ALABAMA Club anyone? - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeWolf View Post
Dad's fine, thanks for asking!

I'm very pleased with who Saban was able to draw in a months work. Maze will be a real asset to the Tide. Wish we could have landed McKnight, Louisiana would've gone thermonuclear!!

I would love to check out the SCCA events.

I have to get with a friend of mine. He keeps telling me of Hwy. 25 from Leeds to anlong 280 and maybe beyond. Real big with the motor cycle crowd and 29 Dreams Motorcycle Resort is along the way. Could gather at Barbers and then hit it.
we have been hearing the same thing from several people. Lloyd works out near the 280 part to the drive and I've seen a few of the roads and they do look good ... first good weather we need to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Dragon Rider

Send a message via AIM to SolsticeWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SolsticeWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsticegal View Post
we have been hearing the same thing from several people. Lloyd works out near the 280 part to the drive and I've seen a few of the roads and they do look good ... first good weather we need to check it out.
If y'all want a third car along, let me know!

Honda Associate, Solstice Owner
2006 Mysterious Steel/Sand
Personal tag: PURNRG = PURe eNeRGy!!!!

post #63 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
If y'all want a third car along, let me know!
that's why I said that the more cars the better !!!! We have to go before Sol_man gets another speeding ticket
post #64 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasolstice1 View Post
My quick "fun run" is Hugh Daniels to Hwy 41. Hwy 41 to HWY 25 ( great views on top of the mountain) and down to Sterrett. Then, out 43 to 280.
Only problem DEER!
Isn't there sometime of year that the deer aren't allowed on the roads? If not we need to get some legislation passed real soon cause I don't want no stinkin deers trying to ride shot-gun
post #65 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Location: Deep in the land of cotton where good times there are not forgotten
Quote:
Isn't there sometime of year that the deer aren't allowed on the roads? If not we need to get some legislation passed real soon cause I don't want no stinkin deers trying to ride shot-gun
Iffen yall hit a deer I wood love ta partake of sum of tha meat.. It be better than sum of tha roadkill I pick up around here..Skip...Tha airdam under tha Sky works real good at scooping fresh roadkill inta tha radiator an then after driving two hours I have lunch...
post #66 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Dragon Rider

Send a message via AIM to SolsticeWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SolsticeWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Iffen yall hit a deer I wood love ta partake of sum of tha meat.. It be better than sum of tha roadkill I pick up around here..Skip...Tha airdam under tha Sky works real good at scooping fresh roadkill inta tha radiator an then after driving two hours I have lunch...
Now how did I guess you'd pop up with that post, Skip?

Honda Associate, Solstice Owner
2006 Mysterious Steel/Sand
Personal tag: PURNRG = PURe eNeRGy!!!!

post #67 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Now how did I guess you'd pop up with that post, Skip?
Because I am a good cook and love to eat? I think it is because I am resident redneck on tha Sky forum...Skip..Dang over there they think we still have one seat outhouses. Shoo I gots me a two seater sos I do not have ta clean it as much...Hehehe..
post #68 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sol_Man
post #69 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Man View Post
Ya'll are outta our leeg. We still use one like this 'cuz we like topless. . .
(Uh oh, people are going to flame me for this one.)

Hey, Sol_Man, what do you call that? Your Stoolstice?

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #70 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
(Uh oh, people are going to flame me for this one.)

Hey, Sol_Man, what do you call that? Your Stoolstice?

That be your Porto-potty. Just stick it in your trunk. Ooooo on the decklid if it is a Sol....Skip... No trunk...
post #71 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sol_Man
Yep, that's our semi-porta-potty specially designed for convertible lovers who don't like a roof over their heads.
Now, here is a porta potty!

Last edited by Sol_Man; 02-11-2007 at 08:46 AM.
post #72 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Huntsville Auto-X Test & Tune event....

Folks:

I cant blame anyone who looked at the weather report for Saturday and decided not to come check out Twickenham Auto Club's TAC #0 Autocross Event. Dressing warmly was essential!

But let me tell you we had some serious fun!

We set up a slalom practice along the old taxiway, and about a 32 second course on the old runway. Since this was not a competition, we were able to use a "lean" worker crew out on the course and everybody got a boat load of runs. I was in worker group 1 (of 4) and got 3 runs each on the slalom practice plus 8 runs each on the timed course in between my work sessions, and again after my last worker session. This was 6 and 16 runs total! My arms were actually sore from all the steering, winding and unwinding, and I was sweating with the top down when I finally parked in the pit area for the last time.

Anyone who came out for this event as a "First Timer" would be seriously spoiled for regular events.

The next Huntsville event is our Performance Driving School weekend March 23-25, a Friday evening of sit down class, Saturday driving with experienced race instructors, and Sunday competing in our local regional series event TAC #1.

TAC Website: http://www.teamtac.org

The next area event I am aware of is February 25 in Birmingham at the Birmingham Race Course (A horse track with an enormous parking lot), hosted by Alabama Region Sports Car Club of America. This is their Test & Tune event, which usually means "not for series points".

ALSCCA Website: http://alscca.org

Cheers;
Bob

Cool NA 2006 VIN#104797 License: AL COOLSOL
Photo Gallery
Southeast Autocross Schedule
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
The five o'clock Friday blows # I got to let it go # Put on my weekend clothes # Turn on the rock 'n' roll
Throw all our cares away # It's a ragtop day! # It's a ragtop day!
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by ehresman; 02-18-2007 at 12:55 PM.
post #73 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehresman View Post
Folks:

I cant blame anyone who looked at the weather report for Saturday and decided not to come check out Twickenham Auto Club's TAC #0 Autocross Event. Dressing warmly was essential!

But let me tell you we had some serious fun!

We set up a slalom practice along the old taxiway, and about a 32 second course on the old runway. Since this was not a competition, we were able to use a "lean" worker crew out on the course and everybody got a boat load of runs. I was in worker group 1 (of 4) and got 3 runs each on the slalom practice plus 8 runs each on the timed course in between my work sessions, and again after my last worker session. This was 6 and 16 runs total! My arms were actually sore from all the steering, winding and unwinding, and I was sweating with the top down when I finally parked in the pit area for the last time.

Anyone who came out for this event as a "First Timer" would be seriously spoiled for regular events.

The next Huntsville event is our Performance Driving School weekend March 23-25, a Friday evening of sit down class, Saturday driving with experienced race instructors, and Sunday competing in our local regional series event TAC #1.

TAC Website: http://www.teamtac.org

The next area event I am aware of is February 25 in Birmingham at the Birmingham Race Course (A horse track with an enormous parking lot), hosted by Alabama Region Sports Car Club of America. This is their Test & Tune event, which usually means "not for series points".

ALSCCA Website: http://alscca.org

Cheers;
Bob
thanks for the heads up Bob,
Sol_man and I plan on coming out to see what it's all about .... no racing for me but I love to watch. Hope to see you at the B'ham Race Course on the 25th
post #74 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
thanks for the heads up Bob,
Sol_man and I plan on coming out to see what it's all about .... no racing for me but I love to watch. Hope to see you at the B'ham Race Course on the 25th
Whether I come out or not depends largely on my son's soccer. This is right at the beginning of Spring season and they are sort of winging their schedule right now. I know there is a tryout next weekend but I dont know which days he has to be there yet.

I havent raced at Birmingham yet and I am looking forward to trying it. If I do come out, I will be happy to give you shotgun rides before your turns come up. But most autocross folk are happy to take Novices around a few times (here in Huntsville it is actually one of the duties for the old hands). Definitely ride with someone before your first run - knowing how hard to attack the course the first time is a big problem for First Timers, and it will help you to not get lost on the course if you ride it with someone experienced. Some of the more experienced drivers will give you plenty of tips.

Even if you decide not to drive, ask for rides! Even as a passenger, it can be a whole lot of fun! About as close to a rollercoaster experience as you are going find on flat ground. There was a 20-something guy at the event yesterday in an STI with a big posse of friends watching and I think he went around quite a few times with a whole car load of passengers (all wearing helmets of course). I had a guy come up who was curious about the Solstice and trying to decide whether to buy one or get a Miata. I had him grab a helmet and took him around 3 times and he said getting a Miata was definitely out.

If you have some motorcycle helmets, check them to see if they are Snell 2000 or 2005 rated. If they are, you can use 'em at the event. The club should have loaners for you to use, but it is kind of a hassle if they have more loanees than loaners and folk are having to switch between runs. Here in Huntsville we rarely run out, I think we have something like 20 or 30 helmets but up in Chattanooga they only had something like 8. There is a guy named Ken Gaines from RFR Race Parts who comes to a lot of area events and sells a nice open face Snell 2005 helmet for about $65.

I would strongly advise reading this document: Solo II Novice Handbook

It is a fairly accurate description of all the goings on at Autocross events, and giving it a read will tell you what to expect and what is expected from you. Different groups differ in the details, but you wont have many surprises.

Cheers;
Bob

Photo Gallery
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
The five o'clock Friday blows # I got to let it go # Put on my weekend clothes # Turn on the rock 'n' roll
- Jimmy Buffett
post #75 of 134 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:44 PM

TAC Performance Driving School

Folks:

The Twickenham Auto Club has settled the details of our autocross school. Here 'tis:

Twickenham Auto Club Performance Driving School 2007 Flyer

EDIT: Class limited to 60 students, here is where to preregister:

Twickenham Auto Club Autocross Event Preregistration

Cheers;
Bob

Photo Gallery
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by ehresman; 02-22-2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode