Iowa Lincoln Highway Ride, August 18th to the 21st, 2016 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Iowa Lincoln Highway Ride, August 18th to the 21st, 2016

I'm planning on running the Iowa Lincoln Highway Association's Motor Tour this year. It will run from Clinton Iowa on the Mississippi river to Boone Iowa along the old Lincoln Highway. It is scheduled for August 19th through the 21st, but I'll also do the optional ride on Thursday the 18th up the river on the Great River Road to Galena Illinois and back to Clinton.

There are also featured stops in Lowden, DeWitt, Iowa City, The Amana Colonies, Marshalltown, State Center, and Ames. I'm looking it as an "Eat your way across Iowa ride." Last year, there were 22 cars in the group that traveled the Lincoln Highway into Nebraska. It would sure be nice to have maybe 6 to 10 Solstices on this year's run.

Here is a link to the web event page: Motor Tour - Iowa Lincoln Highway Association

Last edited by GrandpaSolstice; 05-19-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 09:34 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Very cool!

Hope you get good participation

Take lots of pictures

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 06:48 AM

I'll have to see if I can make it. I pretty much live right on Lincoln between Ames and Marshalltown.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24 View Post
I'll have to see if I can make it. I pretty much live right on Lincoln between Ames and Marshalltown.
If you can't make the ride, at least come on out to wave as we drive through. If not, I'll just invite the entire group to stop at your place for a brew or two.

Notice: Please be forewarned that Grandpa's tongue is frequently planted firmly in his cheek.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaSolstice View Post
If you can't make the ride, at least come on out to wave as we drive through. If not, I'll just invite the entire group to stop at your place for a brew or two.
Will do, and I'm always up for having a beer!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll be heading to Clinton Wednesday night to be ready for the Thursday morning run up to Galena. Then we'll be back in Clinton again Wednesday night. The main ride begins on Thursday, Day 1 below.

Day 1

Our first stop will be Smith Brothers Store in Clinton. Then we will proceed to DeWitt to Lincoln Park where we will have liquid refreshments and tour the Hausbarn and Petro Stop (old filling station). We will have an hour there so if we need to we will split into two groups to tour both sites.

Our next stop will be in Lowden where we will have lunch. Then we take the Hoover Highway to West Branch to visit the Hoover Memorial. From there we will go to Coralville and visit a car and historical museum, then to the hotels.

Day 2

We visit the Amanas (Main Amana) and will have lunch there before we leave. Then we are off to Belle Plaine, then a winery, and then to Tama to the LH bridge and park. Then to Marshalltown to the hotels, banquet, and door prizes.

Day 3

Our first stop will be State Center where we have some wonderful tours set up. Then we will proceed to Niland’s Corner for a short visit and then we are off to Ames where we will view a video and have lunch. We will be having box lunches brought in from HyVee. Then we will take a drive to Boone to tour the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace and that will be where we will conclude our 2016 tour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode