of contours.

Honda Associate, Solstice Owner
2006 Mysterious Steel/Sand
Personal tag: PURNRG = PURe eNeRGy!!!!

Last edited by SolsticeWolf; 01-28-2007 at 06:47 AM.
post #43 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeWolf View Post
A large enough Group and the Talladega Grand Prix is managable. Barber is probably more expensive AND I believe you have to use plain water for coolant and pull all the lights fuses. Would be fun though.

The more fun road to Cheaha from 21 is unfortunately more gravel in some areas but is very similar to Dragon in terms of contours.
ALSCCA is running a Time Trials School this spring for folk who want to gt into Time Trials and Club Racing. There is also a school in Atlanta. ALSCCA operates events at Barber and Talledega. But if you enter either of these sports you will have to cage the Solstice.

I would check with the venues mentioned above - I have my doubts they will accept open roadsters without cages for any kind of high speed driving.

Here in Huntsville we run the annual Crow Mountain Hill Climb Time Trials event above Scottsboro.

http://www.crowmountainhillclimb.org/

I havent actually worked one of those yet, joined too late. I've been meaning to go up and see what the course looks like first hand, but it does look very twisty on the map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.167542&om=1

Might ride up there and check it out this afternoon.

Edit - yep, it's twisty alright, may have scared all aspirations of Time Trial racing the Crow right out of me - aged pavement that feels very nervous at the steering wheel, big rock outcroppings that come right up to the shoulder, and lots of old growth trees that arent much less close. It's also rather short and surprisingly busy - probably not worth it for folk who live in other parts of the state to come drive. It will be a heckuva show for a corner-worker though.

Cheers;
Bob

Photo Gallery
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by ehresman; 01-29-2007 at 03:53 PM.
post #44 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

'BAMA Meet

I'm in for the meet whenever is best. Courtesy Pontiac may be interested in hosting our first gathering.

2007 Red GXP
post #45 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:50 PM

That sounds like a great idea ... how about checking into that for us. Sol_man is working on a few ideas I'll have him post when he gets home from work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode